Railroad Line Forums - Loksound question
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 DCC, Computers and Electronics for Model Railroads
 Loksound question
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A very simple signaling system Topic Next Topic: bachmann spectrum 44 ton switcher Cvs?  

markd
New Hire

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  3:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just installed a select micro v4. everything works but the loco stutters like the track is dirty. I cleaned rails and wheels, but still the same, however when I cancel the prime mover sound the loco purrs along at nice slow speeds. Am I crazy?
Mark Dewalt

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  7:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On many older layouts, and locomotives, the current pick up of locomotives is not very reliable with added sound. Therefore, power interruptions may cause a stop or jerky movement when the locomotive travels over turnouts at low speeds, or over the track at spots. This can be overcome with buffer capacitors (100 mF / 25V or higher show the desired results). If needed you may connect them to the LokPilot V4.0 or LokPilot micro V4.0. Also, Locomotives like Bachmann and Marklin have capacitors that need to be cut off the motor. When connecting DC and Coreless Motors, you may use all DC motors commonly used for model trains provided they do not exceed the current limit of the decoder.
Like I said before, in some cases with the 5-pole High Performance Drives like by Marklin, you may find three anti-interference capacitors. The two capacitors connected directly to the motor leads and the motor housing must be removed for proper performance.
I don't know what Locomotive you added the Loksound to, but if the Locomotive ran good before, than it is the added sound pulling away at the supplied power.
The two capacitors that need to be cut out are pictures below. There are two capacitors across the motor circuit that drastically affects the speed curve when using a Quiet Drive decoder. It causes speed problems. They must be removed from the circuit. Do this by simply cutting the capacitors out . The capacitor is typically yellow and has a marking of 105.
Does the Locomotive smooth out when more power is applied?

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

k9wrangler
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  10:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 8 or 9 Loksound equipped locomotives, all that I've installed aftermarket, and found out that with less than 100% perfectly clean track act the same as described. I added keep alive circuits to them and the difference is just amazing. I used TCS KA circuits, average $22 each. They are terrific and save your sanity by using them.

Previous Topic: A very simple signaling system Topic Next Topic: bachmann spectrum 44 ton switcher Cvs?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000