Railroad Line Forums - rusty stumps o scale backwoods water tower
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: SanderR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 rusty stumps o scale backwoods water tower
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Wichendon Machine Company Topic Next Topic: Trying to ID this kit
Page: of 3

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  3:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you have to be careful with the siding. I had one section split when bending but it may have been scribed too deep. I told Walt about it and he was going to try to decrease the scribing depth. You could cut the board's tops after the glue up.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  4:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
that's exactly what i was thinking. easier to do it that way and less chance of splitting.
i have a question: the instructions state that the tank wrapper paper that you glue the siding to will be short of the third piece of siding, when in fact, it's 3/4" shorter than the second piece of siding. it states clearly that it's the O scale water tank wrapper. i guess my question is: How many siding sections did it take you to cover the entire tank? i ran a length of string around the tank filler, and two siding sections are 3/4" short of covering the tank filler. Is this right? the paper tank wrapper is 3/4" shorter than the second piece of siding, so i'm real confused about how this is supposed to work. the instructions don't even mention the third panel, and i want to get this straight before i glue anything to anything.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  9:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
dave,
the templates came today. thank you. i'm still pretty confused with the tank siding issue, but i'll keep hammerin' away until i figure it out.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  12:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i wasn't happy using walt's staining recipe (actually it was mike chamber's recipe). the stripwood just came out too dark.

so i redid it using brett's technique and i think i like this much better.

and the same thing with the tank siding. here it is after walt's recipe:

and here it is redone:

i will be adding some more "scaling" to the bottoms of the siding panels with white and light grey pastels and a fine brush.
thoughts? criticisms?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  5:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kevin,

I like what you did and how it turned out. The interesting part is that you are able to lighten it up and vary the finish, which I think was too uniformly dark.

I think I know Brett's technique but you might want to describe it for those who don't.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 03/12/2017 5:47:18 PM

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  9:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
glad to:
brett gallant, owner of sierra west scale models is a proponent of using rembrandt pastels for staining strip wood. he has an excellent video tutorial on his website https://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/
he lays out several pieces of stripwood on a glass work top, and with a single edged razor blade, scrape some of the pastel onto the stripwood, dip a paintbrush in alcohol and slather the alcohol over the wood, causing the pigments from the chalks to settle into the wood and act as a stain once the alcohol evaporates.
for the colors on my stripwood i used
burnt umber (408.3)
raw umber (408.5)
light grey (408.9

for the tank siding
(231.3) it's an ochre but that part of the label is cut off so i can't tell ya the name.
(409.7) another ochre i believe
light gray (408.9)

for the scaling at the bottom
light gray (408.9)
white (100.5)
the beautiful thing about his method is that you can scrape the chalk right on the glass worktop and dip your brush in alcohol and swirl it together to mix colors.

so tonight i glued up the framing and deck for the tank platform and started gluing the siding panels to the paper tank wrapper.

spyder62
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  12:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit spyder62's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For forming the tank wrap, if you wet the out side only it will bend in the right direction by it self. And makes it easier to form, I do that on my Jacks water tower kit.
rich
rslaserkits

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.
--John Adams

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  08:08:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks rich. i'll hopefully get to that point tonight or tomorrow

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  1:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad the templates made it OK.

It took me about 2 1/2 pieces of siding. My strip of paper was long enough to go around the form.
As I said, I only glued two panels to the paper strip around the salt canister form. After dry, I glued those two to the RSSM tank assembly round frame. I then held the third panel up to the remaining space(which I had also formed the curve into the 3rd panel).
I marked the spot where to cut the panel length to fit into the space remaining. A little long is OK as you can sand it later to fit.

Dave Mason
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - mabloodhound on 03/13/2017 1:11:13 PM

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  2:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
dave,
my paper wrapper doesn't make it all the way to the end of the 2nd siding panel, but that said, walt did say the the siding panels are larger now, so that may not matter. it's actually 3/4" shorter than the right end of the second panel. he emailed me this morning asking me to help him inventory the kit because the O scale version may need updating so i intend to mention that to him.
would you like me to return your templates when i'm finished with the kit?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  11:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kevin, thank you for the tutorial. I plan to give it a try.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  08:24:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
and now for another installment of "stupid modeler tricks":
walt's construction manual didn't specify what length to cut the decking planks on the tank stand, so i decided to install the boards full size and trim them later. the instructions only say to make sure that they overhang equally on both sides. so....
i let one side overhand 1 1/2" with the intention of cutting the other side to that length. then i stumbled across the template and discovered that the overhang on both sides is 1/2". after a brief experiment with a certain version of french, i painstakingly began the slow process of marking and cutting the boards to a 1/2" overhang. it's a slow grind because it's 24 difficult cuts on both sides. and i spent so much time detailing the ends of the boards.....
guess i'll have to do that again now.

i cut a piece of 1/2" stock that i had to use as a cutting guide:

pretty damn dumb, huh?

Edited by - kebmo on 03/14/2017 08:51:21 AM

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  11:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Kevin, Just hope the off fall is not needed elsewhere. Looking great!

Carry On!

Philip

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  4:58:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should have had enough correct length boards to finish that deck. The longer ones were for use elsewhere. However I was short a couple of the deck boards and used some of my scrap I had on hand.
I did not have to trim any deck boards to length.

All the boards were color coded and in separate bags so they should have worked out. I did an inventory for Walt when I built the kit but he may have not gotten everything corrected.

NO, I do NOT need the templates back. Save them for the next guy.

Dave Mason

Edited by - mabloodhound on 03/14/2017 4:59:37 PM

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  5:15:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
dave,
the deck boards in my kit were 32 scale feet long. like a dope i didn't check the template until after they were all glued down, so now i'm cutting them to length. lesson learned.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Wichendon Machine Company Topic Next Topic: Trying to ID this kit  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000