Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 123 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Back to basics....
Page: of 33

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  4:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well done Tony.

What is the base material for your tanks? Sorry if I missed it.

trains4ms
Section Hand

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  6:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Great job on the two tanks. They really look good. I have been following your many builds here on this forum, and really appreciate you taking the time to post for us.

Can I ask you what your valve castings item number is?

Mike S.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  7:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,
Thank you. The base material for my tanks, if I get your question right, is 7/16" styrene (Evergreen) tubing, cut about 1" long, with a 1/16" end face sanded smooth and round on the outside edges after gluing on. Did I get that right????

And mike, thank you also, and for following along. You may ask, and it is a good thing I have each valve and union in a separate bin labeled so I can re-order. So, it is PSC's Globe Valve #48197. It comes 3 valves to a casting cored. I used a 1/32" drill to clean them out for the styrene rod to go through.

Thanks for asking.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  7:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's exactly what I meant Tony, thank you.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  7:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

That's exactly what I meant Tony, thank you.

Your welcome.

While I'm here, thought I'd post a supersized picture of the valves, in case anyone is interested. The closest valve also has a union attached to attach the hose, made from 1/32" solder. Had to sand down the end of it a bit to fit the castings.

Tony Burgess

trains4ms
Section Hand

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  9:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfect, thanks so much. I will see if my local hobby shop has those in stock.

Mike S.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  4:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trains4ms

Perfect, thanks so much. I will see if my local hobby shop has those in stock.

Mike S.

If not, I ordered them either from PSC, or from Walthers. Can't remember which.

Tony Burgess

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2018 :  03:43:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, I am really impressed by the extrardinary level of detailing you've reached on this build.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2018 :  5:36:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

Tony, I am really impressed by the extraordinary level of detailing you've reached on this build.

Me too, to be honest. Thank you. I appreciate that.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2018 :  12:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure I mentioned this, but I started looking at this thread from page 1, and realized I showed a picture of a blossoming layout. Well, a month or so back, I ended up tearing all that down. As many of us may have done, I found out the hard way that I am not really into layouts as much as I am into dioramas. So as things go, this engine shed will now have a better chance of looking like a 'complete' set of buildings when the blacksmith shop, machine shop etc., will be added later, as before, I was struggling on where to put the other buildings. So this will now be part of a larger diorama than a layout.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2018 :  1:22:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just got these two Alco brass N&W 2-8-0 G1's, #6 and 7, back from Mark Guiffre at allbrassbackshop4664 a couple of weeks ago after a new paint job, motor installs, coal loads, decals, wipers (wheels)lights and MC2 Soundtraxx decoders. They run great together. Now that I don't have a layout, I can't wait to get going on a longer diorama to give them a better run than a quick set up on a piece of 3' track.

Tony Burgess

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2018 :  2:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What handsome power you got there!

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2018 :  4:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

I agree with Bob. Little brutes they are. If they donít motivate a person to lay some track I donít know what will.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2018 :  6:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert and Mike, thank you. I have never had any loco custom painted before, and these two are among my favorite engines, and I have always wanted them to run well and look good. It was costly, but I think it was worth it.

Tony Burgess

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 09/23/2018 :  2:09:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those 2-8-0's are quite handsome, Tony. Great workhorses, I'm sure. Super modeling in the environs around the locos as well!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Page: of 33 Topic Next Topic: Back to basics....  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000