Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 154 ]  [ Total: 163 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry
Page: of 33

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  6:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Spent the day between watching the Tour de France and making and detailing some details for the model.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  7:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,

That 3 cylinder air compressor is really cool! Did you cast those parts? This shed project has been a head turner in every phase.

Jim

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  8:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great detail work, Tony.

I've been out of town and today is the first chance I've had to watch the Tour. I watched the first half of today's stage, but recorded it and am about to watch the big climb.

George

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  8:31:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim, thank you, no, the compressor is a 3-D part from Rusty Stumps.

George, Saturdays stage, 14 I think, was a killer at the end. I'll let you watch it, no crashes, thank goodness. Would love to know where Lawson comes in on this stage. He is an inspiration to all. Raised almost $115,000.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2018 :  4:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you all ready for more details??? OK, here is where I am at now. I may or may not be totally finished on this wall, I have a blank area to the rear that I feel needs more 'treatment'. But, adding the details to a wall before it goes in is far better than doing it when in place. Enjoy.

Tony Burgess

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2018 :  4:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking super, Tony !!

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2018 :  4:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Terrell

Looking super, Tony !!

Thank you Terrell.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  9:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Terrific lineup of hardware. We need to start calling you Tony the tool man.

Mike

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  4:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

Terrific lineup of hardware. We need to start calling you Tony the tool man.

Mike

I am perfectly fine wiht that, Mike. A fine nickname indeed.

Tony the tool man.

Tony Burgess

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  12:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that the bar is so high, I fully expect to see flies around the outhouse and the dead mouse in the corner of the building....
Amazing work, tony.
Cheers,
Dave

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  5:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Clark

Now that the bar is so high, I fully expect to see flies around the outhouse and the dead mouse in the corner of the building....
Amazing work, tony.
Cheers,
Dave

So your telling me you didn't see the mouse?? Must have been scared off by the birds.
I'll keep a look out, hope he didn't get loose in the house.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  5:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally have the car side wall in, but not necessarily finished. I added a rack for some lumber storage.

The first set of photos show the shelf bracket construction out of 2x4's.

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 08/05/2018 5:35:48 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  7:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Its looking good but, you spent all that time trying to make 45 or 30 angle bracing for the shelves, even though they were going to be hidden, which is commendable.
But then you went and loaded the shelves up with bare uncoloured stripwood, with rough cut ends.
Come on, I know you can do better than that... dont rush it.

Karl.A

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  8:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Tony,

Its looking good but, you spent all that time trying to make 45 or 30 angle bracing for the shelves, even though they were going to be hidden, which is commendable.
But then you went and loaded the shelves up with bare uncoloured stripwood, with rough cut ends.
Come on, I know you can do better than that... dont rush it.

Karl.A

That's funny, but the wood is supposed to be fresh lumber to repair an upcoming car, after all, it is a engine and car shop. The ends are rough cut from the mill, the final size will be cut to length when replacing bad boards on the car.

Would that make sense, or do you still think they should still be weathered or colored a bit???

Tony Burgess

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  8:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I know its supposed to be fresh lumber, but, bare stripwood doesn't look like fresh lumber, it looks like strip wood.
and for this model that's not good enough, it will detract.

Gimme a few mins and I'll find you some pics, you'll see the difference it makes.

Edit: I tried to find you some of Bill Michaels incredible pictures of "new, raw wood" from his amazing HO sawmill, but, gave up till tomorrow, so, for now, here's my version.

Edited by - UKGuy on 08/05/2018 11:02:21 PM

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.8 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000