Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: harry callahan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks
Page: of 49

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  10:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Louis,
As always you have your builds layed out like pages in an encyclopedia. Structured like a well-oiled machine. It should be a simple project for anyone to follow and make their own. Yeah, right! Just not in my magic box, least not today.
An excellent build for sure.
Rich

Thanks for the kind words there Rich. I love those comments!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  10:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After looking at the Backwoods Miniatures model beam pilot, I wanted to make a change, and built a link and pin version, but found that the Bachmann Trolley/Cable Car frame sets too low to the track for this type of coupler to work properly. So I switched gears and went with a Kadee 30 Series #34 short underset coupler, and will mount it directly to the under frame as seen in the picture below, and just go ahead and build a beam type pilot like the Backwoods model type.

Louis

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  11:16:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis - You are welcome! Very interesting. Couplers, gadgets,things of this nature are all new to me. I'm glad there are still teachers aboard this train!

Rich

Mr Skratch
New Hire

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  12:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Skratch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Airbrushing was a pleasant experience and far better than doing paint with a brush on window frames.

Steps:
1) I laid down black as a primer coat - so that any future paint coverage could be less than perfect and allow for the small frames to stay minimal - I appreciate the fine sight lines afforded by the plastic castings. Keeps the details realistic.
2) 2nd coat was a medium brown to match up with the bare wood . Goal was to mimic the white old painted siding.
3) Final coat was dry brushing with an off white. This turned out well but does not photograph well at all with my cheap camera.
4) Acetate was cut to fit the backs of the windows sash by sash (2 per window). no glue was used to hold in place.
5) Used masking tape to fix in place and double up as window shades. I actually overlaid the tape on the backs and then cut to fit using the window edge as a guide. Some folded over excess tape allowed for a pretty snug fit which was a bonus.

I would love tips on how to fix acetate in place without the need for "window shades" as future models will undoubtably not have them.

Baggits sign was added to front - simply printed out white text on black background on regular paper.....sanded front and back to thin it up a bit and glued the back with watered down yellow wood glue. I used a stiff brush to gently work the sign into the clapboard while still setting up. I liked this technique, but it would be tough for larger applications. There is no additional paint added to the top, so a few steps saved where I thought I was going to have to try and blend it to make it look painted on. Everything is trial and error on this based on a years worth of reading blogs, following builds, and watching videos - it's exciting to finally pull stuff off the shelf and build with some confidence that the end result will be good.

Hoping to have the rest of the walls glued up today - no clamps = 1 wall at a time in order to stay square and plumb.......going to need to find small clamps for sure!

*Never let your current abilities limit your vision - Mr Skratch*
Jason D. Reece, AIA - Overland Park, KS.

Edited by - Mr Skratch on 01/10/2017 12:13:13 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  12:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted By Ensign (Greg Shinnie),"This will be the old woman who lived in a shoe daycare."

Hey Greg, do you know what they called the Old Woman who lived in a shoe who was a single businesswoman? A sole proprietorship!

Rich

Rich, my dad always told me, if you are going to dish them out, you've got to take them when they come back.
Good one, I like it!

Greg Shinnie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  12:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

quote:

quote:
Originally posted By Ensign (Greg Shinnie),"This will be the old woman who lived in a shoe daycare."

Hey Greg, do you know what they called the Old Woman who lived in a shoe who was a single businesswoman? A sole proprietorship!

Rich

Rich, my dad always told me, if you are going to dish them out, you've got to take them when they come back.
Good one, I like it!

Greg Shinnie

Greg,

Well said, so in line with your project of making the sole shoe house: Hmmmm' I wonder where the other one walked off to??
Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  12:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Skratch

I would love tips on how to fix acetate in place without the need for "window shades" as future models will undoubtably not have them.

.....going to need to find small clamps for sure!

