Railroad Line Forums - The grandson layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 The grandson layout
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rebuilding the CB&Q in Wyoming Topic Next Topic: Carrie Creek Land Co. construction series
Page: of 3

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  11:46:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in the process of building a new layout. My previous layout started about 25 years ago and was only about 25% completed when a flood sent all of it to the curb. Then as most of us have experienced, life happens as the kids got older and the time for starting another one was replaced by other things. Life changes, a new house and I now the time to work on a new layout. My youngest daughter has two sons with another on the way and as all young boys seem to be at this age, they love trains. So grandpa has decided to quit sitting around thinking about building a layout and to get up and start! An added incentive has been that my son-in-law's father had a layout when my son-in-law was young and he has fond memories of that layout. His dad has since passed away and I felt it was fitting to build this layout for his grandsons too. I'll try to post pictures in my next thread!

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  11:58:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the progress I have made in the train room in the last 5-6 months.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/Jeff Compton/20172611502_IMG_2005.JPG[/img}

This is the initial framing of the room.

This is my oldest grandson Malcolm inspecting his new train room.

Finished off with paint and carpet.

With the benchwork up. The benchwork is building sections so that it can be eventually taken down and moved.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  12:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent progress, Jeff. The room looks terrific, and I can't think of a better thing to do with your grandsons at this age.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  12:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the draft of the track plan that Rob Chant has designed for me. Rob has been doing some excellent design work for fellow Forum members in the Layout Design forum. I asked him if he would be willing to help me with a layout plan and he was kind enough to help me. This is one of a few areas that I really feel "out of my league" and I appreciate his help.

This is the space I have. The dimensions are accurate but the drawing is not to scale.

This is the draft of Rob's proposed layout.
He has included all the things I told him I would like to see in this layout. I am hoping some of you will give Rob and me a fresh set of eyes to point out any problems or concerns you might see with the design. Rob does an excellent job of editing his drawings. Since this is an area I don't have much expertise in, any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  12:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce.
This will be a long, slow process but I wanted to be able to use the amazing resources here on the Forum to help me with this journey. I lurk often but have rarely posted but I decided to dive into this project. The first thing my grandson does when he comes over is to head to his train room. You can see his Brio layout in the bottom left corner of the layout picture. Hopefully I can have some trackwork down and trains running by the end of this year for him and his brothers!
Jeff

David Clark
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  1:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, You have a lot of work ahead of you and it will be something your son-in-law and you can work on together - very cool. My only suggestion is that you might want to mask the bit of track running around the back end of the engine yard. A bit of view block or something so you don't see the loop so much.
Cheers,
Dave

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  1:38:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome work!

My childs layout had a road around the perimeter and he would race the train as they circled. Looks like fun!

Philip

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  2:49:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a perfect layout to me'..You have all the features necessary to have fun with the youngsters'...

Ted in South Western, Connecticut

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  3:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff great looking progress with the train room, and a good sized layout as well. You will have plenty of enjoyment with this layout and your grandchildren. It will be nice to follow your progress.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  3:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave, Philip and Ted.
Dave, that was one area I was concerned with since that loop will be descending down a grade. That might provide some type of view block from one side. It is also close to the turntable and still trying to picture in my mind what to do about that elevation difference.
Jeff

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  3:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Louis. That's exactly what I am hoping. Need to develop that next generation of model railroaders! It will be slow progress but I am hoping that this post will keep me motivated to press on!
Jeff

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  6:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Press on!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  9:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

Looks like you have a lot of fun ahead of you.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  11:07:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, your off to a great start! Great job finishing off the room to create a nice atmosphere to enjoy the hobby with your grandsons. And the layout design looks great as well. A little bit of everything to keep your interest.

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  09:59:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Following up on my comment in Rob Chant's Layout Design Help thread: It might be possible to reduce the grade of the loop
around the turntable by shortening and straightening the tunnel at the bottom. Instead of going under the upper main at
90 degrees and looping back, the descending track can stay closer to the edge of the benchwork. That way, it doesn't need
to pass below the upper tracks until almost to the road, gaining perhaps a foot to ease the grade.

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  10:12:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff & James,

James' suggestion is a great idea and does take care of the grade concerns around the turntable very nicely and also eliminates some hidden track:

Here's the edited version:

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

TREAD: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42599

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Rebuilding the CB&Q in Wyoming Topic Next Topic: Carrie Creek Land Co. construction series  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000