Railroad Line Forums - Das Boot, a 1/35 scale WWII U-Boat diorama
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 Das Boot, a 1/35 scale WWII U-Boat diorama
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Aero Bermuda, by WIllys
Page: of 19

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/28/2017 :  11:21:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Thanks Chester.

Southpier, I donít know how much it will increase in price, I donít think itís not one of those sought after pieces.

Jerry, you back from the beach? Dave is struggling with remembering how to post pictures, lossapictaphobia I think itís called.

Frank you can teach an old new tricks. Or you could do them until he catches on!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  11:31:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will be fun to follow.

Mark

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  3:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well Mark it's a deviation from trains for a while.

I decided the windows werenít right. I had them mounting on either the inside or the outside. This looked too thick so I redesigned them to fit within the window opening. I also made door frames and jams.

I wanted to be able to see into the hatch going below deck. Tim took the hull home and used his mill to remove the cast on closed hatch covers and open up the hatch. But the bit kept melting the resign and became a real bother to keep removing molten resign from the bit.

I used my 1/4" Forstner bit to finish drilling through the hull. These bits had no problem cutting through the resin.

I then flipped the hull over and relieved more of the underside with a 3/4" Frostner bit. This way it appears to be open below deck. I designed a new hatch with hatch covers which Iíll be cutting on Saturday.

Iím off into another direction as Iím also working on the Steam Crane for the display. Except Iím not buying into the ďsteamĒ theory. As you can see thereís a muffler and tail pipe sticking out of the roof. It's probably going to need some windows too. Kinda dark in there and how does the operator see what he's doing?

The boom is being remodeled also. The kit came with a boxed boom and jib. We all thought there should be a latticed boom and jib. Who would want that much weight in the boom and jib?

I designed one and we cut it out on Wednesday. As soon as I cut it and placed the sides next to the top and bottom I noticed an error. I designed the lattice work top and bottom based on the kits cross beams. They donít line up with the side sections at all. Back to the drawing board for a redo. Iíll cut a new top and bottom with the cross bracing lining up with the sides. Oh well itís only time and a little wood involved.

Thatís all till Saturday.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 06/29/2017 3:19:35 PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  5:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, I've been craning my neck to peek below deck on the tug. It's all looking good as you improve the basic models.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 06/29/2017 5:43:51 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  7:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tug looks 100% better already.

Does the new crane boom fit into the slot already provided, or does that need a bit of work?

southpier
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  8:27:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this has so much attitude!

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/frank%20palmer/201762915830_112.jpg

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/30/2017 :  12:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill, donít cran your neck too much thereís nothing below.

Carl, itís the same overall dimensions so it better fit, or Iíll modify it.

Southpier, Iím looking for some swagger too.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2017 :  5:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a fantastic project, Frank. I'm looking forward to see how everything comes to life.
And you're too modest, I'm sure you could do the whole dio by yourself (with one hand, the other one driving the Lamborghini).

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/01/2017 :  1:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's too funny Frederic, me and my Lamborghini. Maybe I should come to La Rochelle and inspect the sub pens there.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 07/01/2017 1:51:26 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/01/2017 :  2:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I remember well, they shot some scenes of "Das Boot" here in La Rochelle.
About the Lamborghini, you might consider some homework to make it 'silent approach compatible', as in the 4:40 to 8:53 part of the video linked below (you don't have to put the steering wheel on the wrong side, though...).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1MDwVRgoQc

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/01/2017 :  2:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's some nice 'whittlin' there Frank.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/01/2017 :  2:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank,

I finally looked in and man, do I like what I see. You're off to a great start, putting a lot of thought into each step.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2017 :  11:58:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederic, I like the underwater part.

Thanks Jim.

Mike, thanks for taking the time to check it out. I donít know if itís time for thought or Iím putting off the inevitable.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2017 :  3:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Over the weekend I drew a deck pattern for the tug. After all my measurements and re-measurements I printed a paper one just to see if I was close. It was close enough to have a laser cut.

The first thing we cut today was a manila folder version for final tweaks. Dave made a couple of couple of line changes and then we went for the 1/32Ē plywood. It was pretty close and only required a little sanding and minute trimmings to get it to fit.

Iím liking it better than the resin deck already. The roof of the wheel house is covered with printable cloth painted tan.

After looking at the finished door being made of 1/16Ē plywood and overlaid with HO scale lumber it looks too thick. So Iím going to re-cut them in 1/32Ē plywood after Dave and then I come back from vacation.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 07/05/2017 3:36:31 PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2017 :  3:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, the tug is all decked out and almost ready to go, nice work! :)

Edited by - Bill Gill on 07/05/2017 3:49:30 PM

Page: of 19 Topic Next Topic: Aero Bermuda, by WIllys  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000