Railroad Line Forums - Caterpillar Railroad right-of-way cleaning flatcar
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Caterpillar Railroad right-of-way cleaning flatcar
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: You just lost everything, what scale do you start? Topic Next Topic: building permits  

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  4:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is by far, hands down, the ugliest model I have ever produced. It is even almost a shame to show to the public. I've had one in use for years, and asked by a friend to make one up for him. So here goes. It is ugly, yes! But also simple to make, great for getting the job at hand done, and easy to clean after use.
This Libman vent brush with Polymer fibers twisted on a steel wire rod 18" long x 1-1/4" wide will be the main working part for this cleaning tool flatcar, for removal of spider webs and critters living in our Railroad tunnels, across the track between trees, and trackside areas. No one said it had to be pretty, it just has to do a good job, and that it does.
I started with a Libman vent brush pictured below, and an old Tyco culvert pipe load flatcar. The first section of the brush was cut 11 long, then bent back at the middle section of its self with the ends turned in and wired together to form the base of the cleaning brush for the top of the flatcar. This oval section is now (from fibers to fibers) measuring 6-1/2 long x 2-1/2 wide. A Standards Gage for HO scale is 2-1/16 wide, and the brush is made 2-1/2 wide to give a good clean swipe through tunnels, and all spaces within the Standards Gage measurement.
After making second cut of the Libman brush at the handle, you are left with a 7 brush to be used for the top of the base to give the height needed on the cleaning flatcar. Both ends, 1 long of the brush are bent down to form a U shape, and give the height needed for the cleaning flatcar. The U shaped brush is set down in-between the base oval brush, and with thin floral wire, tied at both ends to the base. Then the flatcar is weighted down with weights to help hold down to the track, and the brush cleaner is wired to the flatcar. With the Standards Gage up against the flatcar you can see the brush just extends over the top, and the sides for a good cleaning sweep. This model still needs metal wheel sets and a set of Kadee couplers installed. Once it runs around your track with your maintenance locomotive pushing it along, the cleaning flatcar can be wiped clean or vacuumed. Then hidden from the public until the next cleaning run.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  7:15:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, looks like your really trying to brush us off with this one.
And I bet this neat little cleaning car really bristles while it works.
Great idea! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Greg Shinnie

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  8:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ugly it is, but functional. Thanks for the tip. Louis.

George

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  8:15:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Louis, although I really like the black/brown colors in the first shot....

Thanks for the tip. I feel a trip to the hardware store coming on....

Pete
in Michigan

k9wrangler
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  9:19:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you can get those Libman brushes at Menard's just an aisle over from their train stuff.

Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway
Sunfield Township Michigan

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  9:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hardware store is closer and I don't like what Menard's did with Louis' engine house....

Pete
in Michigan

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  09:15:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(Awkward pause.......)

Even though it's for just spider webs, would it make sense to add additional weight to the car?

And you've got to paint that thing like a real MOW car!

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  09:40:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Railrunner130

(Awkward pause.......)

Even though it's for just spider webs, would it make sense to add additional weight to the car?

And you've got to paint that thing like a real MOW car!

Some extra weight is needed indeed, my first car would lift off the track at some areas where the brush would hit an object or tunnel liner, and cause it to derail. Since the added weight, it stays on the track without ever lifting off.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  09:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

I think you can get those Libman brushes at Menard's just an aisle over from their train stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Hardware store is closer and I don't like what Menard's did with Louis' engine house....

Pete
in Michigan

Thanks Karl, I picked up on that statement right away. Even meant as a joke, as stupid looking as this item is, for as functional as it is, I won't put nothing past Menards.

Pete thanks for your thoughts and comment. Menard's is "Definitely Not" my kind of store.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  09:54:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg, you never let me down with your wit, you should work for Hallmark Greeting Cards making up sayings.

George, glad to pass this tip along. Even just for tunnel use, we all get that occasional locomotive coming out of a tunnel with webs on it over time.

Louis

k9wrangler
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  8:47:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My comment solely meant as a touch of irony, as I too don't care for their tactics.

Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway
Sunfield Township Michigan

kot2b
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/17/2017 :  2:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat Idea and so simple.
Dave

Previous Topic: You just lost everything, what scale do you start? Topic Next Topic: building permits  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000