Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 11 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Bridge ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks
Page: of 49

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/05/2017 :  11:45:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen - the masking turned out fine. I always worry about peeling up the prior layers but most of the time I have no trouble, so I'm not sure why I worry. Maybe its that one time it didn't work...funny how that is.

Kyle - you've created a very interesting shape that will sure to be an eye-catcher on your layout.

My own tower continues to "fill in". Coal pocket attached, now framing nearly complete. Photos later.

Galen

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2017 :  12:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looking good Glen. Nice Job.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2017 :  8:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen, Your building is looking great. I like the colors.

Rob, Another fine city building. Putting the walls together is my favorite step.

Bob, I'm looking forward to seeing the next stage of your FSM project.

Kyle, I'm glad I could provide a little inspiration, but your creativity is tops.

Galen, Your tower is looking good also.

Meanwhile, I've been working on signs and the ice elevator up to the second-story opening. Here's an update:

I decided to leave the two freight doors open so I had to add floors to the inside. I think the next step for me is to install the canopy. There are several details I need to work on such as cornice, glass in the two doors and transoms, and completing the ice elevator.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  09:12:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Galen, I'm looking forward to those photos.

Kyle. That is a pretty interesting shape, is there a specific place for it to fit?

Mike, I like that ice elevator. I've probably seen them before but not realized what the actually are.

I decided on a business and painted the sign yesterday:

I masked and sprayed the black, then added dry transfer lettering. It's a fictional distribution business.

I also added the window glass and the styrene roof, it will be finished off with a tar and gravel treatment.

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  10:00:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen - Suddenly that building looks somehow...3% better.

Mike - the signs begin to bring that building to life!

Galen

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  11:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen, nice looking signage.

Mike, Looking Good, Shouldn't the ice Elevator Have A dock to receive Ice from cars?

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  12:13:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice signage, Mike and Glen!

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  1:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Download Attachment: IMG_0963.JPG
69.63 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_0965.JPG
90.37 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_0966.JPG
96.02 KB

Coal pocket and bracing. Not shown, doors have been installed and foundation strips assembled and sanded (but not installed until painted). Up next...platforms and stairs, the first metal castings in the kit!

Galen

Download Attachment: IMG_0967.JPG
97.44 KB

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  8:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen, Thank you. Ice elevators are new to me although like you, I'd probably seen pictures of them in the past.

Good job on Gern Industries. Looks very real.

Galen, thank you. The building is looking a little less anonymous now.

Nice progress on your coaling tower.

Bob, I was wondering about a platform. However, I assume the ice was loaded directly from a boxcar.

Jeff, thank you.

--Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  01:23:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work all. Everyone is progressing really well. Always interesting to see the different techniques being used.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  01:31:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My walls are finally together. Next up I will add the roof, cornice, front door and some signage.
Nearly done.

The back wall is a mirror image photocopy of the side. Will suffice as it won't be seen when on the layout.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  06:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Glen Haasdyk

Kyle. That is a pretty interesting shape, is there a specific place for it to fit?

Yes, It will go in between two tracks at a siding. Something like this.

ek

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  07:52:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kyle,

Your tower looks great and makes a lot of sense there.

Mike

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  09:19:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Thanks Mike, your meat plant is looking awesome.

The "Delray" Interlocking Tower is finished. Here it is in HO scale.

ek

morten1996
New Hire

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  07:05:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit morten1996's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Ted, Glen, Mike, Rob, Dave & Galen: thanks for the nice comments.

@Kyle: really admire fast progress on your great junction tower
@Michael: Impressive work on your Swift & Company

Some news on GM&O #1900:
enlarged the inner diameter of the portholes which led to some troubles to the shell. applied paint to the details, mounted wipers and sunshade holders - the masking tape was attached for photos only

Regards
Norman

From the shop:
http://large-scaledieselmodels.blogspot.de/

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000