Jason,

I meant to post a comment on your build earlier, but forgot to. You model somewhat like our friend Louis. Everything is laid out for any beginner to follow. This is a good practice as one can see every step of the process.
Most generally, if one doesn't want window shades, you could use black construction paper to hide any interior wood or non-painted walls. If you want to add interior lighting, then it wouldn't be done, and window shades or glazing over the windows with dullcoat will work. Last year, I did a scratchbuild on FSM Emporium Seafood, using real glass for the windows, but instead of using window shades, I painted on the window shades. It was a neat idea, plus it is less time consuming and no mess to glue on window shades per say.

Regarding small clamps, some hardware stores sell small clamps in there dollar bins, something like 8 for $1.00 or so. And I found small wooden cloths pins at a Jo Ann Fabrics store that really help holding small objects.
I will be following along with your build. Looks great so far.

Rich

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  1:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we installed the couplers onto the frame using the included screws that come with the Kadee coupler package. A hole was drilled into the frame, and a tap was used to thread the plastic deck. The screws were installed through the coupler components, and cut flush with the top of the deck. The height gauge was used and couplers tested as close as we are going to get them. Now on to making the beam pilot for the Railcar Critter.

Louis

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  4:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
...And I found small wooden cloths pins at a Jo Ann Fabrics store that really help holding small objects.

It was my daughter who gave me my little clothes pins. Wonderfully useful, they are....

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  4:24:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey Bernd, perhaps we should consider marketing these, we could make roundhouses and donut turntables for small railroads, starting with N scale Z scale and TT scale.
Rich

Hey Rich,

Project is looking good. You give a whole new meaning to fitting square windows in a round building.

As far as marketing those I don't think they would sell good as round house's for locomotives, maybe for living quarters. I've seen farm silo's turned into living spaces. Also running a business developing, making and marketing model railroad items takes away from building your own "stuff". I personally like R&D and let somebody else do the rest.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  4:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

Your project looks good from what I can see between those clamps.

BTW, those clamps on that building reminds me of a mouth full of braces back in my younger days.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Bernd

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  4:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I think the round garage is gonna be great. It demonstrates even more imagination from this group of artists and craftsmen.

I am proceeding with my loading dock.

Ready for primer.... (a fun step in the process)

ek

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  10:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I got started.
First I cleaned off the work bench;

Opened and inspected the contents and shorted through the casting which are fantastically well done. George included a cat in this set. Some of the details I can't use because the technology has not been put in use yet. Does any body want to give me $10.00 for them? Anyway, The instructions are great.They give the modeler all he needs to know to make a structure that was never painted and poorly maintained for decades with the aid of Floquil paint. This kit was run in 1979 (where were you then?) so that all makes sense but this is 2017, there is no Floquil and my railroad paints all its structures and maintains them well so I'm making a few adjustments. I started with staining all the wood for the first structure the Sand house with A&I black stain;

Next I well paint the exterior walls.

Download Attachment: PICT2738.JPG
156.07 KB

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Edited by - railman28 on 01/10/2017 10:49:06 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  10:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Skratch

Jason,

I use canopy glue to attach the window "glass." Little dabs within the frame that holds the glass. This glue dries clear, although I usually wipe off the excess that gets on the glass.

I am enjoying watching you build.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  10:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey Mike,

Sorry I didn't post until now, thanks for the comment on my project.
Your project looks good, but if it were me, I would shorten the building some, as it appears that there are many windows to install, plus I wouldn't have room for such a long building. I'm sure there is much processing to do at meat processing plants, so that is probably why the buildings were made long. Looks like you are off to a good start. I will keep looking in, but it is difficult to spend the time commenting and trying to get my project done as well.

Rich

Rich,

Not to worry. I have trouble responding to all the neat construction I see going on here. I'm finding it hard to keep up, especially while working under a deadline. Challenges are a challenge in many ways, especially with all these different threads intertwined.

Thank you for looking on. I know it's unusual to build such a long building but I actually have the room and I hope there are enough details to make it interesting in the end.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000