Railroad Line Forums - Scratchbuilding a Two Axle Gondola
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 68 ]  [ Total: 71 ]  [ Newest Member: LongHornCaddy2 ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Scratchbuilding a Two Axle Gondola
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tyco 1890 Passenger Cars Topic Next Topic: Looking for a Vintage Trolley Car  

CWRailman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/03/2017 :  4:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit CWRailman's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Check out the latest build to come from Olí Harold and the Fall River Line shops. Itís a two axle four wheeled gondola based on a photo he found of a car used by the Illinois Central roundhouse. http://cwrailman.com/FRL/2%20Axle/2%20Axle%20Gondola.htm
In this build, Olí Harold introduces one of the new glues he has become fond of and has added to his arsenal.

Denny
Janitor in Training
CW Loco and Car Rebuild Shops
WEB site: http://www.cwrailman.com/
Facebook: CWRailman

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2017 :  4:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  07:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Denny,

Interesting prototype and well-done models.

And a bonus: a new glue to add to the arsenal.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  09:22:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bitter Creek Models has the appropriate truck castings, see T-77 near the bottom of the page http://www.bittercreekmodels.com/page4.html

I have some of that UV-activated glue, but haven't tried it yet. (Not sure if it survived my stuff getting frozen earlier this year.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

CWRailman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/05/2017 :  11:43:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit CWRailman's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Dave thanks for that information on the availability of the side frames. I will pass it along to Olí Harold and have him update his build page to include a link to that WEB site

Denny
Janitor in Training
CW Loco and Car Rebuild Shops
WEB site: http://www.cwrailman.com/
Facebook: CWRailman

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2017 :  12:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting models and they look too.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  12:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking gondola!

Philip

CavalryTrooper25
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  11:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have done something similar to this using old Hornby OO car frame's, I picked up at a flea market when I was posted in the UK back in the late 70s. I have to hunt for them, and take a picture for posting. I have also used the Hornby OO scale spoked wheel sets (which are metal wheels), as they are a more period correct wheel for what I was trying to model. The nice thing is, that all the modern British OO stuff is now gauged to HO track specs. so all the axles are already our HO gauge. I used HO scale wooden ties to build the side walls, and ends, then used strip wood to make the ribs, etc. Once painted, they look fantastic, as you still have the rough wood appearance under the paint. Much of this stuff can be found on E-Bay/UK. Go look at it, just in case you want to consider it.

Horse

Previous Topic: Tyco 1890 Passenger Cars Topic Next Topic: Looking for a Vintage Trolley Car  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000