Railroad Line Forums - "Original" Kittom Lumber Company. Volume II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 "Original" Kittom Lumber Company. Volume II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout
Page: of 15

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/05/2019 :  4:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW! Well Tom, I thought I knew this Forum inside and out. This modeling of yours proves I wasn't aware of everything going on. Granted I don't visit Micro & Mini Layouts threads, but that's about to change from now on.
You go back as far as mid summer, and I'm just now checking on. At this point all I can say is Excellent, Great, Fantastic or any other words to express your modeling, you are in my favorite modeling era choice, and style. I'm jumping on board here for the long ride. Thanks for the progress you have shown!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/05/2019 :  7:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

WOW! Well Tom, I thought I knew this Forum inside and out. This modeling of yours proves I wasn't aware of everything going on. Granted I don't visit Micro & Mini Layouts threads, but that's about to change from now on.
You go back as far as mid summer, and I'm just now checking on. At this point all I can say is Excellent, Great, Fantastic or any other words to express your modeling, you are in my favorite modeling era choice, and style. I'm jumping on board here for the long ride. Thanks for the progress you have shown!

Thanks Louis. That is a ringing endorsement for this little layout.... I am really moved by your words.

The mini/micro layouts are a lot of fun as you can detail to the nth degree. There are several on this part of the forum that are highly detailed. Thanks for stopping by. Doc Tom

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2019 :  06:45:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks and sounds great.

Bryan

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/06/2019 :  11:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brownbr

Looks and sounds great.

Thankyou Bryan. More to come.

Edited by - Grabnet on 01/06/2019 11:02:26 AM

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  3:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to show you some more of the work on animating the steam donkeys. The first one I worked on is the donkey engine at the log dump.

Rather than powering the winches electrically I chose to use a manual Cable to lift the logs or lift the unloading mechanism at the log dump.

Here you can see the shrink tubing I used to conduct a fine wire cable from the first spool of the loader back to a hole extending up into the water tank of the loader.

The Cable is threaded up through the water tank and out the water fill spout. It's end is affixed to the water tank hatch (cap) which can be pulled to move the cable.

The cable goes from the first spool of the loader to the pulley in the block on the gin pole.

It is connected with a hook and swivel to the piece of railroad steel (lifting bar) that will be attached to chains (awaiting some parts before they are attached) that will nudge the logs off the log cars and on to the dump.

When the bar and the chains are on the ground the cable pulls the water hatch (cap) closed on the tank.

When the bar and chains are hoisted up the cap and wire cable are pulled through the tank like this.

Hope this makes some sense and the pictures helped. I hope to make some pictures and maybe a video showing how the logs are unloaded using this mechanism in the future.

As always, thanks for looking.

Doc Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  09:27:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  09:40:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As usual, very fine modeling.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  3:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom that is some good information, I'm trying to get some animation like that for my logging scenes as well. Thanks for your ideas and pictures. Video would be nice, but I can visualize what you have going on there.
If interested, there is a book by Model Railroader called "Realistic Animation, Lighting & Sound" 21 projects for your model railroad. ISBN 0-89024-338-7 found here; https://www.pmrr.org/Library/Books/BooksRealistic_Animation,_Lighting___Sound.htm
Example ideas in picture below.

Louis

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  9:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Tom that is some good information, I'm trying to get some animation like that for my logging scenes as well. Thanks for your ideas and pictures. Video would be nice, but I can visualize what you have going on there.
If interested, there is a book by Model Railroader called "Realistic Animation, Lighting & Sound" 21 projects for your model railroad. ISBN 0-89024-338-7 found here; https://www.pmrr.org/Library/Books/BooksRealistic_Animation,_Lighting___Sound.htm
Example ideas in picture below.

Those are pretty ingenious ideas. I am doing something similar to the "choke cable" presentation. Although in mine the cable is contained in the donkey and threaded out the water tank instead of the fascia.

Believe it or not I am waiting on small O rings to affix the chains to the lifting bar to nudge the logs off the cars and on to the dump. When those little parts arrive I will complete this project and put together a video.

Thanks for the interest and your neat information.

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  4:14:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have completed a little more of the mechanism at the log dump on the mini layout. Using tiny products: "O scale blackened chain" from eBay,3d printed hooks from shapeways,and miniature jewelry rings from Hobby Lobby, the lifting chains are attached to the lifting bar.

The Little People workmen attach the hooks to the rings at the brow of the log dump.

As the chains and lifting bar are hoisted skyward by the steam donkey they push the logs off the log car and on to the log dump.

After dumping the logs the bar and chains are lowered. The LPW can now unhook the chains.

The car is moved and the next loaded one moved in to place and the process repeated.

The logs slide down the dump and splash in to the Red River to continue their journey to the sawmill down stream.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

Edited by - Grabnet on 01/26/2019 4:16:09 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  4:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice. I like it! Those are some fine looking hooks as well.

Louis

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  6:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting and well done animation, Tom.

George

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  9:24:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks George and Louis. More to come on the other side of the layout.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  9:42:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has been a most productive weekend where everything seems to be coming together.

I finished weathering the chains and lift mechanism at the log dump.

So it was time to go to the other side of the mini layout and get the log loader working at the log landing.

To lift logs I had to make this device.

I'm not sure what is called...."hooks" or "tongs" or something else. Some of you guys with more knowledge may have the correct logging term.

I made it from a "circlip" from Lowes (pictured at the right), short lengths of chain and jewelry rings from Hobby Lobby.

I attached it to the steam donkey's cable and it could now pull up a log from the landing......

.....and put it on a log car.

The trick to making the cable to move was to thread it in heat shrink tubing and lead it out the back of the loader where it could be pulled or slacked to allow the log to lift or fall under control.

So, in a little bit when I can master some eye hand coordination I will make some vids of loading and unloading logs with the ITT sound modules putting out the sounds of a genuine steam donkey.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

JGDURAND
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  04:36:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

If you can dream it,you can make it

Page: of 15 Topic Next Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000