Railroad Line Forums - Rubbles Station kit mingle
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: SanderR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 Rubbles Station kit mingle
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HOn30 Topic Next Topic: 2017 small layout meet
Page: of 6

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  3:38:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dried out the coffee stir sticks this morning, and applied them onto the base. Recall from one of the earlier pics, that due to their relative bases, the respective buildings were not lined up for a common roof line to occur. By covering the entire base with planking, the buildings can be aligned easily.

The round base of the tower on the right is the centerpoint for alignment of the buildings.

Here's a quick follow up pic of the components thus far. the background is a calendar from 1992 that I kept for "Food for Thought" It's bit blurred but you'll get the idea.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/23/2017 3:46:36 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  7:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David,

Nice looking stonework; it has a lot of character. I like what you did with the platform.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  11:43:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing I didn't count on was the planking still being swollen from the staining process. It has shrunk somewhat leaving sight gaps between the boards.

Here's the planking over a round base. I was "very particular" about accurate sizing of the deck. So I walked over to the shelves in the basement where we store food, and grabbed a can of Campbells Tomato soup. I attempted to use the chicken noodle soup can but my wife wasn't feeling well, and took it. The peanut butter jar was too big. The hole is for the lamp wiring.

I worked on the observation deck today, and I will need some help from you guys as to how make a railing, and what to make it out of. I was thinking of some commercially made plastic railing, warm it up ans rubber band it around the Campbells soup can. Any other ideas out there. Yes, I can solder,

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/25/2017 5:24:09 PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2017 :  08:43:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David, how would an ornate iron railing look there? There are a lot of different styles of photo etched fences that could be cut to the right height.

Atlas has a plastic fence Hairpin Style Fence in both HO (#774) and N scale (#2850. that looks good. The N scale might work as is or perhaps the HO with a bit of modification
http://www.atlasrr.com/Trackmisc/hairpinfence.htm

Model Power has a simpler one
https://www.amazon.com/Model-Power-Scale-Black-Fences/dp/B0006O22C4

Vectorcut has some railings and other trim that might work. Also has some really cool HO weathervanes including a steam engine that would look good on the peak of the tower roof :)

Vollmer has an interesting one in HO (#45007) that looks like it could be shortened.http://www.hobbylinc.com/vollmer-iron-fence-black-ho-scale-model-railroad-building-accessory-45007

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/25/2017 :  10:06:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill. Never saw the Atlas fence before. I always thought of Atlas as being on the lowers spectrum of detail. Looks like times change Times change.

Anyone know the height (in inches) of the Atlas HO vs N fencing. I didn't see any data on it.

I'll check out the Vector Cut, Grandt Line and Tichy offerings as well.
Any other suggestions and/or ideas are gladly welcomed.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/26/2017 2:39:18 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2017 :  3:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, the calendar was a good save, I like it for “food”. It’s looking good, well better than good. I would think the Model Power one would be a bit "clunkyish".

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  2:40:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ill take more ideas on the tower railing if they are out there.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  5:44:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Model, if you want a set of really good plastic railings, check out Central Valley's railing set.

southpier
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  7:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Scale_1_87___HO____Echelle_1_87__HO___________.html

drmsparks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  7:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work! Keep it up! I've got a rubbles reissue in O and am following this carefully...

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  9:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drmsparks

I've got a Rubbles reissue in O and am following this carefully...

Keep in mind you are carefully following someone who doesn't follow instructions or use a map.

I had some Grangt line railing that I warmed and tried to bend around a can. It distorted badly on two attempts. I've ordered some of the TICHY pipe railing as shown in this link.

https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/tabid/91/c/ho_structure-parts/p/8276-pipe-railing/Default.aspx

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/26/2017 10:25:19 PM

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  4:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While digging in my parts boxes for something else, I stumbled across some cast metal railings. Most likely they are from an old Keystone company houses kit, that was never built.
The box and wood were damaged when it was stored under a leaking sink pipe. I had kept the castings. The castings were fairly easy to shape with a "half round pliers. They might be a possibility for the tower railing. I'm waiting for the others railing set that was ordered.

In the meantime, Here' a quick photo of the Rubbles Station kit mingle near where it will eventually be installed. Helps visualize things to proportion.As always, your ideas or comments, specific or generalized are most welcome.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/01/2017 9:37:01 PM

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/03/2017 :  08:59:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Tichy Railing came in yesterday. After work I played with it a bit. Looks like we have a winner. Whatever grey Plstic was used, it is very flexible, and easily wraps around the curve needed for the tower railing pics to follow.

I noticed the round observation base has warped over time though, like a horse saddle or "Pringle" chip. So I'm adding another level under it to see if that helps. May need to use a a three ply plywood instead of a single ply with decking.

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/03/2017 :  9:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to consider using the scale equivilant of 4 X 4s crossways and see if that helps.

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  07:06:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny you should mention that. I wa thinking a real deck woldn't stick out in the air without some kind of bracing or support.

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: HOn30 Topic Next Topic: 2017 small layout meet  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000