Railroad Line Forums - Plastic roof smoke vents?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: LongHornCaddy2 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Plastic roof smoke vents?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Foreground Building Flats Topic Next Topic: Received, a bunch of rolling stock  

JimF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/18/2017 :  09:46:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be building the Quality Craft Models Haydenton covered depot kit. I'm in the process of comparing the metal cast windows and doors with plastic from Grandt or Tichy.

I prefer to work with plastic, and think they will look better than the rather dated metal ones.

The roof vents (long, narrow, vented sides, peaked roof) are also metal.

Anyone know of a plastic replacements? My searching has drawn a blank, so far.

Thanks.

Jim F

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2017 :  10:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many hobby shops like this HobbyLinc website; http://www.hobbylinc.com/jl-roof-vent-stack-model-railroad-building-accessory-ho-scale-503 sell this set; Roof Vent & Stack -- Model Railroad Building Accessory -- HO Scale -- #503

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

JimF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/18/2017 :  10:45:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, thanks. I have found several versions of those type, from various makers.

This link it to B.T.S.'s 2 stall engine house kit page: http://www.master-creations.com/1445.htm

The ones I am looking for are similar, but smaller. Two separate ones, just one panel of louvers in length, each.

Jim F

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2017 :  2:03:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JimF

Louis, thanks. I have found several versions of those type, from various makers.

This link it to B.T.S.'s 2 stall engine house kit page: http://www.master-creations.com/1445.htm

The ones I am looking for are similar, but smaller. Two separate ones, just one panel of louvers in length, each.

Jim F

What I see you showing is called a clerestory-roof. Not a roof vent. You could always make them easy enough to any size

Louis

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2017 :  2:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bricks on those roof vents on the last photo are highly suspect. That's a lot of weight to put on the roof trusses! I've never seen roof vents done in brick (I've seen chimneys, of course, but the chimney runs all the way down to the foundation and supports its own weight.

Didn't Northeastern Scale -Models- sell a roof vent kit at one time? I know they had a cupola kit, that NE Scale -Lumber- may still sell. (Those names get confusing... NESM went out of business, and NESL took over some of their kits, if I remember right.)

I did a small louvered cupola for my little HOn30 engine house:

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 03/18/2017 2:08:14 PM

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2017 :  2:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim, here is a clerestory roof I did for my scratchbuilt model of Sewall's foundry.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47927&whichpage=31

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2017 :  3:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave if you think those names get confusing, here is even more confusion. These structure items are called dormers, clerestories, skylights, belvederes and cupolas. Dormers and clerestories have openings in a vertical plane, skylights have openings on a horizontal or tilted plane, belvederes and cupolas can have windows in both vertical and non-vertical planes. Just thought you'd like to know.

Louis

JimF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/18/2017 :  4:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, all.

I do have the metal ones in the kit, just as easy to use those as scratch build a pair. Just thought a plastic one would be a bit easier to build.

Jim F

Previous Topic: Foreground Building Flats Topic Next Topic: Received, a bunch of rolling stock  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.32 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000