Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 53 ]  [ Total: 58 ]  [ Newest Member: Poul Low Moller ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Campbell Scales Gran Mas House, aka, Grandmas Topic Next Topic: The E.L.&.P. Meat Corp.: An Update
Page: of 4

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  3:01:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have only recently, after some 5 or 6 years, started building a small layout. Although I am not much into operations, I do enjoy a little switching, and have found Peco insulfrog turnouts just the ticket for me, easy to throw the points, very little wiring. In fact, I might have gotten a little carried away with their turnouts . My 5' by 10' layout, is more destined to be a large diorama than an operating layout. And that was my intention.

Soooo, that being said, I have always wanted a small facility for the engines, nothing big, an engine shed (rather than a roundhouse) and machine shop, coaling station and a source of water. Ever since I built Sierra West's engine house, I thought that might be just the thing for this layout. Since that shed is HOn3, it won't do well here, besides, I have plans for that later.

So I set about planning the actual size of the shed. I already knew from the beginning what I wanted, and where, I just hadn't gotten the track set up and everything 'sized' so it would fit. It will be about 13.5" deep, contain 3 tracks, and one off to the side. I'm building it on 3/16" ply, it is pretty flat now, but after I glue stuff down that might change, so I am going to re-enforce the bottom with some sturdy hardwood. The layout sits on 2" foam, so I would need to cut into that for the added strips underneath.

The engine shed will be built very similarly to the Sierra West model, board by board on a framework of 6x6 stripwood. Or maybe 4x6. The roof will be peaked in the center, and the right hand stall will be set back 4.5" which will be used for small engines.

So far, I made a simple cardboard moch-up to see how it fits. I am glad I did, as the two r/h tracks didn't line up like I wanted. I had a short l/h turnout leading into those stalls and open area, and replaced it with a medium length 'Y' turnout. That proved to be much better. Sometimes a simple change is all that is needed.

So here are a couple of pictures, a birds-eye view and a sketch of the front of the shed. I hope to start on the project soon, but with an upcoming trip to Colorado for the show, not sure how far I will get before the next weekend.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  3:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to your progress Tony!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

tct855
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  3:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nelson458,

Well I must say we have at least 3 things in common right off the bat.

1) We both like model railroading with peco.
2) We both like switching dioramas.
3) We both like following Brian Greene.

I'm willing to bet we have even more in common on this 3rd celestial rock riding along a sea of dark matter in a uni/multi verse?

Can't wait to see more! Thanx Thom...

Edited by - tct855 on 08/20/2017 3:39:20 PM

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  3:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tct855

Nelson458,

Well I must say we have at least 3 things in common right off the bat.

1) We both like model railroading with peco.
2) We both like switching dioramas.
3) We both like following Brian Greene.

I'm willing to bet we have even more in common on this 3rd celestial rock riding along a sea of dark matter in a uni/multi verse?

Can't wait to see more! Thanx Thom...

Thanks Thom, you nailed it, now I know that I have an 'operating diorama' (a small twist of names), not a small layout. It even makes more sense.

How can a speck of a universe be physically identical to the great expanse we view in the heavens above?

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  3:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Looking forward to your progress Tony!

Thanks Louis, hope I don't disappoint.

“…The wonders of life and the universe are mere reflections of microscopic particles engaged in a pointless dance fully choreographed by the laws of physics.”
¯ Brian Greene,

Tony Burgess

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  4:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be following your progress, Tony.

George

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  4:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys, I think this is getting a bit too heavy for me, but I do look forward to following along.
With respect.
ed

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  4:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks George, glad your in for the ride..

Ed, this is something that if done logically, as I hope to show, will be easier than you might think. I hope you get something from it either way.

Tony Burgess

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  5:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting project Tony....your picture is a nice teaser...any chance we can see the whole thing to get some perspective?

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  8:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Interesting project Tony....your picture is a nice teaser...any chance we can see the whole thing to get some perspective?

Sure, how about a uTube video to start?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5fdN8OxiFQ

The tunnel portals are at the moment represented by one portal on it's own and other monoliths standing as representations of where the others will be, was trying to get an idea of how far from the tracks they needed to be. In that particular corner, I am going to add a hill with a South River Modelworks mill, (Wrisley Papers) on top, where the water coming off the top will power the mill and run down, around and into the basin under the two bridges. On the opposite corner will be a wharf scene. I already have a space for my Bluefin Cannery, I took it out temporarily to add the remaining rail on that end.

Tony Burgess

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  8:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
Being the expert modeler that you are, I will surely be following along with your progress on this as a similar operating diorama may be just my ticket. I don't have a layout started yet and I want something that won't take up a lot of space.
Rich

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  9:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Tony,
Being the expert modeler that you are, I will surely be following along with your progress on this as a similar operating diorama may be just my ticket. I don't have a layout started yet and I want something that won't take up a lot of space.
Rich

Oh, the pressure, the pressure! What have I started? , OK, I'll do my best

Tony Burgess

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  10:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, You can do it. What's the old saying, something about heat and kitchen!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  11:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Looks like you're starting out on an interesting structure.

I know you do not need advice. Nevertheless, I would be inclined to use 6 by 6 for the corners, sills, beams at top of walls, and main vertical beams under the roof trusses every 10 to 15', and 4 by 6 for the intermediate verticals.

I think the Sierra RR machine shop has even heavier framing in places.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  07:20:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the video tour Tony. Good luck with your new venture!

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  07:50:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,

I see layout expansion in your future...

Jim

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Campbell Scales Gran Mas House, aka, Grandmas Topic Next Topic: The E.L.&.P. Meat Corp.: An Update  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000