Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: buc45 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks
Page: of 49

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  10:35:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Galen, odd, one piece being thinner than the others. I guess quality control was asleep.

Kyle, it's good to see you join in.

-- Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  09:26:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Galen, I built an old Juneco CNR Station with the same type of stamped walls. The doors and windows were time consuming to cut out properly but worked out well in the end.
Kyle, it is good to see your work again.

I painted the doors and windows to my structure:

If and when I build another DPM structure, I might try out Robert's way of painting the windows first and then masking them with the styrene plugs. Might be easier that hand painting everything after.

I'm going to paint the horizontal brickwork next in a concrete color, I'm going to try a bit of masking and airbrushing with that.

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  9:56:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Gonna be good, Glen... I think masking is the way to go.

I painted the first floor of my new signal tower.

rk

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2017 :  02:31:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made a little progress. Mostly in planing.
In this photo the yellowed card is the original FSM art work, above it is my revisions to the plans. I've separated the building into two rooms. A guard shed and and a tool house for the Gandy Dancers. You can see I moved the windows on the back wall to make room for the wall dividing the two rooms, added a window to one side and moved the shed doors to the front of the building.
I also checked to make sure the casting will fit into the new building.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2017 :  02:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a bit behind on reporting progress. Real life and all that.
Thanks everyone for your kind comments on my wall colours.
Glen, your bricks are looking great. We all have our own preferred techniques for brick, windows etc. I think I've tried them all, and the one I use now give me great results every time.

Galen, your off to a good start with the coaling tower. Hopefully it's a good kit, despite the different wall thickness.

Kyle, great start on the Signal tower. Nothing more satisfying than a scratch-build. Is it your own design ?

Bob, should be nice. Planning before starting any model is always wise.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2017 :  02:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So here's a small update.
All the glazing is done and this time I'm using venetian blinds for my window coverings. Printed using my own MS Excel design.

I can now start assembling the walls, so it actually looks like a building. And also to catch up with Glen.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/03/2017 :  08:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robert goslin

Kyle, great start on the Signal tower. Nothing more satisfying than a scratch-build. Is it your own design ?

Hi Bob, It IS my own design. In an earlier post I mentioned how inspiring everyone's work is. This design came partly from Mike's offset shed on his meat packing plant. I also needed room for trains, because this structure will be close to a turnout, therefore, I angled in the brick first floor in, and the clapboard second story will be square and hover over the track.

I'm gonna use Excel to make blinds too!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2017 :  11:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, nice blinds Rob, Makes me forget it's N-scale.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/03/2017 :  1:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Download Attachment: IMG_0961.JPG
91.08 KB

Progress as of yesterday morning. Currently I am working on the coaling bin. This has been, so far, an exercise in measuring the part, measuring the plan, reading ahead in the assembly sequence and trial fitting. All good fun and not too challenging, though it makes me wonder if it would not have been easier to start with un-stamped stock sheet, transfer the dimensions from the plans and cut them out vs. trying to make sure the stamped parts go together as inteneded.

As I work on the coal pocket I am realizing the thinner stock for the wall may have been intended to offset the pocket walls and floor. I had to narrow these parts by the same dimension I thickened the wall. Funny, but no mention is made in the instructions about one segment being thinner but that segment is not as wide and that IS mentioned. There are two segments of this narrower dimension that are to be joined - one was thick and one thin. Thinning the thick one would have taken too long and without any guidance from the instructions, well, I made a call to thicken the larger section. Here is where having a good set of drawings and diagrams from which to check dimensions is paying off.

Galen

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/03/2017 :  9:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Gonna be a neat Tower, Galen...

As for me, I've created some big windows (a trademark of interlocking towers) by combining smaller sashes.

Now I'm getting a look at the whole structure with a coat of white primer and some temporary roofs.

Kyle

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  01:48:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well we have the two towers building and they're looking looking good too.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  11:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kyle', Very cool tower'..Great imagineering'...

Ted

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  1:45:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Thanks Ted and all.... Got an acrylic topcoat and some stain on last night...

ek

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  6:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I painted all the concrete on my building today.

I started with masking as much as I could on each wall, using 1/2" masking tape. Then airbrushing Model master Acrylic concrete.

then I went back and masked the smaller areas that the tape originally covered. It took about an hour to mask and paint everything.

Next is the window glass and the roof.
Not sure what kind of business this will be. I might have to paint a sign yet.

MrGreenDevil
New Hire

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  11:14:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this is the sketch phase this far, can't decide on the roof/side wall size. The idea came from the combination of an English watchman's shack and an New England speed shed.
I want something somewhat different, but something prototypical enough to look natural on the module.
Definitely looking forward to hearing any and all input.
I'll upload pictures ASAP!

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000