Railroad Line Forums - Where is everyone
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: John R ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Where is everyone
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Weathering question Topic Next Topic: Thursday
Page: of 2

ELK RIVER RR
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  08:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So it looks like everyone is outside moving snow so I'll put the coffee on and put the donuts on the counter. Not much snow so far in my area but the schools are closed anyway. I will be in the train room in a bit. So I guess I'll see you later be safe. Tom

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  09:14:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Tom and the 'snowmen'. Thanks for opening and the coffee and doughnuts. Only about 2" of the white stuff here yesterday and last night, but it was the black ice under it that raised havoc. I went to an op session last night, and it took me 2 hours to drive about 12 miles home. Only one stop light between there and here. I saw 5 vehicles in the ditch or overturned on the way home. At times 5 mph was 'too fast for conditions', glare ice!

I did have a good time at the op session. The guy is modeling the Great Northern Willmar Division and it was a lot of yard work getting between Minneapolis and Fargo. The op session the world's fastest NMRA meeting ever.

So I slept in this morning, the snow will melt before I need to go anywhere in the next day or two.

Back to the drawing board.

Have a Super day!

Jim

tloc
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  09:17:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Donuts, I love donuts, (no doctors around?) I'll have a donut. Thanks Tom.

The So. Wisconsin snow event yesterday made the landscape look clean and beautiful. Only 5 inches in our area but that's fine, stayed home yesterday and only heading to a movie this afternoon.

Yesterday's snow halted the wind event clean up from last week. In the 10 acres around the house we have maybe 300 trees of all sizes down and 2 of the 3 greenhouses damaged. We did take the ATV's around the property on Sunday and that really looks like where the main damage was done other than 2 of the horse barns and some fence line that were damaged. We were very lucky.

My wife is telling me the HD portion of her TV is gone, now what has Direct TV done? They have been terrible since AT & T purchased them.

Trainroom later as I am building roads, tearing them out and doing again.

Enjoy the day
TomO

k9wrangler
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  09:58:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sunny and cold this morning in snow covered Michigan. First snow in a couple of weeks and not a terrible lot, maybe 2 inches, just enough to cover the tips of the grass.

I'll have a donut and some juice or something this morning.

l probably will tinker on the layout later, but I'm sure the Doll has something planned. She ran off last week while the power was out and bought 2 truck loads of old stuff at an area thrift store and didn't have the truck with her, so.... Nice and cold and snowy, a great day to haul things.

I have a target date now on my layout, Fall 2018 as the Division 5 of NMRA here in the Lansing area has a regional North Central Region convention and I've been asked to be on their layout tour. LOTS of work before that can happen but I said I would do it.

No other news here. I hope all int he East are being safe in the snow event. Does this storm have a name? (Silliest thing I've heard of)

BE SAFE!!

BE SAFE!!
Karl Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  10:02:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll take some coffee. Where's the bacon?

Damn cold out side. Worked hard watching my son shovel. It's a tough life being management around here. Snow day in upstate NY. Will be working on my Rubble Station kit mingle today.

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  10:05:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good, late, morning Tom. I slept in a bit to try and gain back some of my sleep hours that I lost due to the bursitis pain. It helped.
Just my usual, Oatmeal and Tea. I've gotten down to 165 pounds. That's almost a 70 pound drop in three years. No, I'm not going out to celebrate.

COld out,20f, but Spring is due in a week. Yeah, right.

Well, I have some shipping to do and some orders to fill. So, off to work I go Hi Ho, Hi Ho. Everyone have a fun day in the Train Yard.

Walt

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  10:28:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings from snowy southeast NH. We have maybe 2" at 10:30, on our way to 18" or so. I need to do some pick-up/clean-up, and then maybe some time in the improvised model shop in the (cold) basement.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  10:43:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning, crew. This is a donut crowd, Tom, even though many won''t admit it. I'm not ashamed to grab two.

I settled in Tidewater Virginia to miss all the fun you guys are having with the snow and ice. Keep the stories coming - I'm enjoying them.

Pat has plans for the bathroom that includes me painting the cabinet under the sink, which I've been doing this morning. I'm spending the afternoon at a friend's house helping tear out his HO layout and recovering as much as we can. He's 87 and has lost interest in the hobby.

Have a good day.
George

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  10:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning; I plan to work on models and the layout till late afternoon; if it feels like rain might fall, I'll get out the tractor, but otherwise I'll wait till morning. Our Moderator moved the Town's vote from today to Thursday and the Town Meeting from Wed. to Friday, so I've got slack time now and have to miss the Hub's Railfun Night Friday.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  11:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings from South West, CT. Snow and wind started at 2:AM. 4:AM 2"; 6:AM 4".
We now have 11" and the wind is @ 60 MPH. All roads are closed and the visibility is ZERO'. Every TV station is covering the storm. They are saying 3:PM it should taper off.
Totals will be 24" to 30 inches. In 1993 we got hit with 3 feet, but no winds. 1996 we got hit with 3 feet and no winds. So it's been a few years since we had a good storm like this one'. I must admit, I do love the quietness of no traffic. Still have power, that's my only concern. I'll keep you posted as things progress...Think I'll knock out the taxes today'.

And Jim, please stay off the roads'....

Ted

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  11:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just got in from digging out. Maybe about 10 inches out there. Hard to say since it has been blowing around. But, things turned to freezing rain...more like hail. That kind of stung when it hit your face. But, I've dug us out and my neighbor. Now, it is time to get something to eat in the lounge!

I think I'll be able to spend some time at the bench, inbetween plowing out.

Chuck

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  11:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning! Nothing here in KY except cold as heck!

Have a great day, drink water and don't overdue the labor!

Philip

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  12:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mornin' All!

It's 20F, feels like 5 and actually sunny here in the northern mitten, as the Big 'Un went well south of here. I have maybe two inches on the ground, and the plow guy has come and gone. I'm OK with this, but wonder about the robins I saw in town a couple of days ago....

For those of you dealing with ice and high wind, I've found that sand is pretty much useless up here, so I use "chicken grit," which is granulated granite. This stuff stays where I put it, comes up in the summer with rain, broom or leaf-blower, and is really good for traction. A friend mentioned this in the early nineties when I was bemoaning the Disappearing Sand fiasco; I've used it ever since and love it. A fifty pound bag runs under ten bucks at the local feed store....

So... hunker down, folks, and stay safe!

Pete
in Michigan

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  12:06:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Afternoon

Well the snow in South Jersey is all rain. Thank God for these small favors.

Rain is heavy with really high winds. So it should be a good day to stay in and work at the bench.

Everyone have a great day!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  12:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning to the entire crew. We are still in Puyallup with the grandkids. I checked with our neighbor and he said that they are getting all snow, the light and fluffy kind. He also said that he would take care of our driveway with his ATV plow. Note to self - increase the quantity of veggies from the garden that we give him this summer!

Have a great day.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  1:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good afternoon crew! I finally got around to checking in and see that the coffee is all gone, so I'm putting on another pot for anyone who may wander in later. As for the doughnuts, there's a few left, at least for now! I think I'll help myself!

So the 'big snow event' in our area turned out to be pretty much nothing. I got up this morning to see about an inch on the ground, but rain and sleet. I still decided to stay home and work from home today, and managed to put about an hour in on the layout too. I'll head back down there a little later on.

Stay warm my friends!

Mark

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Weathering question Topic Next Topic: Thursday  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000