Railroad Line Forums - Das Boot, a 1/35 scale WWII U-Boat diorama
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 Das Boot, a 1/35 scale WWII U-Boat diorama
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Aero Bermuda, by WIllys
Page: of 19

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2017 :  11:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

I talked with Frank and Dave Revelia at the National Train Show in Orlando...so I know he's around.

Patience Jerry....

So he has you fooled to Carl!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

smason2
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  9:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great, Frank.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  10:41:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry, no I haven't, Pauline and I took a 10 day vacation to TN/GA. I've been doing some 1:1 stuff around the house, there was the NMRA convention, and I hope to get back to it this week.

Thanks Bob.

See there Jerry, Carl saw me live and in person.

Make it so Ensign. Oops wrong series.

Bill don't prod him along, it'll get worse.

Jerry, you again unlax my friend.

Thanks SMason. Is this Scotty Mason?

OK, here's the hull with Tim and Tony. The hull appears to have excellent surface detail but the fiberglass construction leaves a lot to be desired. It's not constructed with the same care as the boats you see blasting around on the weekends.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 08/13/2017 10:47:33 AM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  09:18:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems big for the tug boat you were working on!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  10:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry, well let's see. The 6' long U-Boat is 1:32 scale and the 1 foot long tug boat is 1:35 scale. In tug boat years it's close.

I just can't seem to get back to my work bench. My wife is on a kick to remodel her craft room and that called for several trips to Tampa and the IKEA store. Uck I hate that place, you walk for a half-mile before you get to the stuff you're looking for. Then it's down stairs and another half-mile walk to get to the dreaded "bins". Then you load the SUV with those 50 lb. "flat boxes" and home to begin "assembly". Oh yeah, don't forget the trips to Lowes for more stuff. Make sure you bring that "My Lowes" card, with my prior military I get 10% off everything everyday.

Maybe next week I'll get back to modeling.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 08/20/2017 6:49:22 PM

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  12:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ikea, presents a love hate response for a lot of people.
It and Trader Joes were the two most requested stores when we moved here 12+ years ago.
What might be your opinion of Wawa's?
When I lived in Pa., I served all the Delaware and many Pa. stores with Martin's Potato Rolls and Pepperidge Farms products.
ed

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  12:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ikea, presents a love hate response for a lot of people.
It and Trader Joes were the two most requested stores when we moved here 12+ years ago.
What might be your opinion of Wawa's?
When I lived in Pa., I served all the Delaware and many Pa. stores with Martin's Potato Rolls and Pepperidge Farms products.
ed

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  1:04:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear you Frank! I thought when I retired a few months ago...time to model would be plentiful!

Not!!! 1:1 projects have been reborn, along with new ones..Sheesh.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  6:55:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ed, you are well within that IKEA zone of influence. Wawaís are over rated, gas isnít that cheap and if I want to eat out Iíll go to a restaurant.

Carl, I donít understand how I could get so much done in a week when I was working. Oh yeah, silly me I forgot about getting up at 8 oíclock and those afternoon naps. Well time sure flies when youíre retired.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 08/20/2017 6:56:08 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  10:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank God we both like the beach. But I know she is thinking of things to do in the Fall & Winter.

Jerry

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2017 :  2:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well it certainly has been a while. Prepping for Irma and then dis-prepping form Irma. The latter was far more laborious than getting ready. I just got the house and garage back to normal. Including getting the tree off the roof, just minor damage thankfully.

Last Wednesday we glued and clamped the 2 halves of the hull together with 5-minute epoxy and 3M-5200. Dave soldered the 8 or 9 pieces of etched brass decking together. Itís like a 6í brass snake skin.

Just a shot of my chainsaw work on the neighbor's tree.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 09/23/2017 3:00:44 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/23/2017 :  3:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,

Das Boot looks good, the tree would look better off the house, and all of us will rest easier when things are back to "normal."

Thanks for the images!

Pete
in Michigan

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/23/2017 :  3:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somehow I seem to have missed this thread. I just got caught up. This is great. Glad to hear you make it through Irma.

Jeff

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/23/2017 :  4:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks cool Frank!
Is the brass etch glued to the top of the hull with those adhesives too?

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2017 :  4:46:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, I don't think U boats were camouflaged with trees and leaves even if they were "green water sailors", but otherwise you're all doing a hull of a job so far.

Page: of 19 Topic Next Topic: Aero Bermuda, by WIllys  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000