Railroad Line Forums - DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: LongHornCaddy2 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2 Topic Next Topic: NNY RR
Page: of 5

Catt
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  11:55:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Catt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,
You just solved my problem with that last picture.That is exactly what I want to do I guess I just couldn't get a clear picture of it in my mind.

Thank You

Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
100% Michigan made

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  12:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,

I will be following along with your build, as I have yet to do a structure using a DPM kit.

Rich

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  9:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frank, Johnathan, and Rich.

Frank, for my cuts, I just use a No.11 exacto blade, small steel ruler, and patience.
I do a few light slices along the mortar line to start with, and then some with more pressure.
I also line up and do the same on the back. This is important for a clean finish. Once I'm through most of the way, I then snap it (like you would do for styrene sheet), and clean up.
For clean up, I'm a bit unusual. Rather than spending time with small files, I just rub it back & forth a few times along a smooth concrete paver. Much quicker and even finish.

Johnathan, glad you've now got a visual to work with. And the left over bits, can be used for another kitbash that I'll demonstrate at the end of this build.

Rich, give a DPM structure a go. They're easy to work with and pretty cheap, and nice OOB or kitbashed.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  9:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
rub it back & forth a few times along a smooth concrete paver. Much quicker and even finish.

Now THATS interesting... un-usual request here but...can you shoot a picture of the paver you are using Rob?

I've got some plastic work coming up and would like to see what you mean by "smooth".
Thank you.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  02:06:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carl. Thanks for your interest. Using the paver will probably upset a lot of modelling purists who spend a lot on needle files, etc, but it works for me. (I still have various files for small work).
Some folks even glue sandpaper to a wooden block which is good too, but of course you have to keep replacing it.
Here's the smooth paver I use. Nothing special, but just should be flat if you run you hand over it.

I wouldn't use this one, which is very rough.

Regards Rob

Edited by - robert goslin on 02/16/2017 02:08:18 AM

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  03:29:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's how the walls have come up, all glued together.

On the right hand one I had to use 2 strips of 0.5mm styrene in the middle join so the window spacing would match. I cut some brick into the styrene.

For the windows on the left top wall, the lintels needed to be thickened up a bit to match the other widows.

Regards Rob

Blazeman
New Hire

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  2:38:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's some darn good attention to detail to notice the difference in the lintels.

Clever approach with the paver. I have a rather long/wide mill file I lay on the bench. It's heavy enough that it doesn't move around as I push the section back and forth to smooth, level, or remove. Teeth give a coarse profile, so finishing with fine grit paper is necessary.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  8:13:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
“For clean up, I'm a bit unusual. Rather than spending time with small files, I just rub it back & forth a few times along a smooth concrete paver. Much quicker and even finish.”

And I thought I was the only one that did the concrete thing. I’ve used a flat spot in the driveway or sidewalk in the past but I think I’ll switch to a paver, much more portable.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  8:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“For clean up, I'm a bit unusual. Rather than spending time with small files, I just rub it back & forth a few times along a smooth concrete paver. Much quicker and even finish.”

Rob, Now That's a great method and beats changing sand paper sheets all the time'..I have a nice even brick that I use on occasion. But for longer pieces, think I'll invest on a paver'...

Ted

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  9:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Always good to watch your small scale craftsmanship. Looking forward to this build.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  9:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent Rob-

but my neighbors will call the guys in the white coats on me when I'm rubbing a plastic wall on my backyard patio! We got a whole bunch of them out there!

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  10:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Larry. The main reason for the different size lintels was, that wall part was originally from a side wall, where as the front walls always seems to have slightly different detail. A simple fix to match them, although in N scale, I'm probably the only one who would have noticed.

Regards Rob

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  10:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, good to hear there's another person using concrete for filing. Looks like our secret's out.

Ted, yep, and pavers are also make good weights.

Adrian, thanks for looking in. Appreciate it mate. Are you going the the NG convention in Geelong at Easter ?

Carl, If you're worried about the neighbors, do your sanding at night, when they're asleep. Or just tell them you know Frank.

Regards Rob

Edited by - robert goslin on 02/16/2017 10:15:53 PM

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  11:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That must be quite a workout moving that paver back and forth!

Nice work on the cuts, Rob!

Chuck

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  8:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chuck. Since using the paver, I now don't need a gym membership.

Regards Rob

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2 Topic Next Topic: NNY RR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000