Railroad Line Forums - The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: DJ3165 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Holidays Topic Next Topic: What to do with it all
Page: of 27

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  1:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Based on Frank's advice, earlier, I dragged a couple of old bags of sanded grout left over from a tiling reno some years ago. One (fighter coloured) states that it is for 1/8" spaces and the second (darker) is grittier, for larger spaces.

I used the lighter stuff first over top of the wall plaster and that certainly helped plug some holes, gave it better texture, and made the "rocks" hard.

I then moved on to the left side of the "coast" and glued more "frocks" using larger chunks of foam I got from a company that makes custom furniture and let me have a couple of off-cuts. In this case I covered the foam with the grittier grout from the start. I ended up giving it two coats to fill all the gaps. In between coats I pinched off any pointy bits that didn't suit the look.

I also made up some extra and poured it into a foam meat tray to cure. My plan is to break it up and use it for some ground cover at some point.

Comments or suggestions, welcome.
Cheers,
Dave

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  2:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good Dave.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  3:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I like the new material you are using. The texture of the sanded grout gives the appearance of the little critters that live on the rocks.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  8:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, Dave.

Mark

W,L,&E

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  11:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks gents, it's good to know I'm on the right path. While the grout was drying, I started planking the wharf. I used Hunter's Cordovan Brown diluted 50:50 with alcohol and left the wood to sit in the IA mix for about 20 minutes. The problem with using stir sticks is that they are a little uneven in both width and thickness and some ended up warping pretty bad. I guess the price makes up for the problems. I'm using carpenter's glue to attach the sticks. I routed out a groove for the track to sit in, deep enough so that rail would be almost flush with the decking. I should have painted the sub deck black first so that any spaces between the planking doesn't show. I may yet do so. Comments and suggestions welcome.
Cheers,
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  09:43:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

A lot of work, but it’s turning out well. Have you decided about painting the sub deck yet? I do see a couple of small gaps—inevitable when the planks are different sizes—and if you can see the sub deck you should consider painting it

Mike

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  3:29:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,
I think I will have to paint the sub deck. Since the sticks aren't exactly square, they will tend to rotate one way or the other, requiring correcting and leaving some gaps. I will have to go back and drop some thin black paint into the existing ones. I don't want to do that the whole way along. The lazy part of me wants to keep and going and hope for the best (but that's probably a bad idea).
Cheers,
Dave

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  4:20:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't sweat the details too much. When we build on the bench we see 'everything'. Reality is that once on the layout those small 'hiccups' disappear. By the time you locate it with the correct lighting. Throw some details around you may just wonder what you were worrying about. My wharves have all sorts of faults. But now I don't even see them. Big picture mentality. And I'm lazy!

bruce

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  3:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, I suspect (and hope) you're right! My brother once told me that what makes a good carpenter is not avoiding mistakes but covering them up so they don't show.
Thanks for looking!
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  3:45:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's some more progress to show. Last night I got to painting the rocks. I used a palette of Burnt Umber, Mars Black, and Naples Yellow Red (looks like flesh tone).

I started with the Burnt Umber/Black mix and kept adding more umber and then a bit of Naples Yellow Red and finally some Titanium White.

Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  3:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following the rock painting I tackled the water. That was tougher because the angle at which I was viewing it and the horrible lighting made it difficult to see what the colour was looking like. Anyway, here is the palette I used: Ultramarine Blue with Black, some Sap Green thrown in as well and some Naples Yellow Red and white for the shallower parts near the shore.

Any comments are welcome. Next I need to finish up planking the wharf so I can attach the support piles. Once I have that done, I can apply the gloss gel medium, make some waves, and set the wharf down.
Cheers,
Dave

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  10:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave looking good.
If you poke around on the internet you can find a video of how Troels Kirk did his water. I found his method easy and easy to follow. It gives good
results.
I would post a link but I just terminated the employment of my old computer and it decided to take all my files with it! Or was it the other way around?

bruce

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2018 :  12:21:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, I do have his thread and his DVD but I guess I'm not the artist he is! Thanks for looking!
Cheers,
Dave

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/07/2018 :  01:28:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave his water is easy.You don't need his excellent skills. You already look like you are on the right path. I was referring more to how he made is water lighter towards the shore and darker in the deeper places.
I found that some variety in the greens before adding your water make a huge difference.

bruce

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2018 :  07:29:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks nice so far!

Philip

Page: of 27 Previous Topic: The Holidays Topic Next Topic: What to do with it all  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000