Railroad Line Forums - "Original" Kittom Lumber Company. Volume II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 130 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: Ben de Vink ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 "Original" Kittom Lumber Company. Volume II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960 Topic Next Topic: The Depot (at Carendt)
Page: of 14

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  4:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Hebert

Tom,

Very nice indeed. I see some of your techniques that I could use on my layout structures...even in N-scale. Looking forward to seeing more on the finished roof details.

Thanks Tim. Just ordered some old fashioned typewriter paper to make the tar paper strips that will cover the roof. I think tar paper rolls are about 3 feet wide which is pretty easy to cut in O'scale.......might lead to eye strain in N scale . Tom

Tim Hebert
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  12:48:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
N-scale eye strain? That's what a black Sharpie is used for regarding "intricate" detailing!

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  06:51:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Hebert

N-scale eye strain? That's what a black Sharpie is used for regarding "intricate" detailing!

That is a neat solution to detailing. My dad was in to "N" scale well in to his seventies. Don't know how he did it and avoided

Eye Strain. He was pretty tough though.....from the WWII generation.

Tom

Edited by - Grabnet on 11/20/2017 06:53:03 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  07:43:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm seventy and have no problem with seeing N scale. The average age of my operating crew is about 74 with two members at 80 and 81 and they claim they have no problems either. If someone is having problems they need to have their eyes checked. In my case I had cataracts which surgery corrected. Might also need to update the prescription on their eye glasses/contact lenses.

Mike

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  10:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

I'm seventy and have no problem with seeing N scale. The average age of my operating crew is about 74 with two members at 80 and 81 and they claim they have no problems either. If someone is having problems they need to have their eyes checked. In my case I had cataracts which surgery corrected. Might also need to update the prescription on their eye glasses/contact lenses.

Yep, eyecare is pretty darn good now. My wife just had multifocal lens replacements for her cataracts. Has sight like an eagle. Glad you guys are still enjoying trains......gives me hope @ age 65.

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  7:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 and a half months later the backwoods engine house is finished.

The tar paper roof will keep snow off the locomotives and the hostlers.

The build of this structure has taken so long that some more Winter trees have sprouted up around the EH.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

Edited by - Grabnet on 12/31/2017 6:36:12 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  08:33:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Tom!

Mike

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/31/2017 :  6:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always enjoyed the early steam logging equipment. The primitive prototypes of things to come in moving the logs. Since my layout is set in 1910 I thought I could bring to life one of these beasts:

The early Class A Climax with a vertical boiler.

Railway Recollections makes this nifty urethane kit.

So I got the kit and the "donor mechanism" from this Proto 2000 switcher.

So for the last several weeks in between Holiday Hoop De Doo I have been slowly building the beast.

The thing is big and hence I am going to name it "Bull O' the Woods." I had to widen the clearances along the right of way to get the thing to fit on the tracks. Fortunately it fits snuggly in the new Engine House.

Christmas Gift this year is a Tsunami 2 sound decoder loaded with geared locomotive sounds and over the next few weeks I will be installing this in the locomotive.

Thanks for following along. Doc Tom

Edited by - Grabnet on 12/31/2017 6:36:58 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2018 :  07:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That will be a fine looking critter Tom!

Mike

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/01/2018 :  08:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

That will be a fine looking critter Tom!

Thanks Mike. Next few weeks will be fiddling with soldering all those little wires to the decoder. i did find a small speaker that fits snuggly in the round water tank at the front of the locomotive.......a nice break.

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  5:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I managed to complete the vertical boiler class A Climax. I researched the likely color of this locomotive in 1910. From what I could read it was primarily painted black.

I elected to paint mine as a flat black beast.

The Tsunami 2 steam decoder I got for Christmas worked after all that infinitesimal wiring soldering and insulating!!.

So, to celebrate and since it was a Christmas gift, who better to christen the "Bull of the Woods" than Santee Claus hisself?

The man in red was really moved by the deep gorge at the Kit Creek watershed.

He was glad to get back to the relative safety of rail camp and was looking for his reindeer and sleigh to get him gone.

Next to come are windows for the cab, a decal for "Bull O' Woods" and light weathering.

Looking forward to choosing one of the 60 whistles and all the other electronic goodies that come with a Tsunami 2 decoder.

Thanks for looking.Doc Tom

Edited by - Grabnet on 01/13/2018 5:07:24 PM

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/16/2018 :  3:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grabnet

It is cold and snowy outside. A great time to get in the engine house, fire up the stove and light the kerosene lamps and warm up. Time to shoot the bull and plan for a little work when a thaw sets in.

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  7:19:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bull O'Woods, the vertical boiler Class A Climax, is completed and awaiting decals and weathering. So it was back to making winter trees.

Years go I had read about making trees by securing the branch structures to the armatures using ACC glue and spraying on an "accelerator" which instantly sets the glue.I tried this technique and it worked pretty good. I used armatures and branch foliage from Super Trees. Spray paints ere used to color the branches and the trees then planted.

Small left over bits were added as low lying bushes devoid of leaves as the scene is wintertime.

Thanks for looking and following along.

Doc Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  08:59:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmmmmmm, that place looks a lot like my back yard.

Mike

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  10:42:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some very nice modeling being done here.
Thanks for all the pictures.

As you think, so will you be.

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960 Topic Next Topic: The Depot (at Carendt)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000