Railroad Line Forums - Rubbles Station kit mingle
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: buc45 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 Rubbles Station kit mingle
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The St. George Railroad (HOn30) Topic Next Topic: Building the HOn3 Maverick Canyon Branch
Page: of 6

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  10:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For quite some time, I've been trying to come up some some ideas fro a railroad station "in town" for the North Coast Railroad. I'd been thinking of something with a tower of some sort, but always had a fondness for the FSM kit #235 Small Town Station.
I stumbled across a few photos of old Scale Model Miniatures (SMM) kits specifically, the Rubbles Station and Stone Station, thinking "Damn, I wish I could Kit mingle those two under one roof!"

The SMM kits are now marketed by DR Ben's Scale Consortium (www.debenllc.com) I've been playing Email tag with the owner, Rich Bendever about the idea.
Through Rich, I discovered the roof angles of both structures are the same, and both kits share the same roof trusses as well. NICE!

So, along with a few spare parts to add a few features not part of the standard kits, we struck a deal tonight. and my kits are on the way. CANT WAIT !

So this will be my construction thread for the combination station featuring both kits under one copper ribbed roof.

Wish me luck!

Dave Buchholz, Rochester NY

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  10:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David,
This sounds like an interesting build. I will be watching your progress.
Rich

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  10:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By clicking on the links, you'll see the similarities in the roof lines that led me to the idea.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f8/1a/09/f81a095b9d22fce717b3820c08e29c2a.jpg

http://www.debenllc.com/catalog/TAY108.jpg

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  11:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
So are you mingling the FSM kit with one DR Ben's kits? Or the two Yorke kits together? I'm not understanding what you plan if you plan to use the two Yorke kits together, as they are similar.
Rich

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  09:06:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using the two SMM (Yorke) kits. The layout of the SMM kits will be patterned after the FSM kit in the sense that there are two separate buildings connected by a common roof over a covered platform. Like the FSM kit, MY covered roof will extend across all three sections, but in my case it will be a patina'd copper ribbed roof

Looking from the tracks,The towered Rubbles Depot depot will be to the right, the Stone Depot to the left, with the covered platform in between, Maybe a little more large crate storage further left if space allows..

Evergreen plastics makes a suitable sheet for ribbed rooflines.

I'm getting extra trusses for the covered platform area from Dr Ben so that the covered platform will match the structures.

Dave

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/25/2017 12:17:10 AM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  10:54:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting! Sounds nice.
Rich

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  6:40:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting! I look forward to seeing this develop.

I have both kits in stock, although my Stone Station is a Fallberg Station. I also have a Marbles Depot, which is similar to Rubbles and currently available from BEST.

My intention was to build a two-story depot into a hill so that Rubbles was at the top and cobble together Fallberg as a lower level. That will require a ton of hydrocal stonework, which I fear may be beyond my talents.

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/21/2017 :  05:53:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a cool project! I can't wait to see the results.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2017 :  09:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Do you have a "sketch" or plan made up yet for the build? I would like to see what you are planning.

Rich

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/21/2017 :  10:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a crude cut and paste version, but I think it gets the basic idea across fairly well. Let me know what you think.

Download Attachment: rubbles depot jpg.jpg
73.23 KB

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 01/21/2017 10:49:53 PM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  12:33:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David,

Thanks for posting your picture...Well, it looks ok to me. For a diversion, I would try to cut out the middle portion of the loading dock and run a track through there, to pick up and drop off passingers, but that's me, maybe...
Rich

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  08:38:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By virtue of where it's going. the track will need to be parallel to the station.

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  09:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Great looking design. I like it. Maybe tone down the green roof a bit...

Bob

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  10:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. Great concept.

- Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  9:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all for the comments and ideas.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  11:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to your actual build Dave'..:looks like an interesting
combination of unique Thomas Yorke structures'..

Ted

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: The St. George Railroad (HOn30) Topic Next Topic: Building the HOn3 Maverick Canyon Branch  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000