Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: pilot2fly ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: São Martins de Rio Valbergue Topic Next Topic: 2017 Pick One - Build One Challenge Final Photos
Page: of 49

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  01:01:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking structure back at you Rob. Looking forward to your roof treatment.

I started on the delivery truck for my Gern Industries.

I found an older Athearn trailer and removed the front axle so it would look a bit more like a lighter delivery trailer. The two 56' for tractors and the 53' tanker truck are Magnuson models, polyester resin castings. Everything is sprayed in a light grey primer, waiting for paint.

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  11:15:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The pace has slowed for me as I have decided to add a few details to the kit. I found a wonderful prototype at Greenfield Village - while not an exact replica, it is a Fairbanks Morse designed coaling tower, built in 2014! There are a couple neat videos on youtube showing the tower in action. I will be adding nbw castings from a variety of sources along with some rods between the tower legs. Also I have some chain for the chute mechanism, though it will be non-functioning. If I ever decided to make it move I'd probably replace the paper kit parts with styrene or brass. While it would be neat and add a touch of animation for operations, it would slow me down and momentum is not something I can afford to lose.

Galen

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  12:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice progress on everyone's projects. Glen, I have some Magnuson vehicles. So, I am interested to see how you finish them, especially the windshields.

Chuck

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  8:54:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, there's some very impressive work going on here. I thought it's about time for me to jump in.

I started my build in this thread: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48507 I'm making a foreground scene of building flats that you can look through to see the layout. This is the last building for the scene. Most of the other buildings were made using Taskboard as the base for the walls and floors like this.

This one will have styrene walls and floors. Here are the plans I made using AutoSketch.

I downloaded a brick wall and resized it to HO scale and added it to my drawing. I printed this out on Strathmore paper that's about 0.010” thick.

You may not be able to see the lines for the windows and doors, but they stood out enough to use them to cut out the openings. Using double faced tape, I fastened a set of plans for the second story on the back of a sheet of styrene clapboard and cut out the window openings. I used a piece of 0.015” styrene as the backing for all the wall surfaces. I picked 0.015” because it was easier to cut out the window and door openings than heaver styrene (like the 0.040” clapboard ).

Here are the pieces laid out ready for assembly.

George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2017 :  4:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I glued the siding to the second floor and added trim to the top of the building. Time to start on the inside. I used cardstock for the interior wall covering. The wallpaper was downloaded from the internet the other three wall pieces are painted cardstock. I use cardstock rather than regular paper because it won't wrinkle when glued to the styrene walls.

I used double faced tape to temporarily fasten the pieces of cardstock to the styrene while I cut out the door and window openings using the walls as a template.

I lined the inside of the openings with a Sharpie so the white wouldn't show through any gaps. The sloppy work on the outside shows the side I worked from. While not important here since both sides will be covered, the working side is prone to getting stray marks from a wandering pen. It did matter when I did the edges of the brickwork.

George

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  11:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the work you're putting into the interiors, George.

I painted the Magnuson trucks today:

The two tractor units are going to be red and green. I airbrushed the cabs in Model master Acrylics and I'll detail paint them later. I also sprayed the red truck's wheels red, and I'll brush paint the tires. The rest of the tires and rear frames were sprayed flat black.
I also painted the trailer's box in white.

I also painted the tanker in white. It's going to be a Shell tanker since 1) I have the decals for it and 2) Shell was an established company in western Canada in the 50's.
I'll be masking and painting part of the tank section in Yellow later.
I will be painting the windshields, following the example of an older Model Railroader article.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  08:10:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George, Thank you for the inside story. It is a different perspective on modeling. Very creative.

Glen, you've a steady hand painting those trucks. Nice.

-- Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  04:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, your really off to a flying start with you latest edge of the layout structure.
looking good.

Glen, nice start on those trucks and good colours. Should go well with you new structure.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  04:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I've finally got my structure finished.
Simple roof top detail, and added some business signs, named after a ficticous business Cosmo Kramer used in Seinfeld.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Edited by - robert goslin on 03/21/2017 04:39:24 AM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  08:04:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a nice way to top that building off :)

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  1:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was never a big Seinfeld fan but that signage looks great. I especially like the large poster with the industrial buildings on it.

Life has gotten in the way of my own project, in the form of a cat with a bad bladder that went undiscovered for a few days. Vet trips, carpet cleaning, special meds, carpet cleaning, etc. I did manage to get the NBW's on the tower framing. Now deciding if I want to do the rodding as well.

Galen

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  4:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob, Nice signs. My philosophy is the bigger and gaudier the sign the more you'd better look out!

Galen, sorry to hear about your cat. I think the rods make a great detail and might go faster than you think.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  5:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments, Mike and Rob.

Rob, I like the art work on your "Kramerica" signs.

George

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  6:19:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good work, everyone!

I'm about done with my boxed pony truss road overpass:

I may come back later to do lane markings and more weathering & some minor vehicle damage.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2017 :  1:32:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first story windows are not commercial castings, nor were any of the other first story windows in the other buildings. On my first building I laboriously cut the window out of clear styrene and after a couple tries I got it to fit in the opening . For the rest I used this method.

I simply glued a piece of 0.015” clear styrene to the first floor wall of the building. Next, I cut out the door openings. I also glued a piece to the sides so when I glue the brick paper on there will be the same siding overhang on all sides. If you look closely, the piece I used for the front wasn't quite long enough so I added a little piece to each end. The important thing is the window is covered with a single piece.

Here's an in progress picture of the interior with walls and the first floor ceiling installed. I used Taskboard for the floors and walls because Taskboard is 6” thick, just right for a wall and when doubled it makes a 1' high floor.

The ends of all walls and floors are black and I use a Sharpie for this. The outside walls will eventually get the same treatment.

George

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: São Martins de Rio Valbergue Topic Next Topic: 2017 Pick One - Build One Challenge Final Photos  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000