Railroad Line Forums - The grandson layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: CURMUDGEON ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 The grandson layout
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad Topic Next Topic: How many of you recognize this?
Page: of 3

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  09:05:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James - Thanks for checking in and the suggestions. All the sections are bolted together and so they can be easily separated if the layout needs to be moved. I also bolted part of it to the wall so it is pretty solid and secure. I am planning on using the Woodland Scenics foam risers to create the grades. Great suggestion on the foam. I'm going to try not to plant one solid piece of foam on top of another, especially where I have to install those switches. I'm going to have to do a little research on securing those Tortoise machines to foam!

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  3:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is actually some progress on the layout. I continue to get a little overwhelmed at times, not wanting to make too many mistakes which impedes the progress. I finally got to a point where I needed to get some roadbed down. As you can see, I am using the Woodland Scenics risers and roadbed. I hope to continue the progress along the back wall this week.

David Clark
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  6:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, from what I have seen on foam substrate you need to insert a piece of wood into a well in the foam that you can then screw the switch machine to. Pretty easy to find similar ideas on the net. I was thinking of using foam at one point then switched to open-grid system with risers. That was mostly due to having more familiarity with open-grid. I am sure any obstacles can be overcome.
Good luck,
Dave

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  10:54:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress Jeff, but don't be afraid to make mistakes. You will, and that's ok. It's how we learn. Believe me, we all make mistakes! Better than that though is down the road, when things get running, you will see something and come up with a different way to do it. For example, you make decide that a turnout should be moved, or wish you had run a certain track a different way. Don't be afraid to make those changes as it will improve your layout and your level of satisfaction. Its not a mistake, but rather an improvement. So changes are in your future and that's ok! Just keep building and have fun!

Mark

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  10:54:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David - I have read that as well. There was an article on using double-sided foam tape to secure the wood to the foam. The author has used this for around 5 years and has had no problems yet so that is the method I believe I will attempt. I am using 1 1/2" foam so I have some longer, sturdier piano wire to run form the switch machines to the switches.
Mark - That is what I have to get telling myself so I can continue to move forward. I need to get to the point where I can begin wiring the layout and getting trains running. I think that will be the best way to see how things are working and if I need to make any changes though Rob provided me with a design that fits well with the are I have.
I appreciate the input from both of you!
Jeff

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  11:31:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Compton

There is actually some progress on the layout. I continue to get a little overwhelmed at times, not wanting to make too many mistakes which impedes the progress. I finally got to a point where I needed to get some roadbed down. As you can see, I am using the Woodland Scenics risers and roadbed. I hope to continue the progress along the back wall this week.

That is some nice progress going on there Jeff! Don't let yourself get overwhelmed, but do take the time to plan your track work and get it right, because there is nothing worse than have bad track and never enjoying the layout. Scenery and other stuff can get by with hit and miss, but once the track work is down and in working order, everything else will fall into place fast, and move right along. So you are moving with the right ideas, and at the right speed here. Nice job!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  3:02:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Louis! I have read enough posts on this forum to really understand your comment about getting the track work right. That's probably the biggest reason I am taking my time with this first step. I hope the Woodland Scenics risers will help with easy transitions between elevations. I also have the FastTracks sweepsticks which really help making smooth curves. With a trip coming up soon to the warmer climate of Florida, I won't be making much progress until April but I hope to get all the roadbed down by the end of April.
Jeff

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad Topic Next Topic: How many of you recognize this?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000