Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry
Page: of 33

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  6:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found out after two mishaps, the ACC for the joint is not as good as I would have liked. Too much stress on the joint. So I got out my soldering iron and some .015" diameter rosin core solder I bought from China via eBay. My first attempt ended up with the solder leaking just enough around the tube to solder it to the brass 'rod'. The problem was the solder was too thick, so that's when I went to the .015" solder.

I always find that taping down the small pieces I need to solder works great, as things would move too much otherwise. I put a .012" rod in the tube while I soldered to both hold the tube square on the brass strip, and to stop it from wondering around.

After the joints rested a bit, I used a oval file to clean up the solder, and a fine tapered flat to clean up the back side of the tube.

After soldering all the joints, I used one to cut the others to length, just slipping one on a tube with the 'master' then just cut to length.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  12:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have made some working, yes, working latches for the doors to stay open. The main material is .010 x .060" styrene for the backing and spacing, and 1/16" styrene angle. The angle pieces I drilled holes in one side about .02" diameter, enough clearance for some .015" blackened brass wire to pass through with ease. There are 3 pieces of 1/16" angle per latch, the upper one has the hole opened up to the front to allow the brass wire to fall through and drop down into a hole in the ground to hold the door open.

The bottom 1/16" after all is dried, is cut off. I only did this so I could add a styrene strip across the bottom of the 4 latches so I could 'butt-up' the first angle to it, rather than try to keep it square on the bottom edge.

When the first angle was in, I added another 1/16" strip along the top edge of them as a spacer, as I wanted them to be 3/16" apart, then I added the second from the bottom angle. I had added a strip of wood to the top section to add the top angle of the latch, as well as a stop to keep everything still. That very top section was later clipped off a little to reduce the bulk.

I painted the latches using Vallejo Rust and Steel Effects Weathering Set. It looks a little shiny in the pictures, I think that is just the lighting. I added some bracing to the rear of 2 doors, and ACC'd the latches in. They do operate, and I think they add a nice detail. I will also add some handles on at least one door on the inside. The hinges are done, but not applied yet, I was wanting to do the latches first.

Tony Burgess

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  4:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like the door stops. Great job Tony.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  5:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

I really like the door stops. Great job Tony.

Thank you Jerry.
I have finished ONE door, with operating hinges. So cool, I had to video it. Here is the link:

https://youtu.be/rXXg-Ru-FlQ

Here are stop shots:

"Instead of waiting for perfection, run with what you do, and fix it along the way." ~ Paul Arden

Tony Burgess

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  6:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony I guess the guy with the tweezers will have a full time job!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  7:00:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Totally impressed Tony!

Philip

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  7:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony

Great details in conception and follow-through.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  8:01:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Tony I guess the guy with the tweezers will have a full time job!!

Now I think of it, yes, I believe so

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  8:04:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phillip and Mike, thank you.

Just thought while I was looking at the pictures, the door is also removable. just lift it up about 3/32", and it's off, but not so easy to put back on, but I did it. Once!

Tony Burgess

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  06:22:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those door stops are fantastic.

Bryan

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  4:52:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brownbr

Those door stops are fantastic.

Thanks Bryan,
and only 3 more sets to make

Tony Burgess

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  5:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, that sure is some exceptional craftsmanship'..Simply, OUTSTANDING'..

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  5:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Tony, that sure is some exceptional craftsmanship'..Simply, OUTSTANDING'..

Thank you Ted. Hope to get some free time this weekend and X-mass to try and finish it up.

Tony Burgess

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  9:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice !!

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  11:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dang Tony,
That set of doors is PERFECTION!!
Wow,
Dave

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000