Railroad Line Forums - The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 126 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: What to do with it all
Page: of 27

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2018 :  01:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally got some time to do a little modelling. I re-sized a portion of the building with the overhang on the dock. The extension was looking a little shallow - like the LPs might be banging their heads on the roof rafters. I got the front of the main building sided. It is supposed to be weathered wood, using painted paper. I had cut the strips some time ago and now I finally got to use them. Build some Rusty Stumps windows - I think I am finally starting to figure out how they are supposed to go together. I have some smaller casement windows 24"x30" that need frames. Will have to build a small jig for that - trying to get thin wood to stick together without seems a horrible task. I decided to set back the windows and door a bit in their frames this time and it seems to make for a better look.
Anyway, comments, suggestions and what have you, welcome.
Cheers,
Dave

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2018 :  09:33:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The windows look fine.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2018 :  10:17:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What Jerry said!

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2018 :  12:02:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jerry and Carl. This will be definitely be a "good from far, far from good" building. Too bad it is sitting right in front! LOL. I have to keep telling myself I am still learning and figuring out techniques.
Cheers,
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2018 :  2:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David,

I agree with Jerry and Carl that your windows look fine. I will go ahead and comment that although I have used some of the Rusty Stump windows, and liked them, I do think the trim board under the windowsill should be longer so that its ends line up vertically with the outside edges of the vertical trim pieces. When I use the windows in the future I will replace them with stripwood of the "right" length.

I'll add that if you look at older structures this trim piece is often not present at all, so you could leave them off. When I use castings I usually cut this trim off for historic accuracy. Of course for modelers this trim is useful to cover any unevenness in cutting out the window opening.

Nice job overall. I think your building will look very good whether foreground or background.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2018 :  2:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike. So, I'm not crazy thinking that the lower piece was too short. I do need that "mistake masker" LOL.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  3:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the second building pinned together for a test fit and "check". Here it is in its place on the dock. The roof on the "Chant's" isn't glued down yet - I have to cut out a chunk to allow it to fit up against the new one. The new building will be a chandler. Still needs signs and finishings. In the nook at the front, will be stairs leading down to the floor and some kind of roof over top to give shelter - maybe corrugated steel. My original plan called for the siding to be board and batten on the main structure with horizontal siding on the extension - but I forgot until half-way through ...

On the backside the two buildings will share a loading dock that wraps around to the front of "Chant's". I need to put a loading door on the bit sticking out still. I also thought there should be a loading door on the extension at ground level (where the truck is) but am undecided as to whether to make it ground level or higher. There is no way to back a truck in that space so having something high up doesn't make sense. For a sign, I thought I would put a bill board type one on the roof of the ell.

Another decision I need help on is the supporting post and beam at the end of the ell. An 8x8 seems sufficient but a 12x12 is beefier and might lend more weight to the end. The stained short piece by the truck is 12x12 and the lighter, longer piece is 8x8. Any thoughts? As always, I value your input and wisdom.
Cheers,
Dave

Edited by - David Clark on 03/26/2018 3:14:50 PM

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  7:09:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Dave.
The overhang above the truck could be cantilevered! They often did that on older less stable sites. Also could be less substancial timber with a number of supports giving a more 'fragile' look.

A comment/question. I see you have some track imbedded in the dock. How do you clean that track? I did the same and found that cleaning the track was a real PITA.

bruce

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  7:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

The best way to answer your question about 8x8 versus 12x12 would be a photo of an actual building or data. My wife and I own a 159 yr old post and beam house. The posts are not even 8x8 and the house has not fallen down. Diagonal braces provide stability.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  7:27:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, I think that is an awful lot of cantilever. I will need something to support it. I hadn't considered the cleaning although the track is slightly raised above the decking I think I can use a Q-tip on it. Thanks for the observation.
Mike, I agree with you. I don't want to go too skinny-looking though and I think I will use the 8x8 with cross-bracing, mostly because I have it on hand.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  8:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On another note, I think the building is too brown but other than completely repainting it I guess I will have to live with it. That brings in to question a colour for the roof. Green roofing felts? Grey shingles? The business still needs a name.......
Cheers,
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  9:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
8 by 8 sounds right.

Mike

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  10:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2018 :  12:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been stuck because I've been unhappy with the colour of the siding. Last night I decided to daub grey paint on it to tone it down and make it look like the weathered wood showing through more. I also peeled off the Rusty Stumps window trim off and glued on scale 1x5 instead. Overall I think it looks better. Now I can go ahead and put some signs up, and glue the walls together. I think I will make the doors green to add some colour.
I am debating adding lighting which will mean drilling down through the dock so the wires can go somewhere to get power.

Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  12:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a little more work done on the chandlery. I applied some signs by printing them out on a regular piece of paper, and gluing the back with Aleen's tacky glue, which made the paper pretty soft enabling me to make it conform to the siding. I sprayed the insides of the windows with Testor's matte varnish. I still have to put the rear loading door in (under the yellow sign) then I can finish assembling the building.
Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
Dave

I used machinist's blocks to hold the walls plumb while the glue set and I cut some corner braces from left over foam core to stiffen the corners.

This will be the little bump out in the front of the building.

This is the cantilevered bit (actually supported by scale 8x8s).

Page: of 27 Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: What to do with it all  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000