Railroad Line Forums - HOn30
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 82 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: harry callahan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 HOn30
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HOn30 Joe Works Topic Next Topic: The M - K & Eastern RR
Page: of 3

rlarryb
New Hire

Posted - 03/05/2017 :  07:34:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where are all the HOn30 modelers?

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2017 :  09:14:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rlarryb

Where are all the HOn30 modelers?

I', right here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43390&whichpage=1

and here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44328&whichpage=1

and here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43142&whichpage=1

and here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47916&whichpage=5

Don't know how many others there are.

Bernd

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2017 :  09:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dabble in HOn30. I built a couple of Rich Brungard's cars and I'm looking forward to his new caboose. (http://marshcreekmini.com)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2017 :  09:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still here. Check out http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36209

Jeff S.

Edited by - jschumaker on 03/05/2017 10:05:37 AM

afbrian13
New Hire

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  09:43:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to get into it. I want to. picked up some minitrains and trying to design a layout.
Brian

JimF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  11:34:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, counting myself, only 6 of us here? Perhaps folks in HOn30 just are more solo creatures. There is not a FB page for HOn30 (fine with me) though it is included in one for HOn30, 009, and HOe, I have not found a HOn30 forum anywhere other than this one, and the HOn30 Yahoo group is not all that busy, usually.

Anyway, I've been trying to decide between On30 and HOn30, and much as I am a bit more comfy working in the larger scale, HO just fits my space a lot better.

I'm a fan of the Maine 2 foot lines, primarily the SR&RL, but I'm going to do freelance. A 2 foot (well, 30" gauge) line serving a upscale resort area, based on Newport RI in the early 1900's. At least, that's the plan for now. :)

Jim F

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  5:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wasn't much of a hard choice for me. The main railroad will be standard gauge. The 30" line is for a quarry operation. There is/was a quarry operation 20 to 30 miles west of me that served the LV, B&O and NYC. It had a 3 foot line running from the quarry to the LV and B&O. In one of my links is more info of the quarry.

Bernd

ddavidv
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  7:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought one of Rich's little diesel switcher bodies because I had a N scale Bachmann Plymouth donor already. I'd like to build a mini layout but am having trouble envisioning the footprints of buildings (need to make some templates I suppose). Also, the limited number of cars available is a bit off-putting. Seems like a scale that should have more popularity; On30 does pretty well by comparison. I got sucked into the On30 vortex but the space requirements for any decent kind of layout (HUGE buildings) have caused me to dismiss it. Now what to do with all these On30 locos...

JimF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  8:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David (?), On30's popularity came about more from Bachmann getting into it more than anything else. And they basically did it to get in on the popularity of the Christmas village collectable market. Prior to that, there was not all that much available in On30.

As for HOn30, there is quite a bit out there, one just has to look for it. Minitrains does excellent small locos, and has a range of rolling stock, as well. Railway Recollections produces rolling stock and loco conversion kits, to use with N scale mechs. There are wood type kits from Mount Blue Models( http://mountbluemodelco.com/ ), and 3d printed rolling stock from several creators on Shapeways. Look up tebee, Mynar Models and Marsh Creek on it. I think all three also do loco conversion kits, as well.

The biggest thing is deciding what and where you want to model. Proto, fictional, combo, just narrow gauge, or both, like Bernd. Lots of options.

Jim F

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  1:58:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One huge advantage of On30 is that it runs -really well-. That's a combination of the size of the locos and Bachmann's reasonably good quality.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

JimF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  7:36:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True, Dave, though I have read on various groups and forums that many have experienced the dreaded cracked gear problem. Mainly with older locos, I believe.

Mine are ordered, so can't speak from experience yet, but have read nothing but excellent comments about how well the Minitrain locos run. I do have a Bachmann HOn30 Skarloey, and it runs like a dreaam, with excellent pulling power.

So perhaps HOn30 has closed the performance gap just a bit.

Jim F

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2017 :  08:59:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you are into scratch building engines and need a power chassis, I get mine here. http://stores.ebay.com/Plaza-Japan/Kato-/_i.html?_fsub=5&_sid=169030440&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322 I use the Kato 11-100 series of power units. May not be you thing but they do run great.

Bernd

JimF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  05:22:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With Railway Recollections, Marsh Creek, Mynar Models, etc... all producing great conversion kits for excellent running RTR models, not as much of a need for scratch building locos.

The Kato power chassis are excellent, there are many 009 tram loco 3d shells for them, and HOn30 diesel shells as well. Not much use to steam loco modelers.

But no matter what one models, working in HOn30 does seem to be getting easier and easier these days.

I was about to order the marsh Creek 2-6-2 conversion, for the Bachmann N scale Prairie, when he comes out with his conversion for the Skarloey model. Since I already have one of those, I'll order that conversion, 1st. Just wish he had released it 'before' I had ordered the Narrow Planet kit for the model :) Oh well.

Jim F

tillerman1
New Hire

Posted - 03/23/2017 :  10:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit tillerman1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm trying out HOn30 after deciding that Sn2 is a bit too large to build a Maine-themed layout in the space I have available. So far I've started the first section of an 8x13 shelf layout and built a few freight cars.

John

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  3:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

What have you built?

Jeff S.

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  08:09:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I began modeling in HOn30 in 1973.

Still here today.

Photo from 1973.

N scale Atlas 0-6-0 with Kemtron HOn3 details added.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: HOn30 Joe Works Topic Next Topic: The M - K & Eastern RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000