Railroad Line Forums - "Original" Kittom Lumber Company. Volume II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 162 ]  [ Total: 164 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 "Original" Kittom Lumber Company. Volume II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Troy Tuit Works Topic Next Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout
Page: of 15

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/28/2017 :  7:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing I love about primitive logging railroads in the early 1900's was the absolute mess they functioned in.

Dead fall and slash was everywhere and had to be a real hazard to the early loggers and their little steam trains. So as I advance the scenery on the mini layout I have been trying to recreate "the mess."Cut up twigs and white glue were used to create the first layer of slash.

Meanwhile Jethro and Bubba are still trying to figure out how to unload a log car by hand.

They may be at it a while.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/29/2017 :  08:18:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/30/2017 :  11:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Tom. Just read about the Photo Bucket issue. That's a really crappy situation to be in. I hope you were able to save some of the older pictures.

The layout looks great so far. Is it finished? If so then you've put my efforts to shame. I'm still track-laying after 6 months! Gonna have to step things up a little.

I'm off back to Susanville CA in a few weeks to cycle along an old logging railroad roadbed. Won't be quite the same as having a real railroad to go and see but thankfully I have your pics above to turn to for inspiration.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  07:39:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kumard

Hey Tom. Just read about the Photo Bucket issue. That's a really crappy situation to be in. I hope you were able to save some of the older pictures.

The layout looks great so far. Is it finished? If so then you've put my efforts to shame. I'm still track-laying after 6 months! Gonna have to step things up a little.

I'm off back to Susanville CA in a few weeks to cycle along an old logging railroad roadbed. Won't be quite the same as having a real railroad to go and see but thankfully I have your pics above to turn to for inspiration.

Thank you. No this mini is far from being finished. The cycling adventure sounds like fun.

I hope it provides you some good ideas.

Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  07:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a grab shot....lets call it "Kentucky Day Dreaming."

I have been adding in winter bushes with painted lichen. I am going to have to get those loggers in to some winter clothing soon.

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/05/2017 :  9:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The boys will soon have some help movin'them toothpicks with a contraption from up Philadelphia way.

Going to give all them backs a break tossing sticks down the roll way.

Thanks for checking in. Doc Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  08:39:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  10:24:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom, your scene is a real mess! All those sticks and branches lying around.

Your "Kentucky day dreamer" looks like Jimmy Dean about to break out a into song.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  12:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably just ate some sausage's.
ed

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  3:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tom, your scene is a real mess! All those sticks and branches lying around.

Your "Kentucky day dreamer" looks like Jimmy Dean about to break out a into song.

Mike

Thanks for the "mess kudos"Mike. All the prototype pictures I find from turn of the century (20th)backwoods loggers look like this.So noting the mess is a type of compliment and a badge of honor.

I would break my neck just walking 20 feet from the locomotive and trip over some slash or roots or whatever. Amazing agility those early loggers had!!

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  3:51:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed k

Probably just ate some sausage's.
ed

Hmmmmm. The gastrocolic reflex could be kicking in after the sausage and he is wondering where the nearest site of relief is in these deep dark woods. Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  8:19:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Planting more winter bushes before bringing in leaf cover and more bare trees. I decided to soften the edge between the forest floor and the limestone cliffs heading in to the Red River.

I have been using some roots from garden plants that died off this summer to make vines and roots heading down to the water to get a drink

Here is a shot from a canoe in the Red River looking up at the log dump. Some of the mischievous kids like to be on the river on hot days to get a big splash from the cascading logs. They do not tell their parents.

I like the colors of winter/late fall set against the grays of the limestone.

Thank you for following along.

Doc Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2017 :  07:12:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Tom!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2017 :  08:35:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice use of the garden plants, Tom. Looks good.

George

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  9:16:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike and George. Roots from the garden do make some interesting Flora in On30. Doc Tom

Page: of 15 Previous Topic: Troy Tuit Works Topic Next Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000