Railroad Line Forums - Rubbles Station kit mingle
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 Rubbles Station kit mingle
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HOn30 Topic Next Topic: HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge
Page: of 6

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  10:48:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work! What did you use for the escutcheons?

Philip

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  11:01:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I knew what the hell an "escutcheon" was.....

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  12:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The base of your railing.

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  12:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bases were simple round discs that I found in the jewelry making area at the craft store. There listed as Metal, but were actually nothing more than metal plated plastic. Having been lead to believe they were actually metal, I had hoped to solder them to the supports.

I simply used watch crystal glue available from Michaels, from the bead dept, called "GS hypo cement" (GS = Germanow-Simon, a Rochester NY manufacturer)

It has an incredible small needle like dispensing tube. (Putting the little needle stopper back in the tube can be a real bear if your hand shakes)

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/10/2017 4:00:19 PM

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  3:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice results!

Philip

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  5:36:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ODE TO RAFTERS: (with apologies to Dr Suess)

I hate rafters when they're tall.
I hate rafters when they're small.

I hate rafters when they're big.
I hate rafters using a jig.

I hate rafters after three beers.
I hate rafters, they bring on tears.

I hate rafters in the spring
I hate rafters more than anything thing.

I hate rafters in the fall.
I hate rafters, BURN THEM ALL!

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  6:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[i wish there was a 'like'button....

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  9:45:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't mean on to rain on your parade. But I just noticed there is no doorway to the deck. How are you going to address that? Or is it "purely ornamental"?

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  12:13:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So it would seem, because I've never posted a pic from the back side of the station.

The door is on the back side of the tower. I simply liked the symmetry of the windows stacked and aligned. The door has no window, so I thought those miniature people in the tower would rather look out the windows for the approaching train, or view the bay from up on the hill.

After all, it gets awfully cold on Lake Ontario in mid winter, and it can get awfully windy out on the deck.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/12/2017 12:28:30 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  10:36:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David,

I'm with you on the rafters.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

drmsparks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  10:38:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very well done. thanks for showing the bit with the jig, that gave me a few new ideas.

The railings and deck came out really neat.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  12:43:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a Amen on Rafters!
Loved the poem.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  9:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK here's an update. I've been working on the roof and the intended dormers. From some of the test photos so far, I came to the conclusion that the initial plan that I had, using a freight door on th left building was the better idea. The door was supposed to come with the original order but was not within the box. In my excitement to get started, I overlooked that point.

But my haste to get started is now overshadowed by the point my results are not really what I intended to create in the long run. Dr Ben has graciously agreed to send the door and one another thing, a new wall for the door.

In looking at the proportions of the building, If I simply add the wider door, it throws the proportions of door vs wall area askew. (in my opinion). So I'm going to lengthen the whole Freight building on the right side by splicing enough of the new wall in place. I'll simply cut the transom and header of the old wall on the right side of the door, and the new wall on the left. It will widen the cut out for the new freight door, but not sacrifice an wall width.

The back wall will also need to be widened to match. I can use the remaining half of the new wall to do that.

The other decision was to scrap the rafters made from cardstock, and manually recut them in 0.040 sheet plastic. From working on the roof dormer area, I have effectively tattered the cardstock to be useless. Additionally the cementing of like material, the plastic roof to plastic rafters will make a stronger and better integrated unit.

Live and learn.

Dave

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/26/2017 :  11:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new parts came in, the missing freight door and a spare "door: wall. Dr Ben was kind enough to sent both at no charge. Kudos to a good guy who is a positive part of this hobby/industry.

The new wall was cut to fit. I used half with the door frame on the front to expand the opening for the freight door. The balance of the new wall was used to lengthen the rear wall to match. Additionally , as previously stated I am not using the card stock rafters any where inside the buildings, I decided it will be more solid structurally (less spindly) to use plastic sheet instead. Since the roof is Evergreen ribbed roofing, it will be easier to glue the pieces together.

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/02/2017 :  10:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update with pictures.
Both front and rear walls have been resized. I broke the narrow area above the door on the old wall where the rafter notch is. To repair it, I drilled a hole though the broken off part and into both the old and new wall sections. I inserted a wire through the hole to essentially pin the pieces together.

Overall, I was kind of stupid for not following through with the freight door to stay within my original plan. I was in a hurry to get something done and get posting here, As such, it is a lesson learned. Now to the pictures.

In the above picture, you can visualize how I stretched the building by cutting the new wall on the left side of the lintel, the other old wall at the right side. It allowed the size of the building to expand, rather than keeping the initial size the same and simply cut the opening for the door wider. To me, it would have thrown off the proportion of the building making making the wall seem to be "all door" To me it rendered the structure less desirable from a prototypical standpoint, all door, no storage room behind it..

The second photo shows one of the rafter units that I am hand cutting, using the original card stock piece as pattern.

I simply decided that with all the handling the building requires, particularly as I fit the dormers onto the custom roof, the card stock is simply not capable of taking all the whacks I end up giving it during the construction phase. Had I built "stock" items. I would have been fine, but the all the fiddling I am doing, it takes too much of a beating

I have no intend of detailing the interior for contest purposes, and it will be far enough back on the layout where viewing such detail through windows would not be possible anyway.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/02/2017 10:39:40 AM

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: HOn30 Topic Next Topic: HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000