Railroad Line Forums - Modifying a Hartland Flat
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Modifying a Hartland Flat
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A place to post Shapeways, other 3d Printer finds Topic Next Topic: Car siding question...
Page: of 4

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  1:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Ted,
I wanted to build a few cars for a little variety from my usual buildings.
I'm sure glad you stopped by...not many visitors on this posting.
Dave

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  3:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Ted, fantastic wood construction on this stock car. It's going to make a great rolling stock addition for you. We all get that "not many visitors" you just have to keep plugging along. There are so many on-lookers that won't post, but use your ideas!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  9:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Louis for the nice comments on the stock car and especially for the spirit boost. It's a lot of work to document and post the process and I was starting to wonder if it is worth the time. You are correct about the visitors. I often visited posts and used a lot of the posts for inspiration, without commenting to the craftsman.
Glad you reminded me as to why we post!
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2017 :  10:04:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Interesting construction going on here and intriguing use of balsa. Very retro. I don't use balsa--the grain is a little coarse for HO--but I do have a tube of GOO around here somewhere.

I'm thinking of doing some carbuilding when I finish my current structure.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2017 :  8:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Balsa works well for this 1:24 build. I'm going for a weathered car and the balsa grain helps absorb the diluted paint finish plus it's easier to add wood graining on the slats. Never used Goo, just Aleene's Quick Set. Making this car was easier than I anticipated. Wishing you success with your cars.
Thanks, Dave

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2017 :  9:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cut 1/16 x 1/4 x 2 1/16 roof boards and glue in place.

Also add door guide trim, 1/16 x 1/4 x 4 5/16 long mounted on 1/16 x 1/8 x 4 5/16 long shim spacer.

Roof walk made from (3) 1/16 x 1/4 x 9 13/16 balsa strips mounted on 1/8 square x 3/4 balsa notched to match roof slope.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2017 :  10:14:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Nice overall construction going on here. I have wanted to make one or several of these in HO scale, but have other irons in the fire. Can you shrink some of these for me?
Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2017 :  10:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

At this scale the balsa looks appropriate. Fine looking car.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  4:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich,
Too many irons in the fire is a big issue in our hobby. We hatch new ideas faster than we can build. Thanks for the nice comment.

Mike,
I appreciate your comments. Working on completing the body and preparing the flat car portion.

Dave

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  8:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I use a lot of Balsa in my 1/4 scale projects. I used even more when I built in your scale'. I like the grain and the way it soaks up paint, stain, powders, etc. Your build is first class'. You are doing pretty good with over 700 views. Most threads only receive 2 to 7,8 percent of respondents commenting. The more frustrating situation is when you respond to a post, eg, wishing a member a happy birthday and or praising their build, and never receiving any acknowledgement', in return. However, as Louis say's, and I agree, just keep plugging along. It is a lot of extra work documenting a build'. And it is very much appreciated. Some just don't chime in. AT any given time there are always (99) right now, [guests] viewing, compared to 7 members. So don't sweat it Dave'. The members that chime in, LOVE your work'....

Ted

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  1:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted,
Thanks for the enthusiasm in your reply...It's just the boost I needed.
I'll be here for the long haul because it's too much fun to build things and I do enjoy the comments!
Dave

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  1:43:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, I have been sort of out-of-the-loop, on checking out all the great builds on the forum.
This is a great looking car and would look very good riding the rails on the LP&N RR.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  1:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Add 1/16 square ladder rungs and name board.

Paint deck slate gray, add straw (cut sisal string) and cow patties (clay). Add the trim board, cut to match car profile.

Add door track same size as header track. (no shim required)

Ready to add paint before gluing body to flat car. (easier to paint the car interior)

Edited by - Guff on 03/21/2017 3:57:39 PM

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  1:48:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,
I'm glad you stopped by! The "shorty" cars are fun to build and easy when you start with a Hartland flat!
Thank you for the thumbs up!
Dave

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2017 :  12:24:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A superb looking car Dave'. Can't wait to see it painted up and on it's trucks and ready to roll'...Nice job'..

Ted

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: A place to post Shapeways, other 3d Printer finds Topic Next Topic: Car siding question...  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000