Railroad Line Forums - The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 132 ]  [ Total: 136 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: What to do with it all
Page: of 27

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  1:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,
Good job indeed, structure looks great properly lighted.
Thanx Thom...

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  4:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frank, Mike, and Thom! It's always nice to have the experts give a thumb's up. I will try get better pictures. I am also starting to realize that my backdrop might need to be painted higher up and my "rock formation" behind the wharf should be higher as well. Something for a two-handed man to deal with.....
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2018 :  12:19:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No better pictures to show but I did have a bit of a milestone achieved. I have two locos, bought second hand, programmed to the same address and I couldn't change it. I finally managed to change the 4-4-0 to a different address but I still can't change anything on the Forney. Anyhow, the milestone is that I was able to operate both locos independently and had one drop off a cut of boxcars for the second one to pick up!!
Cheers,
Dave

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2018 :  04:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lights look real good and congrats on being able to operate both locos independently.

As you think, so will you be.

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2018 :  10:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's not much I can do with only one working arm so I thought I would catalogue my paint. Between all the different brands there ate quite a few that are similar and now I know what I have.
If I were really keen I would do up a matrix wit all the colours down one side and across the top and show colours are arrived at when mixing them all. I would need to be a lot more bored than I was.
Cheers,
Dave

Not sure why the pic ended up upside down

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2018 :  11:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried my hand at weathering some rail. I followed the video from Trackside scenery from Joey Ricard, but it didn't work out quite the same.
I painted the track with Rustoleum Camo Brown after I installed it. Joey's recipe called for a black undercoat.
Then I found a base colour for the ties. He recommending going lighter and letting the weathering darken it. Here is the first coat on the ties. I used Vallejo's Iraqi Sand and Dark Sand.
Here is the base-coated track - apologies for orientation.

This is after painting the ties a sand colour.

Here I've "painted" the rail sides with a mix of rusty brown and black chalks wetted with alcohol to make a slurry.

I went back over the ties to touch them up and then added dry black chalk to the ties. I hoped the ties would have come out grayer but I'm not sure how to get the chalk to stick better. The last picture shows the original colour on the left and the "coloured" version on the right.

Comments and suggestions welcome.
Cheers,
Dave

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/05/2018 :  08:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David, I also use the Camo Earth Brown. All I do is dry brush the ties with a tan and a light gray. Then on HO rail I brush on Rust in a hit and miss stroke so it's not perfect. And on Fn3 (code 250) rail I airbrush the rust on.

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/05/2018 :  09:49:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, so you dry brush the tan over the brown ties? When you say "rust" you mean paint?
Thanks for you input.
Cheers,
dave

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2018 :  12:19:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It's been a while since I have been able to get to the train room. I got some hardcover over the cardboard webbing scenery. I used a mixture of blown-in paper insulation and plaster of paris. It seems to harden up pretty good but I had to mix it in small batches otherwise it hardened up too quickly.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2018 :  12:32:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had cut and scribed some sheets of aluminum pans from Chinese food take out tins to make corrugated sheet metal a while ago. I have been too chicken to try and weather them. The day would come when it would need to be done. Now was that day!
I stuck the panels on to some green painting tape and sprayed them with matte clear coat. Then I gave them a watered down coat of light grey - just enough to remove the remaining shininess.

Once they had dried, I dabbed some rust powders on the sheets. I started with a brown, followed by a dark rust, medium rust, and light rust.

I finished off by applying some MIG pigment fixer.
I notice that the pictures look a little lighter than they do in real life. Any comments welcome.
Cheers,
Dave

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2018 :  12:37:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave the colors look good.

I think all you need to do is brush them out to make the flow go from the top to the bottom.

On the track take a look at Dave Emery Model Railroad Construction
SL&N construction Page 11 that might help you to.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Edited by - TRAINS1941 on 10/09/2018 12:42:41 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2018 :  08:05:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

The sand color is good for representing a new wood color so yes, I would say you need to darken the ties. Maybe thinned gray and brown paints, randomly applied to the ties.

I agree with Jerry on the rusty panels.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 10/10/2018 :  4:12:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry and Mike, thanks for looking in. I have since coloured the ties darker but there still isn't much in the way of definition of wood grain on them. I don't think I will worry about it however. I'm hoping that they will just be part of the bigger picture when it's all done. I tried adding some darker rust to the lower edges of the sheets but I don't know if it helped. I almost want to go in with light coats of watered-down paint and tint the panels a bit. That will likely wash away the chalks but might end up with a nicer look.
I will take a look a Mr Emery's achievements. I had a seen a picture of someone's recent weathering of some steel roof panels but do you think I can find it again....aaargh!
Cheers,
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/10/2018 :  7:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Thereís a good example of rusty corrugated sheets on this page: http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44328&whichpage=29&SearchTerms=Challenge

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  1:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh. Mike, those look good. Thanks
Cheers,
Dave

Page: of 27 Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: What to do with it all  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000