Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: harry callahan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks
Page: of 49

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  11:45:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, Bruce, Bob and Mike, all of your on-going projects are super. I would single you all out, making a comment for each and every one of you, but I am bushed tonight. So keep up the fine modeling my friends.
Rich

Edited by - Pennman on 02/13/2017 4:16:00 PM

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  01:20:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm a bit late in coming to the challenge this year. I've had a lot to deal with the last few weeks.
Anyhow, I'm going to do a kitbash of DPM's Corner Apothecary, that I've had on the shelf for a long time, using 3 kits to make a 5 story building.
Here's the original kit.

I won't be using the 2 small walls.

Here's all the walls I'm using with plenty of slicing, stacking and modifications to come.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Edited by - robert goslin on 02/13/2017 01:23:29 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  01:41:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, My heart goes out to you in your hour of grief. Your wife is really going to need you.

Mike, very nice roof, those are nice shingles. The build is looking super.

Rob, glad to see you join the party as I enjoy your work.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  08:11:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, Ted, Chuck & Rich, thanks for the comments. I am going to keep it this clean and neat until after our next Division meet where we will all bring our boxcar projects in. Once on the layout it will be nestled in a fenced in salvage yard with the usual stacks and piles of 'stuff'.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  08:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich, my thoughts are with you and yours during this difficult time.

Rob, I'm happy to see you join the challenge; hardly seems like one without you.

Bob, thank you for the compliments.

--Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  10:21:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice kit to work with, Rob. That looks like the old HO scale Heljan corner drug store kit. Pretty cool to see DPM made an N scale version of it. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Chuck

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  7:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Well a little progress.
A work bench;

Here's some interior views;

And a couple of exterior views;

At this point the sand house only needs a couple of ladders (one of which is drying) to be finished and its on the the Tool shed/guard shack.

Bob, the work bench and sand house are right on the money'...Beautiful job'..

Ted

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  9:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Looking good everyone.
Bruce, your structure shows the importance of signage as a finishing touch. An exclamation point, really.... I need to add some myself.

Kyle

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  11:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have finally started my project. I've had this spot on my layout that was in need of a structure for some time now:

It's tucked quite a ways back (about 4 feet) from the front.

And I've had this DPM kit stuck in my inventory for awhile as well:

the only problem is that the kit has three dock doors on one side, and one dock door and a rool-up garage door on the other side. That and the structure is a bit long so I might have to cut the one-storey part off to make it fit a bit better. Here's a few options for fitting it in the space allowed:

I'd rather it be positioned with the one dock door and the garage door facing the front of the layout, probably with the one storey removed. I guess this is the problem when you have most of your buildings down and you have to fit the rest for the real-estate remaining.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  08:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by engineerkyle

Bruce, your structure shows the importance of signage as a finishing touch. An exclamation point, really....

Kyle

Thanks for the observation, Kyle. I fully agree. Since this model will be viewed from both the front and rear, I needed something on the rear of the sign that looked 'reasonable'. I decided on the angle iron supports. Two vertical pieces on the rear of the sign, two horizontal pieces on the roof of the car, and the two diagonals. (The diagonals are .060 and the others are .080.)

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  10:10:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen, I also like the first option best. The other two look a little too artificial where either the tall or short end of the building bumps up against the terrace in the background.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  12:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg - First option is my choice as well...

Bob

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  2:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glenn, I have an un-built Cutting's Scissors in the drawer, so I'll be watching what you do with yours. Meanwhile, I was reminded about the tradeoffs between styrene (which I've used for almost all my scratchbuilding) and wood:

The 1/8" hardboard former curled away from the glued side for both sheathing laminations, but came back the next day. This afternoon I'll start on the floor subassembly.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  3:45:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen, I would go with option one.

Ted, Thank you very much.

Here's a shot with the ladders in place;

And now it's on to the Guard/tool shed build.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  7:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WooHoo! My electronic parts from WE HONEST arrived today, all the way from Guangdong, China. That, along with the addition of a thrifted desk lamp for my workbench, means I will be getting started on my Alexander Coaling Tower pronto.

Bob - great work on a classic sand service facility.

Bruce - that salvage place still looks too clean. Sal must take great pride in keeping it that way.

Glen - DPM kits are such a great starting place for kitbashing. However you make the cut, make it straight and square and level. You have quite a nice town there!

To the rest, great work. I'll be joining you soon.

Galen

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000