Railroad Line Forums - Anyone worked with PTFE/Teflon blocks?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 72 ]  [ Total: 76 ]  [ Newest Member: LongHornCaddy2 ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Anyone worked with PTFE/Teflon blocks?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tuesday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Latest video - Update#11 Starting our river scene  

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  5:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to cut a piece of 1/2" thick PTFE into a strip (and then shape it into a wedge). Has anyone worked with this stuff? I'm presuming I can cut it with a table saw (either my 10" full-scale saw or my 4" modeler's saw). Do I need to run the saw at low speed like for styrene?

Thanks in advance!

dave
Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  5:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave wrote:
quote:
I need to cut a piece of 1/2" thick PTFE into a strip (and then shape it into a wedge). Has anyone worked with this stuff? I'm presuming I can cut it with a table saw (either my 10" full-scale saw or my 4" modeler's saw). Do I need to run the saw at low speed like for styrene?

Thanks in advance!

dave

Dave,

You shouldn't have any problem. I've got some of the black plastic and have cut it on my 10" table saw. It shouldn't melt. Might smell a little but not melt. Use an aggressive saw blade one used for ripping and not cross cutting.

Bernd

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  8:00:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bernd! No problem with stuff sticking to the saw blade? (Wouldn't want to ruin my good/expensive rip blade...)

dav

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  9:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let us know how it goes. I use a metal-cutting bandsaw blade (fine tooth) when working with thick acrylic and polycarbonate, but all I know about machining PTFE I've read in Home Shop Machinist.

NE Brownstone
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  08:00:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit NE Brownstone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ideally you'd want a zero rake blade for plastics, but regular carbide blade for wood will work fine. It won't burn if you don't put it in a bind or let the piece sit in the spinning blade. Now, if you turn it on a lathe, that's a different story. Stringy mess.

Which way is the wedge going in the piece? End to end like a pie piece, or thickness like a rib of a casting?

Edited by - NE Brownstone on 03/20/2017 08:02:29 AM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  08:09:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Thanks Bernd! No problem with stuff sticking to the saw blade? (Wouldn't want to ruin my good/expensive rip blade...)

dav

I've never had any problems with material sticking to the blade. I use a 24 tooth 10" crosscut blade.I believe the PTFE melts at a much higher temp then styrene. If my advice ruins your blade I'll buy you a new one.

Bernd

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  08:10:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a handy place to find.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/feed-speed-teflon-85099/

Jim

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  11:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a small bandsaw, but I'm not very good with it. Maybe that's the right tool to use, since if I mess it up, it won't be something I depend on :-)

Thanks to everyone for the help.

dave

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  3:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Make sure you have a solid fixture to hold the material. It can get a little squirrelly because of it's slickness, and then you have a problem. The bandsaw should work fine, as long as the material isn't jumping around. Good luck.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  09:57:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, that's a good idea. It would be easy to make a custom sled from some scrap wood.

dave

Previous Topic: Tuesday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Latest video - Update#11 Starting our river scene  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000