Railroad Line Forums - The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 129 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: What to do with it all
Page: of 27

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2018 :  7:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terrell, thanks for the picture, that is what I should have done. I guess I can re-cut the walls to make them longer so that they overlap the exposed edge.
Better now than after I had applied the siding!
Cheers,
Dave

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2018 :  7:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi David,
I usually cut the front and back foam board to building width. I cut the side foam board 3/8" short and butt between front and back.
The front and back siding is cut to foam board size. The side siding is cut 3/8" longer than the foam board side and overlaps 3/16" on each end.
This makes a completely sided joint (no exposed foam board) that the edge trim covers nicely.

Dave

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2018 :  11:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, thanks for that. I will try that - it is the least amount of work compared to re-making half my walls. May I ask how wide your corner strips are? It looks as though you fold them at the corner. I will try to post some progress tonight.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2018 :  12:58:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So my modelling got side-tracked so no progress tonight. I was going to make my openings for the windows but I am unsure how to proceed. I am using Rusty Stumps' windows and doors but I see that there are no casings and the doors have no thresholds. Should I be installing a casing for the windows to fit inside the foam core and slide the window inside it (or build the window, surround it with casing and slide it into the opening?) I guess I will have to put my own trim around the windows and doors - 1x4? Door threshold - 2x6?
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Dave

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2018 :  08:53:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David,
On 1:29 I use 3/8" folded in half for corner trim (Pennman Building shown above). In O scale I use 3/16" paper trim folded in half.
I use Rusty Stump windows, paint first, apply glazing then overlap the sashes (optional) and glue a 1/16" casing around the perimeter. Most of the casing is hidden by the wall trim. After windows are made I measure casing height and width and cut the wall openings a tad bigger. Makes installation easy.
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2018 :  09:22:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This interchange is like reading letters between Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci: old masters trading techniques.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2018 :  12:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

This interchange is like reading letters between Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci: old masters trading techniques.

Mike

.... I be Spongebob, just soaking everything in. This forum is amazing in the amount of information out there and the help that everyone is willing to give it out. It's like having mentors on your computer.
Dave, thanks for that info. I suspected as much but getting the info takes some of the "error" out of the "trial".
OK so my next step is actually painting windows, then assembling, then cutting openings. So it looks like siding is off the agenda for a bit.
Thanks for checking in!
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  11:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a busy weekend at the Motorcycle Show, I spent most of Monday working on my first waterfront building. It will be warehouse of some sort. I used Rusty Stumps windows for the first time. I built a jig to make frames to house the windows before inserting them into the openings. I think they worked out OK. I painted the windows and doors a grey then stippled them with some blue.

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  11:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used the grey/white strips for siding. I laid down some pencil lines to keep the siding straight but had a tough time seeing them through the double-sided tape, so I ended up eye-balling it. I got some 3M double-sided tape as I understand it to be the bee's knees for this sort of thing. I burnished the siding down with the back end of my x-Acto knife handle. I extended the siding on the ends of the building side to cover the overlap from the foam core. I still need to add the window and door framing. I will also find some signs, etc. to put on the sides of the building for some colour.
I haven't decided on a roof yet.

Any comments or advice is welcome.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  12:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starting to think that my proportions are off. Windows ended up being bigger than I originally planned and my casing around the doors is wider that it should be. The stuff that came with the windows is really skinny! I committed the error of doing the front-facing side first. I may have to reverse the front and back wall (which is virtually invisible) That will leave me without a man-door on the front but will give me more space for a building sign. I was going to call it "Chant's Import-Export" in recognition of the help he's provided in getting me this far, but it will in no way be a measure of that help.
I don't think I can peel off the door trims since they are paper and glued on with white glue. Maybe this will just get written off as an experiment.
For what it's worth, here's where I am so far. I apologize for the lighting - I just grabbed some shots as I was leaving the house this morning.
Cheers,
Dave

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  1:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the tribute, I am quite honoured by the gesture.

Take care,
Rob.

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  5:59:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave stain both sides at the same time. That should counter any warping.

bruce

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  7:41:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brucet

Dave stain both sides at the same time. That should counter any warping.

bruce

Now I'm sad...I didn't realize there was warping!
I am hoping it is just the lighting because there isn't any wood to speak of. It's paper strips over foam core sheet.
Thanks for looking, though.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  7:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robchant

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the tribute, I am quite honoured by the gesture.

Take care,
Rob.

LOL. You're welcome but wait 'til it's done. You may ask to have it re-named.
Cheers,
Dave

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  8:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave I use a lot of wood and cardboard/paper. Anytime you coat just one side you will get some kind of warping. Best way to counter it is coating both sides.
Keep in mind I live in a subtropical climate where humidity can often be 99.99%. So my warping may be more extreme.

But a bit of warping also adds character. So I don't stress over it.

bruce

Page: of 27 Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: What to do with it all  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000