Railroad Line Forums - rusty stumps o scale backwoods water tower
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 61 ]  [ Total: 69 ]  [ Newest Member: Bluegill ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 rusty stumps o scale backwoods water tower
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Nevada city fire station in HO Topic Next Topic: Blair line church
Page: of 4

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  6:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Still hanging in there with ya Kevin....

Surprised to hear about this issue with Walt's kit... Or did I miss something?

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  9:04:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you missed me doing something real dumb. stupid even. i just about have all of my mistakes cut off. had to take a break. (it's nerve wracking work...) i only have 15 more cuts to make and one side to sand. then i get to re-detail 46 board ends (for the second time...arrrgh)
as for walt's kit, it's a very cool kit. i just finished reading the construction manual again just to make sure i'm on the right track.
i think i'm going to tackle the tank siding tonight and leave the cuts for the weekend.
stay tuned....

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  3:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
before work this morning i managed to cut the deck boards and detail the ends of the boards (again). i went through two chisel blades making these cuts and i knocked a couple of the pilings off, so they've all been reattached and the foundation logs have been reinstalled:

now that that's finished i can move on to the tank siding. hopefully i can get to that saturday.

Edited by - kebmo on 03/15/2017 3:15:05 PM

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2017 :  6:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
now that the bed and breakfast is off my bench, i got back to this kit. i have to say, i'm experiencing a great deal of frustration with the tank siding. after following the instructions i had it rubber banded around a jar that was slightly smaller than the tank formers. when i dampened it again and removed it from the jar after 3 or 4 days, i started the process of gluing it to the tank formers and dampening it as i go i still managed to split the siding in 7 different places. i'm not sure how i'm going to be able to mask that.....
and then there's this:
no there isn't. something is goofy with the text window and there's no option to attach a file.

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2017 :  8:14:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 of His backwoods water tower kit's sitting on the shelf so following along on this build.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2017 :  10:16:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i posted this once and it never appeared in the thread. anyway, this is what's got me so frustrated with the kit:

what i don't understand is, why wouldn't you change the diameter of the tank to accomodate two siding panels instead of leaving a gap? or...make the siding panels a bit longer so that two will cover the tank. there's a third panel in the kit so i can splice it in, but why? it's frustrating, aggravating work that isn't necessary.
i'm not complaining, though it probably sounds like i am...i'm just really frustrated.
when i get this issue straightened out and it's all glued up i'm gonna hit the upper part of the tank with some more of the ochre to light it up just a bit more.

the siding split in 6 or 7 places too. i'm not sure how i can mask that. does anyone have any good suggestions? please?

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2017 :  4:14:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what i decided to do about the splits in the tank siding is to fill them with wood putty and then try to blend the coloring. if it's too ugly on the inside of the tank i will simply build a cover for the tank.
fingers crossed that the putty does the job.

has anyone noticed any issued with posting the past few days?
yesterday i composed a post and there was no option to attach a file.
i also posted congrats to greg shinnie (ensign) and that post didn't even post.
i logged off the site (for the first time since joining 7 or 8 years ago) and logged back on and the option to attach a file was back, but the congrats to greg pfft...gone.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  8:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i finished this structure today. i will be doing it on hillside as walt intended, but i'm not going tackle that for a few days.
the tank siding split badly. 6 or 7 times. i tried to mask the splits with putty, but it didn't really work. in fact it looked like hell. i decided that the only way possible to mask those nasty splits was to build a cover for the tank. i ordered some scale 3"x10"s an 2"x8"s and built it. i hate to say that i'm not proud of the way this ended up, because it's an outstanding design and real cool looking structure.
i just wish the siding hadn't given me such fits. here's a few pics of the finished water tower. when i get the landscaping finished i will post in a separate thread.

in case you're wondering why i cleaned off my workbench, i was inspired by a thread that glen started about his.
there's another reason, and i'll open a new thread for that.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  09:40:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kevin,

Despite the problems you had with the tank, it turned out very nice. It looks appropriately worn and weathered.

At least with the top you don't have all those leaves and dust falling in your tank, plus your model is different from everybody else's.

Good job throughout.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  12:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Thanks. If the siding hadn't split so badly i would be proud of this build. its a very cool looking structure. and you're right, the cover does make it unique.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  9:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You plunged through it Kevin, despite the issues.

Well done.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  05:01:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kevin, the tank has come out brilliant. A lot of work, and at times frustrating, but that's all good for learning.
It is a craftman's kit, and you've done a wonderful job.

Is it going on a layout, or diorama?

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  07:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
carl: thanks
rob: ultimately i hope to put it on a layout.

Edited by - kebmo on 04/07/2017 07:46:29 AM

potsy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  08:20:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin looks good to me

Mark

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  4:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, that looks fine. I only had part of one panel split but I think it was because it wasn't wet enough. I didn't use water on my siding because it would cause the wood to swell. Instead I used 90% Alcohol and liberally applied it to both sides when forming around the can. I then also used it again when attaching to the frame, but only on the outside. The key is to use a can or tube just slightly under the frame size so once the panels are curved they won't split.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Nevada city fire station in HO Topic Next Topic: Blair line church  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000