Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 125 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry
Page: of 33

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  11:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, it appears that the designs would need to be redrawn for the larger scale since they need more detail and the cost would be about 7 times that of HO since Shapeways charges by volume of printing material. ....and now you know the rest of the story....
Cheers,
Dave

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2018 :  1:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Clark

So, it appears that the designs would need to be redrawn for the larger scale since they need more detail and the cost would be about 7 times that of HO since Shapeways charges by volume of printing material. ....and now you know the rest of the story....
Cheers,
Dave

WOW, that was not what I had expected. I know the costs of many items I had ordered in the past had gone up in price, and glad I got them when I did. I have heard that from some designers as well, sounds like they are trying to make more for themselves (Shapeways that is) and not helping to sell a product. I also noted the type of material on many items has changed, used to get "extreme detail", now I see a lot of "plastic". That being said, I don't see any other company doing anything like this, except Walt at Rusty Stumps is doing pretty good right now.

I had ordered, one of several items, several packs of wheel barrows, as I even had a hard time getting some on Shapeways. His barrows are very well done.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  11:03:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry I haven't been able to get anything posted for a while, but, I wanted to get your thoughts. I painted, if you can call it painting, all these resin, and one metal, castings using only soft pastel chalks. To me it gives a feel of dust laden shelving that isn't used that often. I kinda like it, but wanted some views of others. In some cases, like the bench, I will be adding some extra details. These all come from Sierra West Scale Models if I remember right.

Tony Burgess

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  12:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
My view is OMG...what fantastic work!!
Dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  12:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Junk. I must be a junkie 'cause I love good junk.

It's only make-believe

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  2:08:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave and Robert, thank you. Seeing the details close up makes you forget how small these are sometimes. Here is a reminder. Since I posted these, I refined them a bit with some A/I solution, cuts into the crevices a little better.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  4:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

They look great. Lots of dirt and grime.

Mike

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  4:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you found what you were looking for.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  8:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, and Terrell, yes, I believe I have. Thanks.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2018 :  5:40:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a couple of details I have been working on. Been a slooooow week. One is a set of steps I found on Shapeways, and really all I needed to do was weather it. The other are two rusted Grandt Line drums and a shelf detail from Sierra West. I tried my best to make sure the joint line on the drums were on the back side, and what-da-ya-know, I missed it on one. OK, I'll have to put something in front of it when I put it on the scene.

Tony Burgess

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  11:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just catching up here Tony. Your detail work is so very good.

Seeing this will be your first (new) diorama looking forward to the other buildings that go with it.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  10:41:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Just catching up here Tony. Your detail work is so very good.

Seeing this will be your first (new) diorama looking forward to the other buildings that go with it.

Thanks Jerry, I am open to ideas on supporting structures. I have a few in my head, but nothing set in stone yet.

Tony Burgess

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  11:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After my EH/MS. I'm going to do the water tank, sand house & fueling.

Just some thought for you.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  11:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The painting and weathering of your details is very good.

As you think, so will you be.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  5:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerry, that seems the basics. And what I had in mind. I just seem to think there might be something else out there I haven't thought of.

Thanks Rick, appreciate your comments.

Tony Burgess

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000