Railroad Line Forums - rusty stumps o scale backwoods water tower
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: buc45 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 rusty stumps o scale backwoods water tower
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Nevada city fire station in HO Topic Next Topic: Blair line church
Page: of 4

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  10:54:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
once i finish up the bed breakfast (today) i plan on starting on the backwoods water tower next.
has anyone on this forum built this kit? i'm nervous about starting it because the included templates are in H.O. and not O so if there's anyone that's built this and has any tips, i would really appreciate them.

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  11:58:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6998

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  12:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks for posting the link.

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  12:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you may have to enlarge your template. Ask Rusty aka Walt. He's active in the lounge forum mostly.

Philip

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  3:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin,
I just finished building the new O scale water tower from RSSM.
If you have the new kit, the templates are all in O scale. If it is the old kit you might get Walt to send you the new templates or I could send you my set (would need a snail mail address)

It's a great kit and goes together nice.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  3:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
dave,
i must have gotten one of the older ones. i checked the dimensions against my scale ruler and it's clearly ho. if you would send those that would be really great. i will send you pm.

by the way, i went to three grocery stores looking for a 42 oz can of tomato juice (walt's recommendation for forming the o scale tank siding) and couldn't really find anything. the closest i found was a 46 oz can. what did you use to form the siding?

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  3:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will be watching this project.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  7:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well here are the contents of the box. it consists of 4 bags, three of them filled with premeasured strip wood, and one with resin castings and other detail parts.
i'll start this in earnest soon. forum member dave is sending me the O scale templates (the kit came with h.o. templates)and i'll start on it as soon as they arrive.
the instruction manual is comprehensive and thorough. i've read through it three times so far. the manual calls for staining the stripwood and tank siding right out of the gate, but i'm going distress some wood before staining it, using my array of wire brushes.
i've already painted the three large logs that get embedded in the turf. i blended burnt sienna and burnt umber and brushed it on. after 24 hours i drybrushed some grimy black and then added some pastel chalks/alcohol. once it's all dry i'll drybrush some off white and light grey on them.
last night i stained all the contents of bag 2 and certain parts of bag one. i did the swsm method of graining and detailing all the wood before staining. i followed mike chamber's recipe and the wood came out pretty dark with not alot of variation, so i will likely lighten it up a bit with chalks.

Edited by - kebmo on 03/07/2017 09:09:09 AM

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  09:24:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure about a 42 oz can. Look good so far.

Philip

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  09:55:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah, i searched high and low for a 42 oz can. the diameter is 3 3/4" strong, and i found a juice bottle thats close, so i'll probably use that to shape the siding.

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  09:57:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since I have the O scale version (new one) on a shelf will be following this with interest.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  10:19:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin your off to a good start. I'll be following along.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  11:39:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Or if you had any 3" PVC pipe lengths around- that's usually 3 1/2" diameter.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  12:32:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, Templates are on the way to you.

I don't remember what I used for the diameter form. I took the round frame circle into the pantry and found something slightly smaller. I think it may have been a salt container. It was slightly smaller in diameter and allowed for some spring-back.

I only glued two panels onto the tape and I used a lot of 90% alcohol to keep the wood wet when forming. Water would only cause the wood to expand and when it dried it would shrink too much. I formed the curve in the 3rd panel and cut it to fit after I had the assembly glued to the frame.

Dave Mason
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  12:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thing I did was to saw small notches at the top of every board to indicate some wear and weathering at the joints. And I used a marker to draw the boards on the inside of the tank.
I just wish I had done this before I had put it all together. It would have been easier when it was all flat.

Dave Mason

Edited by - mabloodhound on 03/07/2017 12:41:24 PM

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  08:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i took your lead and drew in the lines on the inside of the tank siding yesterday before i left for the airport. i'll probably also add the notches at the top (between the boards), but it makes me a little nervous worrying about the siding splitting.
i contacted walt yesterday because i started on the plumbing fittings and all but one of them was ho, so walt is sending me the correct fittings this week. this seems like it's going to be a fun build. i need to figure out a way to place it next to the woodcutter's shack and blend in the land contours (the woodcutter's shack has none for now, but i think that will change and i will gradually slope into the tower's "hillside").

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Nevada city fire station in HO Topic Next Topic: Blair line church  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000