Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast
Page: of 49

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  1:35:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, your very nice looking walls look like they now have a ticket to meet up at the corners.

Jason, it's great to see a new member jump right into this challenge!
And your work is looking great so far.

Rich, I knew that you'd get around to building this unique structure.
I would hope that this project doesn't make you feel like your going around in circles.

Greg Shinnie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  2:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich,

Looking good. I'm really liking the way it looks.

Louis,

Now that stone structure is interesting. Now I've got to start sifting gravel to build one.

An on the topic of a "round" roundhouse. It could be done all you'd need would be a turntable that's a donut. I might just try that crazy idea. I bet it could have been built 1:1. Dam another project.

Bernd

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  3:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The printer laying down the molton plastic in .35mm threads.

Almost a day later, (sleep time included) the structural walls and roof are ready for their next steps. The rafters are printing in the shop.

Jim

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  7:21:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The prototype deck boards vary in thickness and width, depending on the car builder but usually 4”x12” stock. Some were butt jointed together. This will leave a bit of a gap as the wood dries, but this also allows water to drain off the deck. Many of the car floors were joined with tongue and groove joints. Also, most prototypes did not paint the deck lumber. It would normally need replacing long before it would rot. In my case for this model, I am staining the wood with a brown leather dye and denatured alcohol mix. The strip wood used is Midwest Scale Lumber 4”x12”, (.0416” x .125”) Basswood #8020. I made the wooden deck removable from the frame floor in case any modifications would be needed down the road. When putting together the Railcar Critter, I’ll be able to place the wooden deck onto the mechanism floor, place the double ended Critter body onto the wooden deck, then attach with two screws from the center bottom into the body. This will make for an easy shell on, and shell removal process.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  8:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,
As always you have your builds layed out like pages in an encyclopedia. Structured like a well-oiled machine. It should be a simple project for anyone to follow and make their own. Yeah, right! Just not in my magic box, least not today.
An excellent build for sure.
Rich

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  9:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hi Guys,

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on the "Shoe" and the "Critter" and all the other challenges... Every project is looking VERY imaginative and well-crafted so far.

I finally started mine;

I decided to finish the two far ends of my layout. I started by making two buildings out of one DPM kit. Very easy to do for my application, as the far walls will never be seen by the operators. I like to mask these exteriors walls when spray-painting them, I get crisper lines on the window frames and masonry than with hand painting.

By the way, those steps are rattle can flat black for the window frames (mask) Rustoleum Khaki Camo for the masonry (mask) and red oxide primer for the rest.

For the scene above I imagine lots of roof details, signage, some kind of dock so the structure meets the water, more transformers and electrical stuff, and a big intake tube going from the weir to the power plant.

For the west side of the layout I made a nearly identical building and tied into an existing wood structure. This scene needs lots of stuff, including better vegetation.

Perhaps you can help me decide whether to have separate docks and ramps (one for the track and one for the warehouse) or one continuous dock joining the track to the warehouse. I'm leaning toward the first idea, but could easily be talked out of it.

I used a little L-Shaped jig I made out of styrene to repeat the lines on the dock. I hope these knife cuts that I've broadened with a pencil will show through after painting, implying separate boards. The tower is for maintenance, and will have steps leading up to it. I got the idea from a glimpse of a similar structure I saw in a Harold Lloyd movie. You can see it here, and some other cool train stuff, about 1:30 into the clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne9HjgYLG9c&t=103s

ek

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  9:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hey, I just watched that Lloyd clip again. I guess it's not a maintenance platform. Looks like something trucks would drive up and dump something in? What do you think it is for? Whatever it is, it would make a neat model.

Kyle

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  11:31:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kyle, I just watched that clip. I forgot how funny Harold LLoyd was. Unreal footage for 1924'..

Ted

rda
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  11:34:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kyle:

You might find this idea helpful: Use a triangular sail-makers needle to widen the join lines on your deck. The idea is to use the needle like a scribe. There is likely one or two included on needle the card in your wifes sewing basket. Not my original idea but I've forgotten where I first heard it.

RDA

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  08:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted By Ensign (Greg Shinnie),"This will be the old woman who lived in a shoe daycare."

Hey Greg, do you know what they called the Old Woman who lived in a shoe who was a single businesswoman? A sole proprietorship!

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  09:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting back to this ... I have fitted in the back shop windows, but still need to finish the vertical 2 x 8"s and work on closing the window edges. I noticed that when installing the windows, although this is completely round, it doesn't appear off in any way because it is round vs a flat building, as Bernd had mentioned earlier. Actually fitting them side-by-side is the way to go, or one could leave a few feet of space between the windows, whatever your choice would be, is up to the builder in this case.

I am glad I decided to go ahead with this little project. I am liking the way it looks.

Hey Bernd, perhaps we should consider marketing these, we could make roundhouses and donut turntables for small railroads, starting with N scale Z scale and TT scale.
Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  09:30:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff - Your Jefferson Station is looking great. I have yet to make a station project, but may do so now after viewing your project. I have also considered using BIS plans, as they look inviting. Way to go.

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  09:35:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mike,

Sorry I didn't post until now, thanks for the comment on my project.
Your project looks good, but if it were me, I would shorten the building some, as it appears that there are many windows to install, plus I wouldn't have room for such a long building. I'm sure there is much processing to do at meat processing plants, so that is probably why the buildings were made long. Looks like you are off to a good start. I will keep looking in, but it is difficult to spend the time commenting and trying to get my project done as well.

Rich

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  09:42:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments, Rich, and I'm loving that round garage!

Last night and this morning I got a few glue-up sessions in. Freight room side:

Bay window:

And waiting-room side:

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  09:47:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,
Thanks and your interior looks fantastic! And those clamps are ingenious! Can't wait to see this finished.
Rich

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000