Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: Bunkerboy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks
Page: of 49

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  03:24:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for your comments.
Glen, I look forward to seeing the wall colouring.

Norman
That's a really great looking loco. And the painting is really sharp.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  03:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've finally got the front walls painted. Before painting any plastic, I always undercoat with rattle-can grey auto primer.
For most of my buildings, my mortar colour is tan with red brick, but this time as I'm doing a med brown brick colour, I've done the mortar in white.
Put on the mortar and window colour first, as they're both Tamiya White, then dry-brushed the bricks with Tamiya Earth Brown.
Used thin styrene blanks to protect the windows.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Edited by - robert goslin on 02/26/2017 03:39:31 AM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  08:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice color selection. looks good!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  09:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

Looks good. The tan gives some variety from building to building. You and Glen have me noticing brick styles, colors and features around the little city where I live.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  11:23:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Norman...You are a craftsman!!

Rob...The tan color brick looks fantastic, nice job!

Glen...Looking forward to the coloring you choose on your neat build!

Dave

MrGreenDevil
New Hire

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  03:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm doing #2 (possibly #4, if time permits) as it's a great way to challenge my skills and add new knowledge to my builds.
I'm a recovering military modeller (tread-head) whose always been a railroader at heart and this suits me to T!
I'll post pics of sketches etc once I've settled on my choice(s).
Thanks so much for allowing me this opportunity to show off and bounce ideas, and more importantly receive constructive criticism.

Auf Weidersehen!

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  08:40:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Nicely done Rob. The colours are perfect!

Bob

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  08:41:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still seemingly following in Rob's footsteps, I painted the brickwork on my structure:

I rattle-canned the building with a light gray primer, then dry-brushed Americanna's Heritage Brick and Brown Iron oxide onto the brick.

Unlike Rob, I still have to hand-paint the windows, doors and other masonry. Seems there's more than one way to skin a cat.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  12:48:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, Glen, very nice job on the painting you both got good brick colors

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  3:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wilkommen, MrGreenDevil!

Norman - that diesel is tee-rific.

Rob & Glen - bricks looking sharp!

Galen

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  3:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Work has begun on the Alexander Coaling Station. This basswood felt more like oak as I cut the pre-stamped wall sections free from their sheet. Yes, I was using a new blade. I'd have used my scroll saw if the wall sections hadn't been adjoining each other on the sheet. The windows are going to be FUN to get out without splitting the walls. Good thing there are only a handful.

Download Attachment: IMG_0956.JPG
96.86 KB

Galen

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  6:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen, looking real nice. The gray primer seems to tone it down some.

Galen, your coaling station is going to be classic. Do you have any changes in mind?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  7:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I will be using the We Honest SMD LED pre-wired green gooseneck lamps instead of the kit parts, and I may replace other kit parts with finer scale parts if I feel they would drastically improve it. Otherwise, it will be built as an "off-the-shelf" basic FM tower that the Ocali Creek Railway purchased and built sometime in the early 20th century, so no extreme weathering.

Galen

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  5:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Download Attachment: IMG_0958.JPG
73.56 KB

Here is my alignment/gluing plate. I use a piece of glass, liberated from a defunct all-in-one printer, with an old metal ruler taped to it.

Walls A, B, and C are now cut and glued. One of the siding sections for wall D was half the thickness of the rest, so I had to glue on a piece of cardstock. I was careful to make the grain perpendicular for strength. Hopefully by tonight I will have all 5 walls ready for assembly.

Galen

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  9:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Great projects, and oh so inspiring...

I feel like I'm missing out on the fun, so I thought I'd add a Scratch built, HO Scale signal tower to my mix.

ek

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000