Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 82 ]  [ Total: 86 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Southside Hotel from Imagine That Laser Art Topic Next Topic: Dirty Stuff
Page: of 45

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  12:27:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Louis, I think it's Pullman Green........

Thanks Bob I'll check on that!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  12:30:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first thing to get done is to rotate the motor 180 degrees so the top of the motor, with the lower section, will give more room under the body shell hood area. As seen in the pictures below, the motor in first picture shows how the higher top section would be better in the center of the body area, allowing more hood head room, and also the lip at the top of the motor sticks out to far to the front. By turning the motor 180 degrees as seen in the second picture, it shows the lip and higher top section placed into the center area of the body shell. Third picture shows the motor close-ups to help explain this process, and reason behind it. Also, so that the Railcar Critterís body would set down onto the frame base properly, I need to cut away a section of the plastic motor support, to give extra room for the grill front section, shown in red, last picture. Now on to shortening the length of the base frame, so the opposite end of the Railcar Critter will fit into place.

Louis

morten1996
New Hire

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  1:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit morten1996's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First shots of what had been achieved so far on Ingalls 4S' shell

Regards
Norman

From the shop:
http://large-scaledieselmodels.blogspot.de/

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  1:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This challenge is really looking like a lot of fun! Some really interesting projects have been presented and started.
As most of you know, I've got my hands full working on 1820's Fort York project, but I feel like I'm missing out on all of the fun around here.
So against my better judgement, I am going to join in with the fun that's clearly happening here!
I have a small project, that I think I can squeeze in here without taking up to much time.
Using number 2 "From Sketch to Scratch"
I've had this idea for awhile now, but just haven't had the time to do it.
It is a bit whimsical, but then again so am I!
I've been looking for a old style child's shoe for quite some time, but did not find one that I liked.
I mentioned this to my wife, since she is always hitting the second hand shops in our area.
She did find me something, but not quite what I was expecting, it was a bronzed baby shoe.
Upon seeing it I thought that this might actually work better than I first imagined.
So here is my sketch of what I am planning to do.

This will be the old woman who lived in a shoe daycare.

And here is the bronzed shoe that my wife got for me to use.

And like most things, one thing leads to another.
So how can one do a project like this without also including number 4 in this challenge, "The square footer" I will build this shoe into a square footer diorama.
I'm also a glutton for punishment!

Greg Shinnie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  1:47:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Any one out there have a clue as to what color this is? I'm thinking of going with this color for mine as well.

Hard to tell. Looks like they used a regular light bulb to light the car due to the yellow tint. I'd say it's a cream color going into the yellow light spectrum. I've got an idea. A person I knew showed me a way to tell the color. Take a section of the car and blow it up until you see nothing but the pixels. You'll get a better idea of the color. I'm going to give it a try and see what I come up with.

Bernd

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  2:39:25 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looks pretty close to CN grey #17. I actually had a sample of this and pullman green right next to my computer! Pullman green is way too dark.

You do brighten up my day, Greg! What a fantastic project. I'm sure you will find time to kick this one into touch!

Cheers, Mark.

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  4:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While trying to fit the body shell down on to the frame, to see how much I had to shorten the frame back, I found that I had to make further adjustments for the shell to set down in to place properly. I had to notch out both sides of the motor mounts so the shell body car fenders, where they bow in, would set down over the motor mounts. You can see by the next two pictures how the cuts were made. The body does set down into place real fine now. So on to shortening the length of the base frame, so the opposite end of the Railcar Critter will fit into place.

Louis

David Clark
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  7:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Any one out there have a clue as to what color this is? I'm thinking of going with this color for mine as well.

It looks a lot like WWII German Panzer Yellow. At least it's not far off.
Dave

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  9:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg'
That is one heck of an amazing undertaking for sure, hope to see what you come up with. I wonder who will make a kit out of your build.
Rich

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  9:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Clark

It looks a lot like WWII German Panzer Yellow. At least it's not far off.
Dave

Thanks David, I just did a search using your suggestion. And found the Tank Dark Yellow 1943 17 ml. VALLEJO 71081 to be the closest color I've found yet. The 71025 Amarillo Panzer Dark Yellow seems to bright even after weathering. I'm liking that Tank Dark Yellow #71081.

Louis

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2017 :  09:02:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, whimsical is good!

Louis, that Panzer Ocre looks like a darn close match.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2017 :  09:19:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Louis, that Panzer Ocre looks like a darn close match.

Yea, that's what I'm thinking Bruce. That as the base color, then a lite black wash weathering should do it.

Louis

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2017 :  09:37:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work folks. while I don't want to slight some work I really see some potential of couple of these for my own. I just love desertdrover's home-brewed rail car critter idea. I'll bookmark that one. And Michael Hohn's meat packing plant has some wonderful possibilities.

-- Rich

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2017 :  09:42:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichBeau

Nice work folks. while I don't want to slight some work I really see some potential of couple of these for my own. I just love desertdrover's home-brewed rail car critter idea. I'll bookmark that one. And Michael Hohn's meat packing plant has some wonderful possibilities.

Thanks for your comments Rich, and replying. It's nice to hear from you, when I joined the crew back in 2006 you were pretty active around here yourself. Now it is hit and miss. Photography must keep your time away.

Louis

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2017 :  09:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While my in my case I'm a bit slower than most...
I started this background warehouse scratch-build back in the middle of December.

Maybe I'll finish it by the end of the year.
Hopefully you guys will inspire me to finish this.

-- Rich

Page: of 45 Previous Topic: The Southside Hotel from Imagine That Laser Art Topic Next Topic: Dirty Stuff  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000