Railroad Line Forums - Rubbles Station kit mingle
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: PMStrains ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 Rubbles Station kit mingle
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The St. George Railroad (HOn30) Topic Next Topic: Building the HOn3 Maverick Canyon Branch
Page: of 6

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  08:52:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks for asking. quoted from my first post:

"I stumbled across a few photos of old Scale Model Miniatures (SMM) kits specifically, the Rubbles Station and Stone Station...The SMM kits are now marketed by DR Ben's Scale Consortium (www.debenllc.com)"

Other people mentioned other sources for the kits. I cannot say if those roof lines are identical. In some cases, I know the towers were not hollow. I can only speak of the refurbished SMM castings by DR BEN as having the details I've previously mentioned, Thanks for asking.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 01/27/2017 01:02:03 AM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  09:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David, Thanks for the clarification, should someone wish to do something similar one day.
Rich

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  8:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In seeing your photoshopped version, might I suggest adding dormers or something to the roof? The roof line looks plain. Maybe even a chimney or two would help. I do like where your going. The idea of having tracks go between the buildings is a tempting idea, but I agree that it won't work. It would call for an arch I think, but I don't think that would look right either. Maybe an A-frame with some craftsman-style supports would add the character to the roof line that I'm speaking of.

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  8:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Railrunner, thanks for the encouragement. I'd agree that is a very long, mundane roof line as pasted together. I could see a dormer on each building breaking up the space and adding some additional character.

Got confirmation of shipment today

Dave.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 01/23/2017 8:24:56 PM

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  9:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got my box today from Dr Ben's, with my two kits and spare parts. First I'll give Kudos to the fact that not only were the kits and parts cushioned within the bigger box, but each casting within the kits was carefully wrapped as well. I'm impressed with the care taking to make sure it all got to my door in one piece.

Rich Bendever (Dr Ben) additionally sent some "oops" castings, one of which was a spare lower tower barrel. It has a door and two window openings. Looks like my tower just got a third floor with an observation deck.

The end wall castings of both buildings apparently use a similar, but not quite the same mold, so matching heights and angles will need to be watched carefully, Seems like the stone depot was imbedded below the deck line, where as the Rubbles station sits on top of the decking. Should be simple to re-deck the whole structure evenly, and sand the stone depot to match the station wall height

I'll post pics soon.

Dave

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 01/27/2017 01:07:36 AM

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  7:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to hear that Rich sent some "extras". That's something that I find awesome about small manufacturers in the model railroad biz- they're willing to help wherever possible.

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/28/2017 :  11:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As promised some pics of the Rubbles kit mingle project. I'll start with a pic of how well the kits were packed. I'm pleased that my investment was protected on it's 1:1 scale journey so that it arrived safely.

Now for it's transformation on the North Coast Railroad.

Hers the basic components before modding and mingling them together

You can see the bases were not quite the same size, nor are the buildings aligned on their respective bases.

Here's the first cut marking on the old stone depot base. I'm removing the stone work and intend to swing it around. It's too nice to bury.

After cutting it will reside where it's highly visible on the trackside of the station. You can see where I've also cut off the stone depot base (left base) so that it will not interfere with positioning of the two buildings to be in line. The tower must stay where it is, so the stone depot will be matched to it.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 01/28/2017 11:44:30 PM

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  11:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a few days since I last posted. Progress has been slow, working overtime to pay for model railroad stuff, and the Superbowl has slowed me down. And some times I'm just too damn tires to start anything when I get home.

A few years ago, I bought a box of Dental stone, As this is what I filled the platform gap with. With the extra mix, I filled a mold for stone castings. I;ll need to carve stone lines into the back ramp area, and prime the whole thing. I'll post a few more pics soon.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/08/2017 7:26:12 PM

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  05:27:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, David.

I've never done a plaster building (all my brick/stonework has been carved in balsa foam). I must try one sometime.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  3:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David, A neat visualization of the kits to come up with your co-mingling plan. Looking good.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  6:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David,

This is a neat project. Any progress is good and it does not have to be at the speed of light.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  12:17:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's few pics of the progress to date on THe Rubbles kit mingle.

I started with spraying Rustoleum grey primer after removing the flash and sanding the edges square. The first pics shows the stages of painting as it went along from primer. basic colors, and thinned white paint and black alcohol washes.

Second photo gives a little more of an overall shot of how the pieces look together.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/25/2017 12:23:52 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  2:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  2:45:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice, David.

Chuck

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  11:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being satisfied with the coloration the castings, I've moved on to other portions of construction now. The next step was fitting in the windows and doors. Both the injected pieces and Dental stone castings needed slight modification

You can see in this first photo where I needed to remove all the "nubs" protruding from the window castings, both top and bottom.

Then windows and doors needed fitting into the castings. I will assume it was with intentional foresight that all the holes are slightly small, rather than too big.

This second pic now shows a few of the windows an doors glued in place, after "Glass" was added to the back of the injected windows.

Additionally, Tonight I cut wooden decking from coffee stir sticks, and dropped with into a flat tray filled with alcohol, a little water and lots black ink. I will let them suck up color overnight.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/03/2017 08:49:39 AM

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: The St. George Railroad (HOn30) Topic Next Topic: Building the HOn3 Maverick Canyon Branch  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000