Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: banta modelworks hillside water tower kitbash Topic Next Topic: Tellynott corner module
Page: of 33

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  3:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terrell and Dave, thank you.

Here are two pcs of what I finished last night. I don't get that much done during the week, long work ours and working out in the afternoon too. C'est la vie.

I have yet to put the bolts on the last set of hinges, I wanted to let the ACC glue take a good hold first. Despite it's "instant" setting characteristics, it can still jar loose if prompted the wrong way. So why take a chance.

ďFar and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  5:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome doors and tutorials.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  5:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hon3_rr

Awesome doors and tutorials.

I'll second that!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  7:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kris and Jerry.

If there is any detail I am not explaining well, I hope you'll speak up, I try my best, but may also fall short.

Thank you all for your input and comments. I have a long way yet to go.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  10:41:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wanted to show a few things and details. First off, the miter box I use from UMM. The blade has a fine and course set of teeth. The fine is about 6 teeth per 1/16", or somewhere near 96tpi. You would think a fine tooth like this would give out in no time, however, I have cut 40 pieces off the brass tubing, with on average, 3 slices of the blade per cut. It doesn't take long. And this is not a new blade, having used it before this project.

As for holding the small tube in the miter box, I use my thumb to hold it down, a couple of fingers on the back side of the box, and one finger giving a slight bit of pressure behind it, just enough to give a slight bend. This prevents the tube from spinning, and appears to be pretty sturdy.

After the 1/16" long bits of tubing for the hinge is cut off, I do the other end to get 2 pieces, then I take a .020" to .024" drill bit to deburr the ends, as it does leave a little burr which would prevent the .012" brass rod from going in smoothly. I haven't had much problem with the opposite end of the cut off piece, as the 'rod' should clean it out.

If you use too small a drill to clean it out, it leaves a ragged edge.

The .005" brass sheet I cut is done on a Fiskars paper cutter. My wife had one, and it works well for this. I measure the cut off width with a scale off each end, not using the back end of the cutter, as it had a tendency to not start easily. Another type of cutter may not have this problem. I had used a pair of good quality scissors, but it curled up more. This isn't such a big deal, as when I use sandpaper to sand the brass faces prior o soldering, I straighten it out at the same time; the biggest problem would be getting a consistent width.

Cleaning and straightening at the same time:

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  12:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

This is all useful information. Thank you.

I wonder if those paper cutters are available at Michaels? Will I remember to take a coupon? Or be able to find a coupon on my phone? Only one way to find out.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  2:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

This is all useful information. Thank you.

I wonder if those paper cutters are available at Michaels? Will I remember to take a coupon? Or be able to find a coupon on my phone? Only one way to find out.

Mike

Thank you Mike, and yes, I think they are. If not, another compatible brand should work. Mine had a strong suredness (if that's a word) that said to me it would cut anything. If you get the option, try one out first. If it feels a little weak, or you have to hold it in a lot, then it might not work (guessing...). The feel I get from mine is a solid feel like you have to give the handle some force to move it, and even then, I hold it in somewhat, just to make sure.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  2:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another note, the saw and miter box are available from UMM-USA at http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/index.php?cPath=21_28.

If you intend to get one, they have good prices right now, not sure if that is because of the season(???) either way, if I had bought them now instead of 6 years ago, I'd have saved 10 bucks on these items alone.

Tony Burgess

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  7:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where art thou!! Tony!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  10:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Where art thou!! Tony!!

Jerry,
He's over here helping me put Martin's together!
Rich

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  1:44:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry. So sorry, so, so sorry, I have been really caught up in other things. First off I wanted to take a couple weeks off and build something different, a Funaro & Carmerlengo Wabash war emergency gondola, just to get my mind off the shed for a while, and do a challenge that started with the forum doing a 'get one off the shelf challenge', which led to another after that, the American Model Builders N&W caboose, which I am on right now.

On top of that, I was slowed down some due to medical reasons that I'd rather not go into on-line, except to say I have a recurring cancer that won't give up. But I have it under control, so far, and things are going well.

Now I have recently found out that I have another challenge to do; a one square footer for our club, due in November. Oh, whoa is me, so many challenges. So much fun. So little time.

I will be coming back to this, I promise, as I know so many are watching, and I AM itching to get going on it again. But, in either case, I am still having fun, and still staying healthy.

At least I have been having my blood pressure checked a lot these last few months, even bought a small machine of my own to check at various times. For a 62 year old, my BP has been anywhere from 119/69 (today at the Dr.'s office) to 124/77. Even right after a workout last month, I checked it to be 117/64. I have to believe it's all due to diet and exercise, something I try to keep up now-a-days, and staying vigilant, as in the past, I was always told it was too high.

And Rich, I wish I could be there and help out, sounds like fun.

Thank you all for following along, and I hope you can forgive me for not staying with this on a constant basis.

Tony Burgess

on30vince
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  10:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
outstanding modeling.

Vince

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  5:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your forgiven! We can wait a little bit until you have time to get back to this one!!

Jerry

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2018 :  2:51:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, I'm back

And it's tutorial time...get your pencils out, your about to learn something, one hopes

As many might know, I love Vallejo acrylic paints. They have never failed me for painting on styrene, but the brass hinges did pose a problem, so I resorted to an enamel, Tester's flat grey.

So, let me back up a bit. I had recently bought and have used several time, a set by Vallejo called "Rust and Steel weathering set" off Amazon. always on the lookout for new weathering techniques, I think I stumbled on the ultimate, but not only, weathering for rust. The set has 7 Model Colors, 1 Pigment, 1 Wash and 2 Toray brushes. The pigment is a dry powder the color of rust.

The process goes rather quickly, and you don't need to stop for any length of time, nor wash brushes between applications. Just do one color, the grey (they include 2 greys, [gun metal and basalt grey] but since it wasn't going on the brass, I used an equivalent enamel, as I stated, but baring that step, it still works, I just let the enamel dry first).

So, paint on the first color, dark or light grey, then from here on out you need to use the "Dry-Brush" method, very little paint.
Here is the first color on the hinges after it dried:

The second color is added (dry brush only)
; burnt umber:

Then the saddle brown:

red leather:

orange brown:

and then clear orange:

This is all you really need to do if you want to convey a light rust appearance, but to give a 3 dimensional, then there is one more step. It involves adding a wash and before it dries, add some pigment on top (I dip a brush into the dry pigment and dab it on):

Here are the hinges without all the dust around them. I'll let you be the judge, but I think this stuff is fantastic.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2018 :  3:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a picture of the boxed set.

Tony Burgess

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: banta modelworks hillside water tower kitbash Topic Next Topic: Tellynott corner module  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000