Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: pilot2fly ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: São Martins de Rio Valbergue Topic Next Topic: 2017 Pick One - Build One Challenge Final Photos
Page: of 49

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  3:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

That's going to ba an impressive building.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  5:46:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob, I'll look into re-carving the edges when the time comes.

Mike, I did think of bricking the doors over but the building will be so close to the retaining wall in the back the they probably wouldn't have those doors to begin with.

I did come to a solution though:

I found a pair of DPM modular sections that I glued together and cut to fit the space. they haven't been glued together yet but you can see where I am going with this.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  10:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Michael. I'm happy with how it's turning out.

Glen, that will look really good, and of course as the "new" brick section is also DPM, the brick sizes will match.
BTW, keep that freight door section you cut out, as you could probably use it on another build.
I keep & re-purpose a lot of my left over bits.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  3:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Jeff - Jefferson looks pretty finished to me.

The NH seacoast is up to 50F/11C today, busily melting the 3'/90CM of snow we got last week and the week before. Which makes a good day to open the window and stick the airbrush vent out.

I sprayed the truss enclosure with Scalecoat EL Gray, following published photos of the Arundel bridge and others. Before WWII, standard structure paint was gray with green trim, and this is within the normal variation of the B&M's paint purchases.

I also sprayed the deck with TruColor Grimy Black; once that's dry I'll cover it with grout sand for asphalt pavement. Next step is to assemble the bridge and stain the creosoted timbers. Finally, I'll build and paint the metal roofs for the truss enclosures.

Edited by - jbvb on 02/19/2017 3:34:30 PM

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  11:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished assembling the walls on my DPM structure:

I am considering cutting some of the panels of the roll-up door and adding and interior ramp for some added visual interest.

I also had to make some spacers for the splice strips and the ends since the DPM modular walls are about 1/2 the thickness of the original kit's walls. I'll start re-carving the brickwork on the ends next.

morten1996
New Hire

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  1:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit morten1996's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Jeff
congrats for finishing this superb depot

after some time some new pictures of my GM&O #1900 - I started with the paint job

There are a three small differences between engineer's and fireman's side - size and number of the grilles and the small plug-in near the lower grille on the engineer's side.

Regards
Norman

From the shop:
http://large-scaledieselmodels.blogspot.de/

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  8:29:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote

James, I think your bridge is going to confuse a lot of those who are not in the know with regard to New England bridges. A teachable moment.

Glen, nice progress, splices and all.

Norman, Very cool model. Great color, bodywork, details.

So, after a little work this evening, here is where I stand. The little addition is attached, roof installed and tar papered; a ramp built, and chimney installed. I've also added most of the windows. Here's a gallery. The addition is indeed a funny shape, with a truly unusual pitch to the roof.

The ramp is pure invention, meant to add a little variety to the structure. The little door on the small side of the addition is an interpretation of what I can see in the photo.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  9:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael,
Your progress is spectacular and your presentation is even better. Your build is really sharp. Love it!
Rich

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  10:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice practical-looking building, Mike. And I'm impressed with Norman's Ingalls diesel. The Diesel Spotters' Guide photo showed the cab end; I never knew how much the 'vestibule' at the rear looks like a commuter coach...

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  12:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Norman, looking bright and nice.

Mike, very sharp. I think that little addition was used when the beef was "fresher".

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  07:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich, James, Bob, thank you.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  07:48:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, the bridge looks terrific, the foreground 'ground' is very realistic looking.

Glen, the masonry is coming along nicely.

Norman's engine work is very interesting.

Mike, the meat packing house is quite a project as well. I probably missed it in an earlier post, was that closed opening above the shack an 'escape exit' in case of fire?

Jim

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  08:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Thank you.

There will be another closed-up window on the opposite side as well. No idea why. I think the little addition was a modification to the original building because it is not built to the same standard. The former opening above it might have been closed in at that point.

Mike

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  09:00:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done, Mike. Very Clean build. The little addition adds allot of visual interest.

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  1:38:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, nice work going on here!
Mike...Love your building! What a well executed job you did.
Norman...your engine is a work of art. Well Done!
James...your bridge is well done and really looks at home with the block piers and the bus.
Glen...nice progress!
Dave

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: São Martins de Rio Valbergue Topic Next Topic: 2017 Pick One - Build One Challenge Final Photos  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000