Railroad Line Forums - Playing with Photshop
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: PMStrains ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Playing with Photshop
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: TrainClowns Tip Of The Day, Custom Made Windows Topic Next Topic: Dirty Stuff  

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/26/2017 :  08:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2017 :  1:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice picture, but what is the task you are accomplishing with your Photoshop?

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/26/2017 :  4:39:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not much, actually....

I cropped in that corner of sky, Louis, and added contrast and sharpness.

Here is the unedited photo

Some may say the raw photo looks better.

Kyle

Edited by - engineerkyle on 07/26/2017 5:18:32 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2017 :  7:18:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Kyle, I hope you don't mind me giving a go at your photo with my limited knowledge of using Photoshop.
I tried to tone down the bright white areas on the roof and the top of the engine.
And mute the overall colours in the entire photo.
Those bright white areas were the only thing that didn't look right to my eyes in your first photo.
You can make out the roof detail a little better in my version of your photo.

Greg Shinnie

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2017 :  9:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kyle,

Here's my shot at it.

I toned down that bright light on the upper left. I removed the blurry distracting guy in the foreground with the 'clone stamp'. Also removed some of the out of focus bushes in the foreground. Then I sharpened the image.

Try shooting with your focus point a little closer to you. If your camera has manual capabilities, slow down the shutter, and stop down the aperture as much as you can.

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  08:30:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well gents,

I didn't expect this thread to be so much fun. Interesting how it comes down to taste. Also interesting that several of us are so adept at editing photos. By the way, If you don't have Photoshop and would like to try it, may I recommend PhotoFiltre. That is what I actually use. It is a free download and works just like Photoshop.

To the Mods, how about a contest thread where somebody posts a photo and others take turns editing it?

ek

PS Burly Jim, I shot the original image on a tripod at f2.8 at 1/4 second shutter speed, ASA 200.

The shot below is the same, but 1/15 second and hand held.

Sharpness and contrast added with PhotoFiltre...

Edited by - engineerkyle on 07/27/2017 08:34:26 AM

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  11:54:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Despite my trepidation I'm going to step in here.

Ninety-nine percent of folks taking pictures today don't need Photoshop. Mostly they need to learn how to expose correctly I mostly use Lightroom with occasional visits to Photoshop.

Both photos have poor exposure, and the depth of field could be better. Here's my adjusted versions...

FYI the haze in the upper left corner is not in the room - it's happening inside the lens. The over exposed roof is flaring.

To get better exposures in this space you really need some lighting. And you don't need expensive stuff. Just look at what Bob Boudreau (railphotog) does with desk lamps.

--Rich

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2017 :  4:50:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kYLE, keep practicing'...Try shooting on Manual'
Close down the lens, F-16, F-22, 1/25th of a second..Experiment, and have fun'... Rule of thumb, the less ambient light you have the longer the exposure'....

Ted

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2017 :  9:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

PS Burly Jim, I shot the original image on a tripod at f2.8 at 1/4 second shutter speed, ASA 200.

Try that exact shot at f16 and shutter of 16 seconds. Try to keep the focus point where it was on your original, then try it again, and put a target just behind the guy in the foreground and focus on that point. You may have to adjust that shutter speed up or down a little. If you have a 'B'ulb setting, time it on a stop watch. You'll find that 'sweet spot'. Rich's point of the reflection is right on. To correct it, just add a 'GOBO' ( something to block the light source from hitting your lens ). Let's see some results! Practice, practice, practice!

Jim

Previous Topic: TrainClowns Tip Of The Day, Custom Made Windows Topic Next Topic: Dirty Stuff  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000