Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 125 ]  [ Total: 126 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry
Page: of 33

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/20/2018 :  12:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Tony. It also looks like you're having fun.

It's only make-believe

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 05/20/2018 :  5:38:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll second that, Looking Good.

How's your eye sight now?

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/20/2018 :  6:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

- I like how Titebond grabs quickly, which means when I have to make numerous assemblies I can remove the results from the jig almost immediately. This allows me to check for glue that sneaked out on the backs before itís dried and also I can work quickly.

- great job on the tools.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 05/20/2018 :  8:45:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert, thank you, and yes, I am having fun.

Thanks Bernd, well, actually, getting better. I have a scar forming on my retina, had a shot 3 weeks ago into my eye, and it was improving a little, my next shot of 3 will be in 2 weeks. When I use that eye only, it's like looking at everything through very wavy glass and is covered in a layer of concrete, which makes everything the same dull grey, and looks a lot smaller the further it is away, compared to the good eye. Up close, not too bad right now, but not something I can use exclusively.

Mike, thanks. Yes, Titebond does indeed work quickly. I hadn't used it before on models, but now I have been converted. I still use a dab of white glue on occasion, when it isn't required to hold tight right away, like holding down the sawdust on the bench.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  12:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Building up a wall partition which adds to the supporting the exterior walls. I added two 4 x 4's to the end or back side of shed, and one at the opposite corner, adjacent to the shorter length wall. The beams going up were made of 3x12's spliced together for a 6x12 beam, as the lengths I had were too short. Splicing more prototypically would have looked better, but I didn't want to go through the trouble of it, to be honest. The beams are now ready to add some supports of their own to create a division between the two sections. I added some 1x6's to the supporting beams, rusted as one would to represent a steel connector, and added some small NBW's.

Next, I plan on building up some machines for the engine side, starting with this one:

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 05/22/2018 12:11:12 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  5:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just getting caught up Tony. Looking real good.

I can't believe that you bought a Western Scale Lathe in HO while he was making them, or are you scratching it???

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  5:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That interior looks great Tony!

And like the use of 1 x 6 wood rust painted to appear as a steel connector..

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  6:37:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great job, Tony! Everything is done very well.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  8:26:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Just getting caught up Tony. Looking real good.

I can't believe that you bought a Western Scale Lathe in HO while he was making them, or are you scratching it???

Thanks Jerry, actually, I did scratchbuild one copied from the details in this kit, as I only have the one. I'm hesitant to use this kit as is, and am holding off just a little bit to see if I want to scratch another.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  8:30:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl and Michael, thank you.

Yes, at first I was going to leave it as wood, but it didn't look right to me, nor did it stand out, So I gave it a rust treatment using Vallejo paints, they have a rust weathering set that really works well. I used some Grandt Line NBW's for added detail. The whole piece in there is still removable, so I can add some additional details before I glue it in.

Up next, a tutorial on how I make a wood bench.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  8:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, I just finished (except for adding handles and maybe some lower braces) a wood work bench.

This is a new method for me, and one I like now as it turns out very sturdy.

For starters, I glued up three 2x12's and a 2x6 for the top, just about 2" long.
While at it, I glued a few pieces of 1x12 for the drawer bottoms. I wasn't going to have them actually open as I have done in the past, so I wasn't fussy about them. I just glued up some 2x4 (I think) for the sides, and trimmed the outsides flush. They turned out to be about .36" in width.

I then glued up some 4x10's (to the sizes written on the pieces) with the legs attached, then I added a 2x12 strip on the face of these. A sturdy combo already. I trimmed the ends using a 2x12 as a spacer, then glued another 2x12 for the side, then glued on a piece of 4x10 to that. I kept everything square on the ends, and kept the lengths to within a few thousandths of each other for accuracy.

Then in photo 9 below, I set up some blocks, with a 2x12 as a spacer in the front for a 2" overhang, used the drawers as a temporary spacer, then glued them in an open position.

I finished up by adding a short spacer under the drawers and finishing off the rear legs in a similar manner. A little A/I solution to touch up, and presto, a bench ready for a lot of tools.

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 05/22/2018 9:01:27 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2018 :  12:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Western Scale Models Kits a real joy to build. I really am enjoying watch your build and it's letting me recall the fun I had building my own shop. Well done Tony.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2018 :  08:52:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

My idea file is bulging with all your tutorials. The bench looks simply marvelous.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2018 :  4:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert and Mike, thank you for your kind comments. I believe this site is all about sharing, and if I have helped someone in the mean time, I'm happy to have helped.

Tony Burgess

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2018 :  07:09:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
You are doing such an amazing job to this build. I especially like the interior of the engine house, ie: walls, and the appearance of the scenery outside, in one of your pictures. Can you show what you have done on the outside scenery?
I believe those drawers on the workbench would open and close better by the use of drawer slides!

Rich

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000