Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry
Page: of 33

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/21/2018 :  9:56:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tony,
that's looking really good, such a great starting point to work from.
the addition of colour tones (and detail) to your 'new' wood as I suggested really elevates the appearance, as I'm sure you'll agree. 100x better than bare stripwood, very nicely done.

My one minor angst is the 'fuzzies/splinters' on the old wood, prob not noticible in person, but in close ups they show out.
Check out Ken Karns thread on weathering stripwood, he's prob the best HO scale modeler out there right now and we can all learn a thing or two from him.

You already have some good ideas on how to take this further, such as the visible old nail holes in the cross beams where boards have been removed.
That will be a nice touch. As you know, i did mine subtle so as not to over power the scene, I look forward to seeing your next set of pics.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 08/21/2018 10:02:16 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  07:32:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Very nice job on the mini heavy duty flat. The contrast between the old and new wood is very effective. (I have to agree with Karl on the fuzzies.)

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  4:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Woo-hoo, he likes it, he likes it

Seriously, thank you, yes, I too agree about the fuzzies, and it will be fixed, or hidden. It wasn't that noticeable before I took the pictures.

Thanks Mike. Seems I am on the right track (pun intended)

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Edited by - Nelson458 on 08/22/2018 4:51:10 PM

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2018 :  6:27:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still have a little more to do to this truck. I want to add a lid of sorts to the 'box' area, and a cap to the oil drum, more rust streaks behind the car, and so on. I just had enough for today.

Tony Burgess

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2018 :  9:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great, Tony. For most of us that would be a completed model.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2018 :  11:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Looks like that car has been worked pretty hard in the past.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2018 :  05:45:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Outstanding work. Great job

John

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2018 :  06:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding work on this flat car. One spring on the rear truck looks out of sync, perhaps that wasn't intentional, but it certainly looks authentic for a well used car. Also like the old nails and old weathered wood.
Rich

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2018 :  5:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks George, you might be right, but I have some grandiose plans coming up for this one.

Mike, yes, that is my intention, and is under a major overhaul.

Thanks John.

Thanks Rich, yes, one spring is out of sync. When I saw that, I thought I'd leave it there.

One of my ideas, since the car is going for an overhaul, the two tanks, (oil drum and water tank adjacent to it) need to be drained before they can be taken apart or removed, so one hose is in place, and will be draining to a tank below the truck (to come later), and the wooden water tank will have an open hatch with a larger hose inside, and attached to a pump, to pump out the water through an open window to the river (yet to be...) outside. How's that for a unique idea

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2018 :  10:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Sounds like your loco shed is a future EPA Superfund site in the making.

Mike

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2018 :  5:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

Sounds like your loco shed is a future EPA Superfund site in the making.

Mike

Might be why they started it in the first place

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2018 :  5:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seems the smallest of details takes the longest. Any-way's, I have added a few, starting with the tank 'spout' and leaving it open so I can add a hose which will drain it before pulling it apart. I have ordered some pumps to pump the water outside. Also added some grab irons on the ends, sledge hammer and crow bars and a beer bottle someone left behind.

What else???? open can of nails, or spilled can of nails(?), step ladder, and anything else I can think of without overdoing it.

Tony Burgess

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/02/2018 :  6:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A pair of leather work gloves. THERE's a detail I've never seen modeled in any scale.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2018 :  6:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me neither.

O scale.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  10:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, I'm not so sure I have ever seen it either.

Tony Burgess

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000