Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks
Page: of 49

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  7:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally...The completed build. This picture is taken at a view similar to the original sketch.

Back Side:
The exhaust ductwork is folded construction paper.

Front and Back Bird's Eye View:

The Boss:
Inspecting with a cigar in hand.

Inside the Elevator View:
Only a two story building however, the addition of the elevator makes loading and unloading the second floor easier.

Storage Yard:
You have to be big and strong to work here! Hollow pipes .062 and .090 dia. are cut to various lengths.

Chain Link Fence:
The fence is made from insect screen cut on a diagonal...1" tall. The posts are .090 aluminum tubes cut to length and capped with a small bead and pin purchased at Michaels. The posts are glued to screen then the assembly is planted.
The rolls of chain link are 1" x 10" long, diagonal cut, then rolled and a dab of glue is applied after rolling. The chain link roll is wrapped with a construction paper band.

Another Truck Load Ready for Installation:

This was a fun project to build for the 2017 challenge. Now it's back to the Startin' from Scratch section of the forum for my next project. Dave

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  7:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The challenge is certainly producing outstanding models this year. Terrific job Dave!

Jim

Edited by - BurleyJim on 02/15/2017 12:31:13 AM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  8:09:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, you out did yourself on this 1/4 scale scratch build. Half the size of your normal builds. It took me several builds before I became comfortable after changing scales. You have mastered it with no problem'. Good for you'. This is an absolutely beautiful structure and diorama'..I love the aged bricks'..and that's an excellent fence'..
GREAT JOB'

Ted

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  9:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, from your initial sketch to the final completed scene, you really did an outstanding job of bringing it all together!
Fantastic looking scene & structure!
I really like the little bits of graffiti that you added to the wooden fence sections.
I hope your name is also on that wooden fence somewhere.
You have a very lucky son, who gets these lovely treasures from you!

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  9:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Very nice scene you've built around your fencing company. The chain link fence is very realistic, and I like the truck, people, and rolled up fencing.

It's funny that half of the perimeter fence is wooden and old.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  10:02:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work on the chain link factory, Dave. Nice and realistic scene.

I made my decision on the DPM structure. I will be going with the first layout as everyone has suggested, it will work allot better in the space and be more visually attractive as well.
I do have a bit of cutting and splicing ahead of me:

I'm going to take the one storey part off so it will fit just a bit better on the layout, but that also means that I'll have to cut, trim and splice the two shorter end walls to make them match the taller end wall.

I won't be needing the three dock doors on the side facing away from the viewer so I have a plan to sand the door frames flush with the brickwork and

cover the lower part with some plastruct brick sheet I had laying around. the brick sheet is a fairly close match for the DPM brickwork.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  01:10:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, Your fence company looks great.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  01:45:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of wonderful builds going on here.

Dave, I'm most impressed with you finished wire fence factory. A great rendering of your original sketch.

Glen, I'll be looking on to see what you do with the DPM structure. You're a man after my own heart, cutting it up to get what you want.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  03:29:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my walls sliced up, to make a square, rather than the original narrow building.
3 of the same kit are being used.
I'll even have enough bits left over to do another structure.

And just butted together to get an idea of how they'll look. Almost a mirror image.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  08:40:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, what they said about the fence co.

On-site test assembly of my boxed pony truss bridge:

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  08:40:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Dave - Fantastic!

Bob

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  10:19:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim...thanks for the compliment!

Ted...I can always count on you for some amazing comments that really makes a guy feel good about his models!!!

Greg...wonderful comments and I think my son will like the build. I named it after his grandfather.

Mike...thanks for the kind words. I thought it would be funny to build a ratty fence in front of a fence company.

Glen....thank you for the nice comment. I think you made the correct choice in building style.

Bob (railman28)...thanks, it was fun to build.

Robert...thank you for the wonderful comments. Your five story build is going to be impressive!

jbvb...thanks

Bob (time2play)...glad you liked it. I borrowed your Graves elevator concept.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  10:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, that structure looks fantastic. I like your brickwork and the elevator shaft. Is there a light in the shaft or did you shine a light when taking the picture? Your son is lucky boy!
Rich

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  12:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More-or-less finished.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  12:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,
Beautiful station, especially the color scheme. Will you be adding loads of details, vehicles, etc? I'm sure it will look great in night shots on your layout.
Rich

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000