Railroad Line Forums - Has anyone added a cliff to a table-top layout?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Has anyone added a cliff to a table-top layout?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Wednesday 3.15.15 later lounge Topic Next Topic: Dry adhesive  

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  10:00:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a 6-8 foot mountain on my layout that took up too much space on my layout. I tore it down and now have a table-top layout. I kind of miss bridges and trestles and was thinking about adding a cliff-cutout on the layout to feature a trestle. Has anyone added a cliff scene to a table-top layout? I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures on how they turned out

k9wrangler
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  12:17:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have done something sort of like that in the past and actually have a once flat area on my layout i was just preparing tonight for a lower level cut out for a trestle structure.

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  08:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So.. of the 124 people that have read this thus far.....
I wonder how many were thinking there is a cliff on every layout where the trains accidentally meet the floor when they fall off the layout.

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  09:27:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is something like I was talking about.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  5:24:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, I added cliffs two ways. One used stacked ceiling tiles and the other used foam covered with plaster cloth . One the ceiling tile side I added a King Post Bridge over a chasm and on the other I added both a girder bridge and a Queen Post Bridge.

I'm on the road and using a mobile device, so I don't know how to link to the pages. If you do a search thru the forum for "Quarry Branch" in the subject/title field, you should find my thread. Pictures are on pages 6, 8, 12, and 14.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  7:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

John, I added cliffs two ways. One used stacked ceiling tiles and the other used foam covered with plaster cloth . One the ceiling tile side I added a King Post Bridge over a chasm and on the other I added both a girder bridge and a Queen Post Bridge.

I'm on the road and using a mobile device, so I don't know how to link to the pages. If you do a search thru the forum for "Quarry Branch" in the subject/title field, you should find my thread. Pictures are on pages 6, 8, 12, and 14.

http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12493&whichpage=6

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  10:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David J Buchholz

So.. of the 124 people that have read this thus far.....
I wonder how many were thinking there is a cliff on every layout where the trains accidentally meet the floor when they fall off the layout.

I was going to comment "not intentionally" That is exactly what crossed my mind. Good call!

Jim

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  11:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Lou!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  11:05:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This one is made out of Frocks, aka foam rocks.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  6:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, here's an example on my N scale layout.
Used stacked styrene to build up the height, and added cliff faces made from some moulds I made, then spayed some expanding foam into them.

Of course I still need to add hundreds of tress to the scene, which will take away that tabletop look.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Previous Topic: Wednesday 3.15.15 later lounge Topic Next Topic: Dry adhesive  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000