Railroad Line Forums - West Allen Street and Thawne
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 74 ]  [ Total: 76 ]  [ Newest Member: Davidsamuels ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 West Allen Street and Thawne
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: B&M Eastern Route progress
Page: of 7

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  11:05:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan,

You should be proud of that coal trestle - it is a great looking structure. Question: Is there someplace that you've documented it's construction?

Al Carter

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  11:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice progress.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  12:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dan,

If I were an HO person working on that coal trestle I'd make sure I never had to use the refuge platforms.

Very nice job.

Mike

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  1:51:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks chaps! :)

Michael, I'd be a liar if I said that was intentional, but it does add character to the model and I really like it. :)

Al, I haven't really documented the progress, unfortunately, though it was a pretty straightforward build. I will see if I can rustle up some old photos of the progress so you can see the work done.

As a quick run down of the trestle build, it's made from a mix of different materials:

Trestle bents: 5mm black foam board wrapped in Clevermodels 'Virginia City Brick' texture paper

The palisade walling on the back of the coal pens is made from 1mm thick card wrapped in Clevermodels 'HO scale wooden planks'

The trestle bed is made from strips of basswood with Peco Code 100 track stuck down and the centre of the ties removed once dried.

Walkways are made from 1mm card covered in Clevermodels 'HO scale wooden planks' (they do a lot of different types of these)

Railings and refuges are basswood strips, the stairwell is a plastic kit but I forget who makes it.

The track bumper at the end is more basswood strips.

All wood used in the construction is stained with india ink and isopropyl alcohol.

-Dan

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  1:56:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before work this afternoon I made the effort to stick down the base layer of cobblestones in the coal yard. They are made from a sheet of Slater's O scale brick embossed styrene, spray painted with Plasticote brown paint from a rattle can, then washed with Vallejo ModelAir White Grey paint. Lots more to do here but I'm looking forward to doing it.

-Dan

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  10:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another quick update for today - Midland Belt Railroad woodchip hopper. Built from a Bowser kit with Microscale decals stenciled lettering applied for the railroad name and reporting marks, it was weathered with Plasticote brown paint from a rattle can, as well as Vallejo ModelAir US Desert Sand and Railmatch Oily Steel paints. Now to finish it off I just need some sawdust to apply to the molded plastic car load to better simulate wood chips.

-Dan

Edited by - danielb on 02/13/2017 10:06:14 PM

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  01:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not much further progress beyond the woodchip hopper this morning, though there is the small matter of these... :)

-Dan

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  01:41:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just going through videos on YouTube of last year's Wakefield show, and lo and behold I find footage of a familiar layout... :lolol:

https://youtu.be/rFXmxM4T_MM?t=2m13s

Thanks to the chap who filmed it, because of his effort I now have actual concrete evidence that the layout DOES work!

-Dan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  08:44:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not only works, it works well.

The video gives a much more complete look of your layout. Looks great.

Mike

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  11:16:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan,

Thanks for the explanation re: the coal dealer trestle - seems pretty straightforward.

Loved the video showcasing your layout. Those buildings look super, as does all of the fine detail you've added. Very realistic!

Al Carter

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  11:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

Well, after spending most of the day clearing out my layout room, I've now got WA&T set up and ready to go.

I think that the new extension adds a lot of interest and operating potential, and I can't wait until I've gotten the whole thing ready for a session to test it all out.

It really is coming together now!

-Dan

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  7:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wowsa, it's growing.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  10:59:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan,

Every time I pour over the photos you post, I find more fascinating and eye-pleasing detail. You've really created a fine ambiance for the viewer to absorb.

Another question, if I may.... the background scene where the street fades into the distance behind those double gates (to the left (viewer's perspective) of the "Shoes" building) - where did that come from? Is it commercially available?

Thanks,

Al Carter

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  3:19:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al, it's from Google Maps, would you believe it - the gate is there to hid some modern cars and signs on the image.

I think it's from a street in Brooklyn, if I recall correctly.

-Dan

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  7:48:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Progress for today - a PS-1 boxcar converted over into a woodchip hopper - most famously done by the Bangor and Aroostock, though the Central of Georgia had a fair few, so I'm going to do this one up in Midland Belt colours as one of a few they purchased from the Southern.

I'll be adding more as and when I can, as any excuse to make use of 40' cars is welcome due to the short length of the fiddle yard.

Unfortunately with the way the layout fits in my layout room, the fiddle yard cannot be extended any further as there is a wall in the way. This shouldn't be too much of a problem soon though, as the next extensions I have planned include a yard. :)

Enough yapping from me, here's the hopper before paint:

In addition, I set up some cars on the layout ready to start an operating session once the wiring to link Handy Co and West Allen Street together is complete. Couldn't help but take some pictures though. :)

Alco RS2 #2127 backs onto the trestle at Noel's Fuel and Merchantile with a couple of coal hoppers...

...whilst the crew at Handy Co are busy getting a flatbed truck lined up ready for an inbound shipment.

Sybil at the Trackside Cafe has taken delivery of a couple of new vending machines and is waiting for her bus boy to finish his break and stock them with the latest delivery of soda pop.

Vilas Brothers have just taken delivery of a tank car full of chemicals ready to make paint thinners. Not sure what they need the gondola for yet though!

Finally, SD35 #3088 idles on the refuelling spur awaiting a crew change.

-Dan

Page: of 7 Topic Next Topic: B&M Eastern Route progress  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000