Railroad Line Forums - Foreground Building Flats
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 55 ]  [ Total: 59 ]  [ Newest Member: hardcoalcase ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Foreground Building Flats
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Interaction Enterprises CPR #2 toolhouse Topic Next Topic: Rapido Switch Stands
Page: of 4

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2017 :  8:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a town on the club layout that has a track running down the middle of the main street. The street runs near the edge of the layout with buildings behind it. Our club president suggested we make a set of building silhouettes along the viewing isle so people could view the scene through windows. I remembered seeing several buildings in model railroad magazines in similar settings where they had detailed interiors and suggested we detail the building interiors and exteriors. Guess who picked up the project? It's taken much longer than I expected for a variety of reasons including not having any deadline to meet.

George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2017 :  8:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first thing I did was make a mockup of what I planned to do using card stock. I made a series of CAD drawings and then printed them out on paper the thickness of a 3x5 index card. The pieces were cut out and glued together. This was done for my planning and for selling the idea to the club. The plans were later used for building the structures.

Here's what the mockup looks like from the viewing isle:

From the layout side.

The only way anyone can see the building fronts is to lean over the Plexiglas or, from a camera on a passing train, which is becoming more popular. This meant the fronts had to be detailed too.

This is the effect we want to get:

I've completed eight of the foreground flats. I took them to the layout the other day to figure out the how much remaining space I had to fill. Here's a series of pictures of how they will fit in the scene (left to right):

The interior walls and floors are finished, but details like tables, chairs and people need to be added

Here's a series of pictures of the exterior side of buildings.

George

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2017 :  8:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very interesting project, George. I like the view through the windows.

Chuck

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2017 :  9:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, that looks very cool!
Talk about your rooms with a view... out of both sides of the rooms.
Bet that's going to get a lot of interest & comments.

Greg Shinnie

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2017 :  9:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow George, that is fantastic looking already. You are doing a great job with this one.
I've always thought of a structure like these for somewhere on my layout.
Ever since I saw Postalkarl Callahan's See Through Garage Build; http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33229&whichpage=1

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  07:25:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a superb effort George!

I had this idea for my N scale layout, but the scale is too small for it to really work effectively.

It's nice to see the idea put into practice!

If you need it, Kibri make a few sets of cheap plastic furniture that show up on eBay and the like every so often. :)

-Dan

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  08:41:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the nice comments, guys. Dan, I do need furniture and will keep my eye out for the Kibri stuff.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  09:01:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A nice idea that is well executed, George.

A few years back I visited George at the club and he let me run some trains that I brought along. Here is a shot of my RS-1 running down that street. This was when we had a car interchange going, so I believe that the Pogo car was from Karl.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  4:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bruce. Your picture is of the area I'm working, but the buildings have been changed since you took the picture. For what it's worth the town's name is Widen.

Here are some pictures I took while constructing the buildings.

On most of the buildings the exterior and interior walls, the floors and roofs are all a Taskboard core, covered with with a layer of cardstock or brick sheeting.

This building has a cardstock exterior. I downloaded pictures of brick and stone walls from the internet and made them the background layer on a CAD drawing. It's hard to see the window and door opening lines in the picture, but I was able to see them for cutting. I've started cutting out the windows on the brick wall in this picture.

The cardstock was glued to Taskboard for strength and the window and door openings in the Taskboard were then cut out and the edges trimmed off.

I cut strips of the printed brick paper to add layers of brick.

When working with cardstock the white edges have to be colored. I used barn red craft paint. The match isn't an exact match, but being on and edge, it's close enough. I held the printed surface away from me so brush slips would end up on the back side of the strip. You can see the brush marks on the back.

I don't know what those horizontal strips of bricks are called.

George

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  5:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, Great looking structures. I think they may call that horizontal trim'...

Ted

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  12:41:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done George. I'm planning on doing something similar on my layout and have seen that done on other layouts as well.

Mark

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  08:13:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mark and Tim.

Tim, I thought there'd be a real technical sounding term for the horizontal trim.

George

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  08:14:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's really neat. Nice job.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  4:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a great idea George, and you did a fantastic job with it. I had always thought about doing a machine shop or something, cut in half and laying at the edge like this, gives one a chance to really go all out on the interior detail without having to hide it with a roof.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  4:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jerry.

Tony, as you know, I'm going to have to add a lot of interior detail to make it look right. It's going to be a challenge to come up with the variety of details needed.

George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  5:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used a different material on this building. I had some old sheets of Holgate and Reynolds brick that I wanted to get rid of, so it was used here. I fastened the plans to the back of the brick sheet with double faced tape. The window corners were punched out with a corner tool I've had for many years and don't know where I got it. I had to cut the lines between the corner cuts with my scalpel and a steel ruler.

The sheets were too short to do the building in a single sheet. This picture shows the windows cut out of the top story. This brick sheeting was glued to Taskboard with contact cement.

This is the finished building front. I changed the design of the first floor in the middle of the build.

George

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Interaction Enterprises CPR #2 toolhouse Topic Next Topic: Rapido Switch Stands  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000