Railroad Line Forums - The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 131 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: What to do with it all
Page: of 27

friscomike
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  10:24:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy,

It's looking terrific. I do like the technique you used on the backdrop. It is convincing.

Have fun,
Mike

Okie logging camp diner (http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50236) and Okie logging camp kitchen: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47400&whichpage=1

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  1:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Dave,

You’re a brave man painting individual trees. Yes, they look better. A veritable jungle. Nicely done.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I actually didn't paint individual trees. I just dabbed my 1.5" brush, making bushes/trees starting with a darker green and adding yellow for highlights. Then I painted some tree trunks in the dark areas to push the lighter stuff closer to the front. I'm glad the effect worked!
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  10:59:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last year I collected some leaves with the idea that I would crush them down for ground cover but my scenery progress was slower than I anticipated. I finally found a cheap blender that I could use to grind up the leaves and went to town on the Tote I had full of leaves.
This is what I started with.

A blender full of leaves

The storage bag starting to fill up

Here is what I ended up with!

I found that shaking the blender around while it was "whizzing" helped to grind up the leaves faster. I still haven't gotten around to sifting the pile. That will come in the near future.
Cheers,
Dave

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  11:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I learned that when painting my backdrop to watch out for symmetric even spacing of elements. Random chaos is better.

In the picture with the red building there is a regularity to the trees that you might want to consider breaking up. Just a suggestion not a criticism.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 11/29/2018 11:10:16 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  08:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David, my buddies and I have wrecked more blenders and food processors than you can shake a stick at. One of my favorite places to buy them is at the Salvation Army thrift store. We even process small sticks and stones, remember they won't hurt you.

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  09:01:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea! My wife would be irritated

Philip

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  09:45:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip.
I've got lots of leaves and an old blender.

As you think, so will you be.

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  1:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David J Buchholz

In the picture with the red building there is a regularity to the trees that you might want to consider breaking up. Just a suggestion not a criticism.

Dang. I never noticed that but now that you've mentioned it, it's all I can see .
I'm hoping that when I put some foliage, etc in front, it won't be so noticeable.
Thanks for looking in.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  1:07:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philip, don't use your wife's blender! I bought mine off Facebook Market place. Local guy - $15.
Frank, I was going to check out a thrift store but was too lazy to shopping. I met the guy selling this on the way home from work. Did the transaction at Starbucks.
Do you you "cook" yours before applying? I've heard that people do that to kill any living things that might be in the leaves. Not brave enough to stick organic material in our oven yet.
Cheers,
Dave

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  5:38:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
I bought a used microwave to nuke stuff. That will kill the bugs but be careful as they could catch on fire. I also use the microwave to dry stained wood to speed up the process. 30 - 40 seconds, no more.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Page: of 27 Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: What to do with it all  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000